Help with clutch!!!!

jys97cobra

Reaction score
ok, finally need a clutch. am on a tight budget. i need a good clutch which can hold my 410rwhp 360tq. thinking spec stage 2 or king cobra. also looking at aftermarket flywheels, would you guys chang the flywheel or leave the stock? car has 55k miles. if going with an aftermarket flywheel which is better steel or aluminum?. one more thing is the clutch cable. i have a 97 cobra which comes with the clutch pedal that adjusts, should i get an oem cable or go with an adjustable one?...quadrant easy to install?....and wat grease do i use to lube the fork and what not?.....thanks for any replies and help, need to order parts asap.

Magic

Reaction score
jys97cobra said:
ok, finally need a clutch. am on a tight budget. i need a good clutch which can hold my 410rwhp 360tq. thinking spec stage 2 or king cobra. also looking at aftermarket flywheels, would you guys chang the flywheel or leave the stock? car has 55k miles. if going with an aftermarket flywheel which is better steel or aluminum?. one more thing is the clutch cable. i have a 97 cobra which comes with the clutch pedal that adjusts, should i get an oem cable or go with an adjustable one?...quadrant easy to install?....and wat grease do i use to lube the fork and what not?.....thanks for any replies and help, need to order parts asap.

At that power level, I would look into something like a Ram PowerGrip or Centreforce Dual Friction (if you go with this one, you MUST subject it to a 500 mile break in before you really get on it). Also get a new throwout/release bearing as well (Some clutch kits, like the Centreforce dont include a bearing.)

I would leave the stock flywheel and get it resurfaced.

If the stock quadrant under the dash is in good shape, then just get a replacement clutch cable.

As for grease, you can use the regular multi purpose type of grease to grease up those components.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I used a King Cobra clutch, but I am not putting down nearly as much power as you. Like said above just get your flywheel resurfaced and OEM clutch cable

OP
OP
J

jys97cobra

Reaction score
when you guys do the ctluch, do u replace the pilot bearing in the crank?

OP
OP
J

jys97cobra

Reaction score
i got the steeda cable, quadrant, firewall adjuster. anyone use these?

TXbluebitch

Reaction score
do not get the king cobra i had bad luck with mine and i was only laying 300 to the ground never sliped but when the pulled it out they told me that if i hadnt blow my motor that the clutch was about to go out

OP
OP
J

jys97cobra

Reaction score
i ordered a spec flywheel billet alum and stg 1 clutch, was gonna get stg 2 but was short on cash. should be alright

OP
OP
J

jys97cobra

Reaction score
recently installed the stg1 clutch, alum spec flywheels, steeda quadrant and adjustable cable. im not used to the new clutch pedal feel. sucks it looks like i never driven a stick before. i have a firewall adjuster i didnt put in but now i want to, to change where the clutch drops.

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I can definitely relate to that, coming from a slipping clutch to the spec stage 2 it was like learning how to drive stick all over again, took me several days before I could drive it somewhat smoothly.

OP
OP
J

jys97cobra

Reaction score
the spec stg1 cluthc i got, or stg2 u have how is the starting off for you? is the chatter normal? maybe i dont know do u have to juss drop the clutch and go and you cant allow any slip or is there a problem with my installation. let me know. like when i park and release a bit it chatters pretty bad. you can hear it pretty loud. i have like 2000 miles on it since installed. but when i launch it it grabs awesome no noise.

Addermk2

Reaction score
if its still chattering, you are doing something wrong.. stop pussy footing it and just drive the car

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
I'm running a Spec stage 2 and it's never chattered. I can slip it as much as i want or let it out quickly and it's always smooth. A lot of people have trouble with Spec chattering but I just can't relate.

timpryor

Reaction score
Stage II shouldn't chatter, my stage 4 on the other hand :nonono:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online

No members online now.