Help With Connector

Vettn71

Reaction score
TThis is probably easy for some of you, but my brain has hit a flat spot. I changed out my dash on my 96: There’s a square white connector I can’t figure out where it goes. It is connected to one of the instrument cluster connectors (the ones that plug into the gauges) the wires are long enough to go almost anywhere. Any help would be appreciated
Jim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
defroster switch below the headlight switch? The switch snaps into the back dash and the shroud goes over it if it is.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I think Scott has it right. Sounds like the defroster delete plug. They put a dummy receiver into the cars that didn't have the defrost. My old car had it

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Its not the.rear defroster connector. I’m using that to power a tach. I’d post a photo, but don’t know how. Most sites you can upload from your computer, but this one doesn’t look like it will. The connector I’m talking about is small, white, four pins, starts from the left Instrument cluster connection and it’s leads are about 6 inches long

TIA

Jim

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Its not the.rear defroster connector. I’m using that to power a tach. I’d post a photo, but don’t know how. Most sites you can upload from your computer, but this one doesn’t look like it will. The connector I’m talking about is small, white, four pins, starts from the left Instrument cluster connection and it’s leads are about 6 inches long

TIA

Jim

Download Tapatalk to your phone or tablet. Then log into the forum through the app. Then you can post pics straight from the device to the forum.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
So, how do you post images?

Jim
you can upload it to a photo hosting site and copy the address. The click on the picture frame(just to the right of the smiley face) on the top of the responce bar and paste the HTTP address in. Tapatalk also allows you to upload from a phone but I have never used it.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
From Tapatalk when you go to reply there is a camera icon to post a live shot and there is a pic icon for uploading existing from your device.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
Okay. Got Tapatalk, so maybe I can move forward on this. Below is a picture of the connector

b1fafb78d837b0c0407fbce23cb97283.jpg

1adbdd1f14df8388ed0cffa95e1526e6.jpg

Many thanks to evilcw

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
first those yellow connectors that are clipped onto your ignition wires, pry them off and be sure to inspect and then insulate the wires. T-tapps have no use in automotive.

I have to say I do not recognize that connectors. Can you get a pic of the end of it where it plugs into so I can see the shape and how many wires(and wire colors can help). I have my electronics bible next to me that shows all the connectors.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what year is yours? My manual is for 94 and it shows that there could be a harness for the mach amps that looks similar but it shows all 8 pins being used and I only see 5 wires in the pic. Any chance it went down below the radio or to a harness coming up from that area?

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
This is out of a 96 GT 5+speed. I don’t know about fitting to any of the stereo connectors. Doesn’t look long enough, but maybe it’s not run properly. Plus, I don’t see any other wires coming out of the back that may have been cut. Thanks for helping

Jim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
there is an amp under the deck for the mach amps. IIRC it has two harnesses coming out, one that goes up by the stereo and I have no idea where the other went. Now that I think about it there was another stereo harness that connected to the drivers door speakers in the kick panel if it can reach the other way. My manual also doesn't go past 94 though so it may have nothing to do with the stereo and could be something added after.

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
I’m still unsure what’re it goes. It comes out of the left harness that goes to the gauges (speedo and tach, etc). Nothing I can see near the stereo

Thanks,

OP
OP
Vettn71

Vettn71

Reaction score
You may be right. I think (IIRC) had the clock on top of the dash, but the dash is out of a 2001, which doesn’t

I think that is it!

Thank you, ttocs

Jim

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
After some looking in my electrical bible it looked like it could be and I happened to have a sn clock here next to me and it looks like it could fit. Cool

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online