Help with Ignition Lock and Chime

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey everyone, I have my ignition lock out right now because I'm doing stuff to the car; question: there's this little black plastic thing with what looks like a metal tab that makes contact to something. I'm thinking it's some switch for the chime to come on if a key is inserted. I replaced the stock ignition lock a while back with a new one and never really got the chime thing to install or work correctly. It's possible I did have it installed correctly, but it always fit pretty loose and the chime didn't always work. Even when I hold the plastic thing up to where the ignition lock goes, I can sort of see maybe where it goes, but it doesn't really clip in to anything - but it looks like it should! Anyway, I figure I am doing it wrong.

Can anyone tell me how this thing is supposed to go with the ignition lock installed? Pics would be awesome, as they are worth many words. But words are welcome too. Any help guys?

Here's what I'm talking about - it's the little black plastic thing with the wire attached:

IMG_4042.jpg

Is this how it's supposed to go? It's got a little clip thing on it that literally clips on to nothing - this can't be right :(

IMG_4043.jpg

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score

That's mine. I didn't take my column covers off, but I can if you need me to. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
!

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Anything?

You ask for a picture and I tear apart my column just to give you one, then you don't respond. What kind of crap is that?
I'm just kidding, carry on. lol

Wow, I totally didn't even see the thread update! I'm so sorry man :( I really appreciate you doing that!

Hmm, okay so looking at your picture, it looks like your chime thingie is a little different than mine. You see yours where the little metal strip is, it seems to be resting against a piece of plastic. On mine, the little metal strip is just sort of hanging out there. I wonder if my piece is actually broken? I'm going to see if it will fit in that groove and stay there like yours does. Thanks a million!!!

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Its all good, the car is in pieces anyway and it only took 30 seconds for the picture lol. Also, I saw what the plastic as you described the moment I took the picture. So I am also wondering if your tab is broken off or if the design is a little different. If I can help any other way, let me know.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's mine. I didn't take my column covers off, but I can if you need me to. Hope this helps! :thumbsup:
!

Actually, if you could take the column cover off that would be a great help! If it's too much of a PITA then no worries. I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing a piece. You have a black trim ring looking thing that goes around the cylinder - I don't have that. And I don't see yet how the chime thingie stays in place.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Actually, if you could take the column cover off that would be a great help! If it's too much of a PITA then no worries. I'm starting to wonder if I'm missing a piece. You have a black trim ring looking thing that goes around the cylinder - I don't have that. And I don't see yet how the chime thingie stays in place.

Alright, im on my way out into the shop to get that for you. I will document well.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
All the pictures are taken with the column in this position, just for reference

Ring that holds it all in place

And I found your little plastic tab that goes under the metal connection lol.

Looks like these things get brittle because I didn't even try to remove mine. All I did was move it around a little bit and that tab fell out.

Thanks for breaking my ignition too!

Again, I am only joking.
Let me know if you need any other pictures or if you want me to pull it apart and document how it goes back together, I can do that too.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
All the pictures are taken with the column in this position, just for reference

Ring that holds it all in place

And I found your little plastic tab that goes under the metal connection lol.

Looks like these things get brittle because I didn't even try to remove mine. All I did was move it around a little bit and that tab fell out.

Thanks for breaking my ignition too!

Again, I am only joking.
Let me know if you need any other pictures or if you want me to pull it apart and document how it goes back together, I can do that too.

SABBBOOOOOTAAAGGEE! Lol. Thanks for doing all that - sorry it broke on you :( Interestingly enough, yours looks different - do you have PATS on your car? That whole black box/ring thing that seems to surround the cylinder - I don't have that. I'm thinking that's the thing that reads the key? When I get home, I'm going to fiddle with it. Your pics helped a ton dude, thanks so much for going out of your way to get those for me, I really appreciate it!

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
yes the black box with the FCC id and with the ring around the cylinder it is the passive transponder receiver.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I pretty sure ttocs is correct. I think I do have pats. Also, its really no trouble lol. As I said my car is in pieces so its real easy for me to take things apart.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I pretty sure ttocs is correct. I think I do have pats. Also, its really no trouble lol. As I said my car is in pieces so its real easy for me to take things apart.

What, you mean you don't normally just have steering columns laying around? I thought everyone had steering columns laying around! :D

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
virocanah

Members online

No members online now.