Help with steering slop

07GtS197

Reaction score
Hey guys I need your help with something. I recently bought an 02 gt and noticed theres a little slop in the steering wheel like its loose. Ive checked all the front suspension loaded and unloaded and nothing seems loose. The only things Ive found were the outer tie rod boots are cracked and the end link bushings look compressed. What do you guys think?

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Check the firewall. There is a bearing that the steering shaft rides on when it goes through the firewall. They tend to wear out over time. I need to replace the one in my car sometime this winter.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
How do I check it and where would I get a new one?

If you get under the car you should be able to just feel slop in it by grabbing it and trying to push it up, down, left or right. You could also have someone turn the wheel while your under there and watch for play on the bearing. I don't know if anyone sells new ones or not. I got mine from a parts car I had at the time. I have 2 more now if you need one I can check theirs for you.

SVTstang96

Reaction score
Thanks man Ill try it this tuesday when Im off. If you have a good one just send me a pm with a price and Ill probably pick it up just in case. Thanks man.

http://www.partsgeek.com/gbproducts...+Google+Base&gclid=CIbuhtOWo8kCFcaPHwodokoP5w

Is this it?

Nope, This is it.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/141017700922?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

and here is another thread about them

http://mustangforums.com/forum/4-6l-general-discussion/566370-steering-column-bearing.html

If you need one they are $20 shipped.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Well theres no slop in that bearing :(. At this point I think its the rag joint, lucky me...

DKblue98GT

Reaction score
I had the same issue with my 98GT. I replaced everything in the front suspension, outer tie rod ends, ball joints, I even installed poly control arm bushings, solid rack bushings and a bump steer kit. The steering still had slop... The last thing I did was install a Maximum Motorsports steering shaft. The steering shaft removed all the slop from the steering. It's not a cheap fix but it's the first thing I would do to a new to me Mustang.

Happy Thanksgiving!

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
Thanks man, it looks like Ill have to do some saving up lol. Happy thanksgiving to all you guys too!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I'd say those factory bushings might be a tad worn out!!! :)

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
No kidding lol. Do you think that could be my problem?

That's at least part of it. I'd replace those with urethane bishops and see how it feels then.

Not to mention that by tightening that back up you will easily see if anything else is loose afterwards.

OP
OP
07GtS197

07GtS197

Reaction score
That's at least part of it. I'd replace those with urethane bishops and see how it feels then.

Not to mention that by tightening that back up you will easily see if anything else is loose afterwards.

Luckily I had poly bushings on order before I found this out. Ill definitely try it and report back later this week.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online