Help x-pipe rounded nut!

bigB653

Reaction score
:angry4:
Ok, so after taking all of ten minutes to unbolt every bolt/nut on the stock h-pipe to replace it with my Bassani o/r x pipe, I get to the last nut (passenger's side above the starter, closest to the wheel well) and I round off the damn thing! I really want to keep the stock h-pipe in place incase I need to swap it back in for emissions. I definitely don't want to damage the header or stud. I am stuck and not sure what to do. I'm open to any ideas, i've tried the following:
All different assortments of sockets, wrenches and extensions (this includes Gator-grip crap from Craftsman which i returned btw, the Craftsman bolt-out kit which isn't deep enough, and i'm thinking about trying Grip-tite super sockets because they claim to be able to get off any nuts/bolts even if they are rounded off). I cannot fit a Dremel, a hacksaw, a nut splitter or a cutting wheel in there either without the starter being taken off.
My next plan is to remove the starter ( i got two bolts out and it wouldn't come free, then I found a third? but have no clue how to get a socket on to it - its close to the block on the top side of the starter) I was going to try removing the header and hopefully I would be able to pull it out and get the bolt off easier with a set of locking pliers. Any tips from those of you who have been in this scenario would be great. I really don't want to drop the k-member due to not knowing what all this entails to be honest. I hate when 1-2 hour jobs turn into multiple day jobs.....
P.S. I don't have a welder to weld another nut on to remove the old one, besides I don't know how to weld. Also, I don't have a acetylene torch (but I have a feeling I should get one to have around in such a case).

JDwhite98gt

Reaction score
ok your making it way too difficult on yourself. First order of business is getting that starter bolt out. Get about 3 long 3/8 extensions, a 3/8 swivel (good quality) and a short 13mm socket(i think thats the size for the starter bolts). get the extensions all put together with swivel and socket and feed it from the front of your car through the k member and towards the starter. It sounds crazy but there is just enough space to feed the extensions through and when u find the right spot you'll run right smack dab into that pesky starter bolt. And for the future DONT PUT THE TOP BOLT BACK IN. If you have to take headers off to get to the bolt ur doing something wrong. Then spend the money on a good quality rounded nut socket or whatever or just use the dremel with an extension.

OP
OP
B

bigB653

Reaction score
Venom - that seems cool and like a good idea. But I don't think that will fit either without the starter being off.

JDwhite98gt - Am I correct that there are 3 bolts holding the starter on, or is it just two? Every write-up i've read says two, and I got the bolt out that you're talking about (I think). Doing exactly what you described. There is one in plain sight on the bottom side of the starter, and one above the starter solenoid but kinda to the left of the starter (this one is the one you use extensions through the k-member for i'm thinking.

Thanks for your ideas guys, i'll keep you updated!

1996mustangGT

Reaction score
THERE ARE THREE BOLTS ON THE STARTER!!!! lol trust me i destroyed mine pulling the trans with only two out.

I did the same thing and had to end up welding a socket to the bolt and backing it out that way.

stanger

Reaction score
I would love to offer advice on this subject but I tried for THREE days to get mine off and finally had to take it to a shop and have it removed. I know... I'm ashamed that I couldn't do it myself...but man she sounds good now!

OP
OP
B

bigB653

Reaction score
I WIN :laughing5::....just in time to get owned by freezing rain... :angry7:
So I went to Sears again to buy the correct set of Grip-Tite super sockets, grabbed the 15mm socket, threw it on there nice and snug, grabbed my swivel and a few extensions, and the thing came off NO PROBLEM! I am VERY impressed. These sockets work just as advertised. (I sware i'm not paid by them, lol) but they just made my day and I have to share how awesome they are. I'm still kind of shocked. BTW, i'm typing this up while I get warm. Then its back out in the freezing rain to finish putting on the Bassani x :headbang: Also, should I buy the Borla Stingers new for $563.99? :evil5:

WarHorse

Reaction score
congrats man, hope i dont run into the same crap doing my catback tomorrow.

OP
OP
B

bigB653

Reaction score
I would definitely recommend that you spray the bolts down first thing with wd40 or liquid wrench or pb blaster. Just to be safe and make life easier.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Markstang73

Members online

No members online now.