Hesitating bout putting in the gears

xlilzeex

Reaction score
I went shopping around today at some local shops for my gears. This guy at this one shop i went to actually owns a stang and has been building them all his life. He told me that putting in gears with such high mileage on my car and tranny wasnt such a good idea. Right now on the clock i have 185.5 k on it. Yeah i know its a lot. I got the tranny re built last year. Its a 96 GT Auto. Now since talking to this guy he kind of has me hesitating, and im sure he wouldnt have told me this if he didnt know better because every other shop just gives me a price, this guy actually sat down and had a conversation with me for about a half hour. What do you guys think, should i hold off on the gears or just say the heck with it and throw them in there?

Downshift

Reaction score
well it all depends on how that car was taken care of. Ya thats a lot of miles no matter how well it was taken care of.....BUT you will love gears man trust me. They are great and well that motor is gonna go someday I highly doubt the gears will kill it so much faster than you trying to get that feeling gears would give you with less pedal effort. Go for it man. It blows then rebuild it or go crazy on the engine. Dont wanna be stranded and are that worried hold off and rebuild first. Goodluck.

Foster98GT

Reaction score
Sounds like you want more power or at least the feeling of more power(gears). With 185k gears wouldnt kill it no faster than your right foot. My car has 125k and i got gears a couple of months ago, its the best thing ive done to my turd yet.....Also DONT FEAR THE GEAR!

Edit.........I fixed it!

94Vert

Reaction score
Foster98GT said:
Sounds like you want more power or at least the feeling of more power(gears). With 185k gears wouldnt kill it no faster than your left foot. My car has 125k and i got gears a couple of months ago, its the best thing ive done to my turd yet.....Also DONT FEAR THE GEAR!

How do you hit the gas with your left foot? Sounds dangerous.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
94Vert said:
Foster98GT said:
Sounds like you want more power or at least the feeling of more power(gears). With 185k gears wouldnt kill it no faster than your left foot. My car has 125k and i got gears a couple of months ago, its the best thing ive done to my turd yet.....Also DONT FEAR THE GEAR!

How do you hit the gas with your left foot? Sounds dangerous.
:hammer: :hammer: :dunno:

i dont see the problem with throwing the gears in..

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
No offense to that guy, but i would like to know how changing the gear ratio of the engine RPM's to the Rotation of the tires is going to hurt the car. You have a better chance blowing that car up with your right foot more than you do these gears.

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
KB said:
No offense to that guy, but i would like to know how changing the gear ratio of the engine RPM's to the Rotation of the tires is going to hurt the car. You have a better chance blowing that car up with your right foot more than you do these gears.

yeah, i think paul has it right... his statement doesn't make much sense.. to me..

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
I think that gears would be o.k. as long as you don't drive like a total dickhead. But I would not go with 4:10's. I would go with 3:73's like I did.

KB said:

The guy he was talking to has a very valid point. 4:10 gears would in my opinion be making the engine work to hard for daily driving, that is why I did not go with 4:10 gears in my car. It now has 146,336 miles on the clock. 3:73 gears raised my engine RPM's by 200 at 65mph, from 2000rpm up to 2200rpm. 4:10 gears would raise it another 200-400rpm's higher than that, making a cruising rpm of 2400-2600rpm. If you have a lead foot on the highway and run it at 70-75mph, that would really bring up the rpm's. On a high milage engine, that would add alot of wear and tear on the engine internals.

I am not saying don't put gears in the car, but be careful what gears you put in the car.

95KBGT

Legend
Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
I think that gears would be o.k. as long as you don't drive like a total dickhead. But I would not go with 4:10's. I would go with 3:73's like I did.

KB said:

The guy he was talking to has a very valid point. 4:10 gears would in my opinion be making the engine work to hard for daily driving, that is why I did not go with 4:10 gears in my car. It now has 146,336 miles on the clock. 3:73 gears raised my engine RPM's by 200 at 65mph, from 2000rpm up to 2200rpm. 4:10 gears would raise it another 200-400rpm's higher than that, making a cruising rpm of 2400-2600rpm. If you have a lead foot on the highway and run it at 70-75mph, that would really bring up the rpm's. On a high milage engine, that would add alot of wear and tear on the engine internals.

I am not saying don't put gears in the car, but be careful what gears you put in the car.
i agree but it is an Auto car that the gears are going in, now if you wanted to go 5.88's i could see where this guy has a point

Z28 This

Reaction score
a good friend of mine has a 94 gt(stock h/c/i) with 190k miles 4.10s with 100 shot and its still kickin assss....dont fear the gear :)

TxCobrA98

Legend
Reaction score
Z28 This said:
a good friend of mine has a 94 gt(stock h/c/i) with 190k miles 4.10s with 100 shot and its still kickin assss....dont fear the gear :)

dang..

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
dont gears make it easier for your engine to get your car up to speed? seems like there is more stress on the engine if your trying to accelerate in 5th as opposed to 2nd.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
phil_the_thrill said:
dont gears make it easier for your engine to get your car up to speed? seems like there is more stress on the engine if your trying to accelerate in 5th as opposed to 2nd.

Yes it helps you get up to speed faster. But it also makes your engine work harder at higway speeds.

phil_the_thrill

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
phil_the_thrill said:

Yes it helps you get up to speed faster. But it also makes your engine work harder at higway speeds.

aahhhh, highway speeds, touche

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online

No members online now.