hmm whats the best way to make 350-400rwhp n/a on a budget

hottwheels04

Reaction score
I'm really interested on where i could buy a good 351windsor with some aluminum heads / crate motor that will be cheap and make 350-400rwhp

I was gonna go the turbo/ charger route, but i have a stock bottom end 302, and i found out all the shit i would need like supporting mods, power adder , boost cooler,new pistons and a really isane tune to make it run good, and thats way out of my budget, but some guy at my local shop had a 393 stroker motor putting down like 525hp and it was about $9,000 altogether, wheres a good 351 crate motor with some good flowing aluminum heads i can have built on a budget to make about 400rwhp O0, because my other route with the charger thats like $10,000+ for all my parts and labor, and a bigger motor was like that guys budget 9,000+, i was wondering can i have a 351 with abudget around 5,000 and make 400rwhp n/a, because 400hp is the perfect power.

Magic

Reaction score
pick up your favourite Mustang magazine and flip thru the various advertisers ads. Or pick up a Ford Racing catalog and have a look at the various 351W based crate engines they offer.

OP
OP
H

hottwheels04

Reaction score
yeah thanks, yeah im looking at the 351-392 ford crate motor, but its like 8,700 :comando: :lame:, thats not including all the other shit and if ur counting labor , thats deff 10,000 + :mad:, im also looking at ford's 302 crate motors, they have the gt40 crate motor with either a 345hp or 340hp 1 for $3700 and it comes with either a b or e cam , im just wondering if i should keep my current 302 and slap heads on it or buy 1 of these or build up a nice 351 na

Suspect

Reaction score
u can get that out of a stoker 302. high comp 331 or 347 with the right heads can put u there. just check out peoples combos on the corral, theyre every where.

Magic

Reaction score
Suspect said:
u can get that out of a stoker 302. high comp 331 or 347 with the right heads can put u there. just check out peoples combos on the corral, theyre every where.

One of the guys I know has a street driven 331 fuel injected. With ported Edelbrock Performer heads (old style), with a ported Victor 5.0 efi intake, custom cam, around 11:1 compression and buzzing it to around 6500 rpm, he put down around 380-390 RWHP thru a T5.

He could do the same thing, maybe with a set of out of the box Victor Jr. heads and ported Victor 5.0 EFI intake along with a custom cam.

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
400 rwhp is almost 500 flywheel horsepower. Making that much power isn't necessarily easy on a budget. I'd build a budget 418 (cast crank, I-beams, SRPs) with about 10½:1 compression in order to retain pump gas friendliness. Then add a large-ish custom cam, nice heads (AFR205s would be a good choice) with a TFS-R intake, 80mm TB, big longtubes, and nice exhaust and you should get there. Make sure to get a decent valvetrain (no nothing super exotic is needed) to work with the cam. Of course, if you run hydraulic roller, you'll get to have fun with either a retrofit cam, or expensive retrofit lifters.

FWIW, I've had two Windsor strokers and neither were cheap to build.

Paul.

drifts14x

Reaction score
Fast, Cheap, Reliable, Pick Two. I don't think you should be rushing into a build on a small budget. Take your time, save your money, buy it right and you'll only have to buy it once. Work your support mods, get some heads, get an intake manifold, get a TB, then start saving for a stroker kit and make that sucker sing, a good 347 should put you well into the 300's, and with supporting mods, 400 is not far away. Remember this though, Transmission takes a dive somewhere around 500whp

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
Several good points above. Except the tranny will go south long before 500 rwhp, especially if abused.

MeanGrn Gt

Reaction score
dont buy a crate motor. you can have a much better motor built for you for for the price of a crate motor

94Vert

Reaction score
just buy a blower, with a maf you can push 350 hp, and it will be more street friendly and reliable

Schiffy

Reaction score
I've got a buddy of mine, who just bought a motor through THR (Texas hot Rods)that makes 450hp to the wheels... he paid less than $6500 including it being shipped... it's a 331, with Trick flow heads and a stock Cobra intake, and a full Trick flow valvetrain with a custom ground cam. once he jumps from the Cobra intake to somethign that flows better, it'll give him a little more to the wheels... shop around, there are a lot of places that build engines... THR being one of the cheaper ones, if he blows it up, i'll be sure and post it, but i doubt he will... motor seems to be a beast. :pimp2:

Paul

Legend
Reaction score
BadBlack95GT said:
I've got a buddy of mine, who just bought a motor through THR (Texas hot Rods)that makes 450hp to the wheels... he paid less than $6500 including it being shipped... it's a 331, with Trick flow heads and a stock Cobra intake, and a full Trick flow valvetrain with a custom ground cam.

bsmeter.gif

smiles-bsflag.gif

Not without nitrous or boost it doesn't. :khobra:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online