Home Made PCV Oil Seperator

reivaxtorres

Reaction score
so i've been feeling a little down because of family situations lately, and usually working on my car always puts me in a happier mood. i have been looking into getting an oil seperator for my car, but at the $70+ that both steeda and MM want, i opted at making my own.

all in all, it wasnt too expensive, and it was easy as pie to install. here is a little how-to that i made. im sure its just as easy for the 4v's, but i have a 2v and the pics are from a 2v.

parts needed:

1) Husky General Purpose Filter, $22.49 + tax at Home Depot. Lowes has a similar one under the Dewalt brand, but the Husky version is black, as compared to the blue of the Dewalt. i didnt take pics of the filter outside of the box and before i installed it, but i took a pic of the label and of it after i installed it.

OilSeperator009resized.jpg

2) you will need 2 (two) 3/8" NPT x 3/8" MIP adapters, $2.48 each at Lowes. likewise, i didnt take pics of these before i installed them, but i did take pics of the labels. in the post install pics, they are 2 brass fittings on the top of the filter.

OilSeperator010resized.jpg

3) Thread Seal Tape, $.97 at Lowes. this is that white tape stuff you use to insure you dont get leaks.

4) Nylon Zip Ties, 20 pack for $1.74 @ Lowes. im too lazy to make brackets and whatever, so i use zip ties on everything. hahahaha

5) 3' or more of 3/8" heater/fuel/emissions hose, $1.70 at autozone.

anyways, this is very easy to install.

1) the filter comes assembled, all you have to do is put some of that thread tape on the threaded ends of the adapters, and then screw them into the top of the filter.

see the picture below so you can see how the fittings fit.

2) next thing you need to do is find a sutable mounting location for your oil seperator. i zip tied it to the strut brace on the passanger side. i like zip ties because i can fasten them to anything, dont have to alter anything, and they will old. only down side is they arent reusable

OilSeperator003resized.jpg

3) remove the tube that goes from the PCV to the plennum, including the rubber at the ends. you wont need this tube anymore, but i suggest you dont discard it, instead save it somewhere.

4) from the 3/8" hose you bought, cut enough of it so that it reaches from the PCV valve to the inlet of the filter. i pointed the PCV valve towards the back, and routed the hose behind the fuel pressure regulator and into the filter.

OilSeperator004resized.jpg

5) now, with the rest of the 3/8" hose, plug it into the outlet of the filter and then plug the other end into the plennum. i routed mine similar to how the factory tube was routed, but then i routed it under the intake tube and then up to the outlet.

6) if you want to, plug a piece of the hose to the bottom of the filter (drain) so you can have easy access to drain it when the time comes. me, ill prob just unscrew it and then drain it back into the engine.

and the finished product:

OilSeperator001resized.jpg

now you're done. im not sure how often you have to check it, or drain it, but i will be checking it daily for at least a week or two to see if i can see a pattern going.

1FastGT

Reaction score
whats the actual point of a separator maybe i missed something? but isnt that more for turbo cars?

svt3565

Reaction score
I heard this is something you do if your burining oil. Which I need to do. Is this right, or something else?

MikeF

Reaction score
works great on sc and turbo car you get bl;ow by under boost i tapped both valve covers then tie that into catch can and plugged off pvc valve

danielson631

Reaction score
ive heard that 4v engines (not sure about 2v) commonly suck oil through the pcv. on my old engine i know it sucked hella oil and some was prob slipping by the rings too cause i was burning a lot. but on the new engine and new pcv and everything, theres still oil going through the damn thing

im going to use this write up.. THANKS!!!. i was looking all around on google and they all sucked but then i found this one and it was right under my nose the whole time. DOH!

jenifer25

Reaction score

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online