Horsepower, Torque and the Space Between

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
..........keep in mind a diesel held the land speed record for how long? Torque rules all.....f1 cars, miatas, s2000's, their biggest benifit besides high reving is power to weight ratios, but youre already working on that.....
Just my 2 cents

But that's not really the case. It really depends on the application. In your example, it's very specific to land speed records. So the car has to overcome a LOT of drag resistance at those velocities. One can do it with a lot of torque - as is the case with the JCB....or with a lot of hp as others have done. Torque and hp are simply two sides to the same thing.

So, to an extent, you are right. If you have two engines making the same hp, the one with more tq will be faster. However, if you have two engines, and one makes more hp than the other, chances are that engine will be quicker. So torque doesn't rule all - the intelligent application of gears to your power band (and thus power) is what rules all. In fact, the S2000 will out accelerate the JCB from a stop. At some point, of course, the JCB will overcome it. But in your example, "fast" means only top speed.

Still not convinced? How about this: the JCB took a mile to hit 350 mph. It had 750 hp and 1100 ft-lb of torque. A funny car dragster has hit 322 mph (granted not 350, but pretty damn close) in like 3.9 seconds. And does it in a quarter of the distance the JCB took. Do you think the funny car has more hp or more tq? ....... If you said tq, you'd be wrong. It's something like 8000 hp (at something like 8200 rpm), with something like 6000 ft-lb of torque. Here, torque is certainly not ruling all....

Nighttrain

Reaction score
But that's not really the case. It really depends on the application. In your example, it's very specific to land speed records. So the car has to overcome a LOT of drag resistance at those velocities. One can do it with a lot of torque - as is the case with the JCB....or with a lot of hp as others have done. Torque and hp are simply two sides to the same thing.

So, to an extent, you are right. If you have two engines making the same hp, the one with more tq will be faster. However, if you have two engines, and one makes more hp than the other, chances are that engine will be quicker. So torque doesn't rule all - the intelligent application of gears to your power band (and thus power) is what rules all. In fact, the S2000 will out accelerate the JCB from a stop. At some point, of course, the JCB will overcome it. But in your example, "fast" means only top speed.

Still not convinced? How about this: the JCB took a mile to hit 350 mph. It had 750 hp and 1100 ft-lb of torque. A funny car dragster has hit 322 mph (granted not 350, but pretty damn close) in like 3.9 seconds. And does it in a quarter of the distance the JCB took. Do you think the funny car has more hp or more tq? ....... If you said tq, you'd be wrong. It's something like 8000 hp (at something like 8200 rpm), with something like 6000 ft-lb of torque. Here, torque is certainly not ruling all....

But in order to get that hp you have to have tq.

The africa trip brought out a phylosofer ( why isnt spell check working :deeplist:) anyway torque gets you there hp keeps you there. Its all a play with what you have and what you want. Intakes, cams, will move your powerband up and down the rpm range however you want it. Yes gearing plays a huge role. Move that power band into the 3500-4500 range and put 2.73's in for a nice top end. If youre racing in a straight line. Go with a shorter ratio. My point with the diesel was high torque motor will also be a high hp.

Nighttrain

Reaction score
I liked where this was going. Any other phylosophical words of wisdom @mcgslr2?
I love the discussion lol not trying to be a :2dlvxj6: i like the banter.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I liked where this was going. Any other phylosophical words of wisdom @mcgslr2?
I love the discussion lol not trying to be a :2dlvxj6: i like the banter.

Lol I have lots. I'll create posts as I think of them - the thing is, I tend to do a lot of research/thinking/reading before posting something. I don't like pulling something out of my butt and throwing it on the forum. So I tend to think about things before I post, to make sure I understand what I am saying.

And discussions are great, that's the point here :)

OLD H2S

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And now Ford brings out the 10 speed transmission. They can run a peaky cam and keep the RPM right in the middle all the time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online