how do i- 98GT to 5.0 swap???

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
with respect to everyone ....so wat if he types "chat" remember the rules if you donthave nothing nice to say dont say anything ....your gonna start pushing ppl away .....one reason why i like this place cause there is no dominant "group" of ppl be rude bossy etc

just chill if you wanna be mean ......we have PM's for a reason

justinschmidt1

Post Whore
Reaction score
yea I guess...lol..I just feel like I would actually be going out of my way to type like that...I would have to think about it.

But if that's how you type, go for it.

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
its just like speaking with an accent ......back east you guys sound so weird to me but im the one who sounds weird to you lol

OP
OP

98GTnSC

Reaction score
thanks but if anyone could help me then that'd be great. so what exactly should i have and what would i need to do to transfer a carbed 302/347 or chevy 350 into my 98 GT. the reason i'm not selling my 98 for a 94-95 is because i want a carbed mustang(out of preference) and my 98 has only 62,XXX miles on it. thanks to anyone who can help

G

GREG@SN95

dropping in a chevy small block would be a huge pain in the butt, cost alot, require a ton of custom fab... not worth it...

Don't understand why you would even consider it, drop in a built 351w for the cost and make much more power and have money left over...

OP
OP

98GTnSC

Reaction score
wud making sum custom engine mounts and all be that much truble? i mean i already got the 350 thats why id like to do that(and more power for the $). what would i have to do for the driveshaft and rearend? would i need to mayb get a custom driveshaft? probably gonna run a turbo350 or turbo400 trans

Gus98GT

Reaction score
i dont know about you guys but if you swap an 95-79 motor in a 96+ car it wont pass the emissions CEL would be on. wouldnt work for NY owners...

i would sell the 98 and buy 94 - 95 easier then swaping

OP
OP

98GTnSC

Reaction score
well im n SC and we dont hav emissions testing and all. and my 98 has only 62k on it. so the body doesnt hav 100k+ on it like a 94-95 wud have. and how wud a 94-95 b ne easier 2 swap a 350 n2 neways?

OP
OP

98GTnSC

Reaction score
i understand thatd itd b easier 2 get a 94-95 with the 5.0 cuz of the ecu and all. but im wanting 2 hav a carbed 5.0 or more thatn likely the 350 i already hav. so wut wud i have 2 do 4 that?

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
98GTnSC said:
i understand thatd itd b easier 2 get a 94-95 with the 5.0 cuz of the ecu and all. but im wanting 2 hav a carbed 5.0 or more thatn likely the 350 i already hav. so wut wud i have 2 do 4 that?

a chevy 350?? or a ford 351?........

D3VST8R96GT

Reaction score
rebelyell said:
dropping in a chevy small block would be a huge pain in the butt, cost alot, require a ton of custom fab...

do you have an extra car to use while your stang is down???

do you have any experience welding and doing custom fab work??

even for an experience person doing it full time it would take awhile to finish the project

95PGTTech

Reaction score
purchase a wrecked 1994 or 1995 mustang gt with the transmission you'd like. it will have all the parts you require, and likely be the lowest headache/lowest cost method.

motor
trans
engine wiring harness
fuse box and front accessory wiring
dash, gauge cluster, dash wiring
ECU
K member and motor mounts
driveshaft
headers, midpipe, intake tube
fuel tank, pump, sender, lines
steering rack, power steering lines, brake booster, brake master cylinder, misc brake lines

A quick list off the top of my head.
The closer you come to making it an OEM 1994 or 1995 GT the easier it is going to be to upgrade the car in the future, fix possible issues, diagnose problems - if you start cutting and splicing and "making" stuff work, congratulations you own a completely custom car, I hope you know how to fix it.

This is one case where I believe in this economy I think it is cheaper to swap yours. 1994 and 1995 GTs in working condition are skyrocketing fast, where as your NPI is falling fast. You would need to find a wrecked one or a very heavy "rebuildable" in order to make it cost effective, something no buyers are looking at to put back on the road. Just "easy" wise it makes sense to outright buy a working 94-95GT and sell your car, but it depends on the deal you find on the wreck and your mechanical ability.

As far as the comments about customization/time involved, if you get a complete donor car there is zero customization involved, it is straightforward parts replacement. As far as time involved, a normal person could take a week off of work or school and bang this out in 4-5 eight hour days. If I still worked at the dealer and had access to my three lifts side by side and a lot of exclusive tools (like a trans jack, overhead engine dolly, etc.), this could be done in a day or two working hard.

OP
OP

98GTnSC

Reaction score
is that list all the parts that the 94-95 wold have that i need that my 98 doesn't? and what motor are those all the right parts for? the 5.0?

95PGTTech

Reaction score
both cars have all those parts, both cars just have different versions of the same part. all those above listed are from a 94 or 95 mustang gt. you literally need to buy a donor car to have any chance of it being reliable/serviceable in the future.

OP
OP

98GTnSC

Reaction score
well mayb ill just have 2 stick with the 2V mod 4 my 98. i want a fox coupe BAD neways. think thatd b better?

95PGTTech

Reaction score
do not take this offensively, but based on the way you asked and responded to this sort of question, you're not a terribly experienced mechanic.

so yes, for you, a 5.0 fox would (assuming equally good condition) be a good switch. it is more user friendly, there is a ton more info out there and a lot less special tools to crack into the motor and do it correctly, and the weight reduction helps any racing cause.