How is spark plug access?

Promodmerc67

Reaction score
I'm in the market for an SN95 and I'm wondering how hard it is to access spark plugs on the 94-95. Just from pictures I've seen it looks like a *****. But you can't always tell from just pictures.

The 4.6 I know as I had '97 Cougar for a few years. One of the easiest engines I've encountered to change plugs on.

OP
OP
Promodmerc67

Promodmerc67

Reaction score
Thank you. It's making an unmolested '94 T-5 I saw on craigs list look better for $2900.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Yeah man its easy honestly, wouldn't kid ya. I'm 18, learned how to do plugs 2 years ago when i got my 95. Its simple enough

RichV

Reaction score
Bubblegum and rainbows.

ScottyDsntKnow

Reaction score
Only one that is slightly hard is the one by the master cylinder. Its one of the easiest ones to do. I do agree that the modular is super easy to do the plugs on too, only problem with the modular is ppl overtightening the plugs in aluminum heads with only 4 threads. I never used a torque wrench for plugs on the iron heads in the pushrod but for the modulars I have I sure as hell do.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well now with the right headers is not problem but with a set of equal length headers I hear its not so easy...

whiplash473

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well now with the right headers is not problem but with a set of equal length headers I hear its not so easy...
What he said. With a set of full lengths or stock manifolds it's actually not bad whatsoever. Throw a set of equal length shorties on and there's two or three that just plain suck.

Edit: although even with the equal shorties I've done worse. I had to cut, greatly shorten, weld back together and bend a wrench to change the plugs on my old man's '66 GTO with his long tube Hookers.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
I have equal length headers and my knuckles hate them.

* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Don't get a set of GT40P heads and plan on changing the spark plugs that's for sure. Those heads are junk lol. I've got a set of Pypes polished stainless headers now I can stick my hand in between each one. There like 249? At summit give them a look I'm sure you will like them.

Addermk2

Reaction score
If the difficulty of a spark plug change, is going to keep you from purchasing a car... maybe you should get friendly with a mechanic.

or go buy a Huffy.

99GreenStang

Reaction score
Get some headers that make it easy on you if your that worried about it. Like I mentioned before the biggest pain I've experienced is with the GT40P heads basically gotta remove the headers to get plugs in and out it's ridiculous and there's no performance in them.

Basically all you need is

3/8 ratchet
Spark plug socket
Assortment of extensions
Plug gapper
Maybe a swivel if you want?

Everything I listed you can 9 times out of 10 find in any garage even if they aren't mechanics. Very easy give it a shot friend it's always good to try something that's a challenge to yourself and build self confidence and know how to do something yourself in case you have too! Good Luck!!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online