How much should I pay for used struts?

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
I've read up on sn95 about struts so I posted a WTB on Corral and SVT that I'm looking for take off Cobra Bilstein struts, or for used aftermarket.

So far I have a message from someone who has take off Cobras with 35k, and someone who has aftermarkets that they claim have 5k on them.

Is one option better than the other? What questions should I ask, how much should should I expect to pay for each choice?

Thanks!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You can always just send them back to Bilstein to have them rebuild.

I've seen them go from anyround around $100-$175 for a pair of front struts.

OP
OP
krazyrabbit

krazyrabbit

Reaction score
Hum, according to the Bilstein service site rebuilds on struts is now $85. So for two to be rebuilt it's going to come to $170 + shipping. If you buy used, say $125, going to pay almost $300 for as set and for new they run about $450 for two. Shoot, for a difference of $150 might as well save up and buy new!

Ferocious

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The chances of them needing a rebuild is going to be pretty slim. Especially with anything under 75000 miles.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
If they adjust fine and you press them in and they come back at the proper rate you're good.

RichV

Reaction score
They are expensive used. Do you really need them? You can get a good set of Konis or Tokicos for much less, even new. I think you answered your own question, $100 or so would probably be the most. If you really trust the seller, maybe $200. My general rule is never pay more that 50% of new on a used part. I've rolled the dice with used stuff from sellers, ive been bit once or twice, but for the most part Mustang sellers seem to be stand up.

I will say that Bilstein makes badass shocks and can't be beat on the track.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online