how often?

thorco3

Reaction score
hmm sorta surprised to read some of your guys comments on the K&N filters. The reason you need to oil your K&N filter is because it is an oil based filter. The oil itself is trapping the majority of dirt. An unoiled K&N filter is not going to be doing its job, simple as that.

just don't get carried away and hose it down or anything. That is where you can run into some idle surge due to excess oil that has found it's way onto the maf wire. Can easily be cleaned with a shot of carb cleaner though.

Mustang68

Reaction score
the paperwork that came with mine said once every 50K.. but ive already done it once at 10K.. and didnt have any problems when i re-oiled it with their re-charge kit.. gave the bath tub a nice red ring around the drain when i washed it to begin with like the directions said to do... hehe.. but came out when i rinsed down the tub...

Venom351R

Legend
Reaction score
You should re oil the filter thats what they are meant for. Its not something that needs to be done every other oil change unless you want to do it that often but you really dont have to. It takes quite a bit of dirt and gunk before these filters really need to be cleaned.

95 BLOWN GT

Reaction score
i clean it about every 4000 miles. i use light oil to trap the dirt. i was told not to use compressed air on it.

i let it sit overnight so it can completely dry and i have no problems.good luck

greenscobie86

Reaction score
I usually use the cleaner included with the recharge kit. Followed by some water from a house... The dirt just pours right off...

Then light drying VIA compressed air and after its completely dried a light coat of oil.

I do this every 10 -12k just like it suggests in the owners manual... The filter is usually sort of dirty by then.

I've never had problems with the K&N's on my Expedition or my Mustang...

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
i do it every other oil change... or every six months...

i hit it on my garage wall to knock the dust loose...
then i spray it inside, then outside with the soap...
then i wash it with warm water...
then i let it sit overnight...
while it dries, I take off my intake plumbing, wash it wish dish soap and warm water, dry it, and polish it (chrome.)...
then i clean the MAF and IAT sensor with MAF cleaner...
then i clean the MOUTH of the throttle body with TB cleaner (nothing past the butterfly.)...
then i reassemble the piping, put on my extra air-filter (yes i have two of them,) and then re-polish the chrome...
then the next day i apply the filter oil and let it sit over night again...
the next day i put the freshly cleaned filter in a plastic bag, into my cabinent full of auto maintance stuff...
i then take out my MAF and IAT sensor and wash them both again with MAF cleaner and re-assemble...

my anal and detail oriented intake-cleaning is now complete :)

(and no, not very many people are as anal as i am. lol)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online