How reattach insulation underside of hood?

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Has anyone had success reattaching the under hood insulation pad? I noticed mine has come loose again along the drivers side edge. I tried double-stick tape a while back, but it has given way. Looking for a permanent solution.
Thanks!

badass98svt

Reaction score
What about 3M spray adhesive, if you want permanent.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
they sell a few different styles at vatozone but it can be hard to get the exact size width/length right.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The pad is supposed to be self-supporting using the large-capped Christmas tree fasteners, but if it's been damaged it can sag at the edges. Adding a couple more fasteners may be a simple matter of drilling 1/4" holes so long as it's sagging in an area where the hood is double-layered with space between, otherwise, spray adhesive is probably your best bet.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I’m trying the 3M spray adhesive route first. I compared this and the 3M spray 90. The 77 listed “… metals and cardboard”, so I opted for it. We’ll see…
image.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
What about 3M spray adhesive, if you want permanent.
…in the works, badass!
FA8C7243-B775-4653-8949-76FCF7E9A1CE.jpeg
BTW, how many of those huge, plastic tabs hold it on? I count 9. Shouldn’t there be 10? I think I’m missing the bottom one, passenger side (closest to the firewall)

badass98svt

Reaction score
Excellent. I'm not sure about the # of tabs. I haven't had an OEM hood since 09 or so.

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
How many of those broad-head fasteners should there be? I count 9 in place but it looks like I may be missing one, bottom left corner nearest the passenger side firewall?

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
B9F35BDA-0C72-4681-9C21-1E363AD5B257.jpeg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    200.7 KB · Views: 9
OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
It’s that bottom left hole with a metal donut-looking thing around it. Looks like the only remaining spot a plastic tab is missing, no?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I am afraid to tell you that this is almost surely bound to fail because almost glue is heat activated meaning that if you heat it back up enough that it will release or loosen up. The other question is how did you apply it? To do it right you need to spray the back of the cover, as well as the bottom of the hood and you wait till the glue is tachy, but not yet dry and then you apply the two. If you just spray on one side or the other, it will stick to one.

Just drill a little hole through the underside of the hood and the cover and run a zip tie through it. The hood is a poly-compound so its easy to drill in.

TrickVert

Reaction score
The 77 adhesive has a failure temperature of 190°F. The "High Strength" 90 is rated at 210°F. Those tests were conducted with shear force applied, though. Hard to say if this will hold up or not. Time will tell. It may be time to start looking for a replacement, anyway. Yours is apparently aged/damaged to the point it's no longer self-supporting. If/when you get one, I'd suggest hitting it with primer and then satin black paint. It will hold up (and clean up) much better down the road.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine. You can see there are ten fasteners. It doesn't look like yours has holes in every place mine does, though. (Above and below the light socket, for instance.) on mine, I could add a couple more on those outside edges. Maybe the Cobra hood is different, though.

IMG_20220704_204753404~2.jpg

OP
OP
Daryl

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Here's a pic of mine. You can see there are ten fasteners. It doesn't look like yours has holes in every place mine does, though. (Above and below the light socket, for instance.) on mine, I could add a couple more on those outside edges. Maybe the Cobra hood is different, though.

View attachment 18711
Looks nice! Definitely different than mine though.

Once I get it secured to my liking, I do intend on spray painting it. Any recommendations on which paint? So I don’t go out and spend $$ on the wrong paint like I apparently did on the 3M.

joemomma

Reaction score
They are pricey if you decide to replace it. I looked in to a replacement when I was getting the car painted as my new hood didn't have one on it.

TrickVert

Reaction score
Lol! I just used standard primer and Krylon satin black. I should have used more primer, though, because it still collects a lot of dust. (P.S. I removed mine to paint it.) :)

Last edited:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hazel113

Members online