How To 4.2 V6 Swap

Jubert

Reaction score
the lincoln 4,2 is a direct swap too right ? I want the split port option so im thinking 99+ is the best option for me ? Will I need to redo my electrical connectors or will it all plug ? also will i need to tune for the larger injectors ?

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
the lincoln 4,2 is a direct swap too right ? I want the split port option so im thinking 99+ is the best option for me ? Will I need to redo my electrical connectors or will it all plug ? also will i need to tune for the larger injectors ?

I don't know if the Lincoln came with a 4.2??

With any engine swap for more cubes you should definitely get a tune. As far as the connectors, most of them should cross over as they are practically the same. If you are doing the swap I would get the split port from 99-00 so you don't have to deal with the butterflies in the intake manifold.

MikuTheDriftstang

Reaction score
Where can you get a good torque based cam for the 4.2l decently cheap, and can you use a 3.8l flywheel and clutch if so where can I find a decent and cheap stage 2 or 3 clutch?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I used a SPEC clutch. The flywheel has to be 01+ if I remember correctly. And cams are plentiful directly from comp cams

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
About the cams
Could a man use the 1.7 ratio rockers on the intake valve and then retard the cam about 10°?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I try not to retard when I do much of anything ;p

I am not sure. I use 1.73 rockers as is with no cam retard.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Adding the larger ratio essentially adds cam lobe to the cam. In other words....when the stock cam cracked open the valve,(just off the valve seat) swapping to the larger ratio is now putting that valve hypothetically .030". The same for shutting.....the larger ratio is extending the valve open timing. This is great for the intake valve but real bad for exhaust.(not really but killing a tad bit of power) And retard the cam puts the intake valve opening at a stock location and will be extended for shutting. Using the stock exhaust rocker along with retard cam will put the exhaust opening shutting points in a great location as well.

MikuTheDriftstang

Reaction score
I have a 94 v6 and I got my 4.2 out of a early 97 can I reuse the 4.2 flywheel and clutch or my 3.8 set? Trying to do this as cheep as possible. I am doing a full rebuild on the 4.2 along with a bigger cam and some other parts.

MikuTheDriftstang

Reaction score
But I can re use my 94 oil pan if I trim the gidle bolts correct? How many splines are on the T5 transmission input shaft also?

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't hack away at any of my parts, but I did have to mill down the main caps because my 4.2 was from a 97 f-150 and they used larger main caps and that wouldn't clear the 01 pan.

g36 monkey

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Ah I forgot some of them were studded. I haven't looked at a motor in a while. Yes, you should be able to knock those off without issue.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Members online