How To Manually Turn on your Fan

ryclef331

Reaction score
This is a quick tip that I figured I'd share with everyone. You can use this a number of ways. Its entirely up to you. All you need to know is what wire to find! You're going to look for pin #17 on the CCRM under the hood. The CCRM is the "box" with a large harness attached to it. Its located on the bracket that the radiator overflow connects to. In that wire bundle, you're looking for the green wire with a purple stripe. In order to turn on the Highspeed fan, that wire needs to be grounded. You can simply pull back some of the insulation for it, attach your new wire and run it to whatever you want as far as a switch goes. On the other side of your desired switch, it should go to a good ground! Thats it...now whenever the car is on, and you ground that wire, it will turn on the high speed fan.

You can use a thermally activated switch, toggle switch, etc. The key has to be ON for this to work. There is NO chance of damage to the ECU or PCM provided you do this properly! Keep in MIND though that with the KEY ON, and ENGINE OFF, you are not charging the battery. I've accidently drained my battery in the staging lanes while cooling the car between runs so BE CAREFUL. My car is setup with a simple gator clip on the end. I just clip on to a bolt under the hood to turn the fan on when I need it.

tech17.jpg

fan50.gif

(pics courtesy of allfordmustangs.com)

Note: As long as you didn't actually CUT the wire, with your switch in the off position, the fan will operate like normal!

Downshift

Reaction score
I did mine with a fuse... do I even need it? I noticed if I leave it on for a couple minutes with the engine off the little fuse blows haha.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
5.0wned said:
I did mine with a fuse... do I even need it? I noticed if I leave it on for a couple minutes with the engine off the little fuse blows haha.

You can run the fuse it you want to but it isn't neccessary

Hicks

Reaction score
So... basicly this keeps the car cool while sitting for staging???
sounds cool?? i dunno?

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Yes....this will cool down the water in the radiator....when it gets cool, start the car and flush the now colder water through, repeat. The car will cool down in about 10-15 minutes....again be careful with how long it stays on though.

cobra4978

Reaction score
When i bought my car the guys before me had the fan wired through the fuse box in the interior under the dash i never seen so many wires run everywhere it actually melted the fuse box and i had to take all the wires out and rewire the fan to get it to run right but keep in mind these are the same guys that used drywall screws to hold my blackouts on the car. lmao :slap:

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Stevo said:
Can i do this with my 4.6 ryclef?

THIS IS FOR A 4.6 ONLY!!!!!! JUST TO ANSWER STEVO'S QUESTION. 5.0 GUYS DO NOT DO WHAT IS POSTED BELOW! SEE ORIGINAL POST ABOVE FOR 5.0's!!!!

ok...

You need to Hook into pin#46 on the PCM (LIGHT-GREEN wire with the purple stripe), that is located behind the passenger side kickpanel. Once you tie into that pin all you do is run it to the toggle switch, and run the other side of the switch to ground. LIGHT-GREEN wire with the purple stripe

ripper

Reaction score
Wow thats easy. Im doing it this weekend. I bring an ice bag to the track and lay it on my intake between runs. Now i can run the fan too.

Thanx Steve

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
again...becareful how long you have the fan on with out the car running... It can drain your battery with the QUICKNESS!

19turbo95

Reaction score
Now when you do this will the fan turn on normally or is it up to the switch now?

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
This is a quick tip that I figured I'd share with everyone. You can use this a number of ways. Its entirely up to you. All you need to know is what wire to find! You're going to look for pin #17 on the CCRM under the hood. The CCRM is the "box" with a large harness attached to it. Its located on the bracket that the radiator overflow connects to. In that wire bundle, you're looking for the green wire with a purple stripe. In order to turn on the Highspeed fan, that wire needs to be grounded. You can simply pull back some of the insulation for it, attach your new wire and run it to whatever you want as far as a switch goes. On the other side of your desired switch, it should go to a good ground! Thats it...now whenever the car is on, and you ground that wire, it will turn on the high speed fan.

You can use a thermally activated switch, toggle switch, etc. The key has to be ON for this to work. There is NO chance of damage to the ECU or PCM provided you do this properly! Keep in MIND though that with the KEY ON, and ENGINE OFF, you are not charging the battery. I've accidently drained my battery in the staging lanes while cooling the car between runs so BE CAREFUL. My car is setup with a simple gator clip on the end. I just clip on to a bolt under the hood to turn the fan on when I need it.

tech17.jpg

fan50.gif

(pics courtesy of allfordmustangs.com)

Note: As long as you didn't actually CUT the wire, with your switch in the off position, the fan will operate like normal!

8)

frisky

Reaction score
Will this work to also turn off the fan in under normal conditions. My CCRM is bad and I dont want to get a new one. The problem is once it reaches the temp to turn on the fan the darn fan stays on. Is there a switch or something that I could do to stop the fan from running all the time?

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
If you just cut wire then the fan will only work when you apply a ground to that wire.

scootin95gts

Reaction score
well i just did my manual fan this weekend and its pretty sweet!! took a connector and combined the fan wire to a reg wire ran one to a ground and then another connector with the ground and another wire and ground to switch and bam its works like magic!! Thanks for the tip rycleff i might be able to use it at the track if i can insall my rack in about 3 hours but its my first time so it might take longer

ALLGO90

Reaction score
hey guys im trying to get this mod done to my 97 cobra but it isnt working for me..am i using the right wire?
heres some pics of the wires in my passenger kick pannel-
DSC02267.jpg

DSC02273.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TN95gt

Members online