How To Manually Turn on your Fan

zennx

Reaction score
Hi Guys, I did this a few weeks back. I have a few concerns though. I hear you are not supposed to turn both fans on at the same time, so say I was driving and the low speed fan was on and I didn't realize it and flipped my switch for the high speed to come on. I can see this turning into a problem. Can I just double up the ground to the low speed fan also, that way when I switch the high on it will ensure that the low speed never turns on at any point?

Just a thought also, I'd love to beable to rig up a circuit to have it come on at a certain temp. I have some what of an idea how to do it with potentiometers and some other stuff but I'm also having a block right now. Has anyone tried anything like that?

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
There is only ONE fan but it has two different speed settings. I don't see why you would want control of the low speed at all. I could draw you up a diagram of how to wire it up using a relay and such but it would be rather in depth and complicated. I'd have to suggest the easiest and cheapest thing is to put them away from each other of just pay attention to what you're doing.

As for you ALLGO90, you've got the right wire, you need to NOW apply a gound to that wire someway, shape, or form and it will work.

916_5.0

Reaction score
So if you wire up that green wire with the purple stripe that will let you turn the fan on high speed? I need to do this mod.

zennx

Reaction score
Not really concerned with running the low speed at all. I was just worried that if the computer is trying to turn the low speed on while I have the high speed already running (sometimes it's hard to tell by ear if the low spd is on). Awhile ago I heard it's not good when this happens, can't remember why though. But, i'll just ground it out to make sure it never turns on, guess it's not too much of a concern to worry about :dunno:

Eastcoast5.0

Reaction score
I did this a while back. I donno if my fan wasn't turning on befor or what but it's dropped the temp from 210* back down to about 180*,190ish on hot days.

HISSIN50

Reaction score
zennx said:
Not really concerned with running the low speed at all. I was just worried that if the computer is trying to turn the low speed on while I have the high speed already running (sometimes it's hard to tell by ear if the low spd is on). Awhile ago I heard it's not good when this happens, can't remember why though. But, i'll just ground it out to make sure it never turns on, guess it's not too much of a concern to worry about :dunno:
If you have high speed on before low speed comes on naturally, you should be cooling down so low never tries to engage. However:
This sort of thinking is a valid concern, especially because of how some fan circuits have been failing lately. Guys will find that their high speed never comes on, but rather low speed runs, even with Max AC turned on. Now the car starts to run hot as low speed cannot keep up, and one would want to turn on the high speed switch. Not good. Running both speeds simulatenously shortens the life of the fan motor.

Passenger

Reaction score
I do believe I will be doing this shortly. Thanks for the (old) but very useless writeup Ryclef!

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Passenger said:
I do believe I will be doing this shortly. Thanks for the (old) but very useless writeup Ryclef!

Is this a misprint? or sarcasm....

Passenger

Reaction score
Its called being a dumbass on my part. I had been awake for like 29 hours when I wrote it, haha. Useful* my bad bro.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
Passenger said:
Its called being a dumbass on my part. I had been awake for like 29 hours when I wrote it, haha. Useful* my bad bro.

gotcha. haha.

mystang94

Reaction score
i just did this little mod and it is great and really simple. :thumb:thanks for the info

M

musclemustang94

To the guys that wanted to run fuses on theirs. You don't need a fuse on the ground wire. Theres no current flowing through a ground wire, its all used up in the load in the circuit. What you can do is fuse the power wires. I actually had an incident with that part of the harness where the power wire shorted to the groundwire and my harness caught on fire there. So I used the old connector and ran some wires to the cockpit and put a switch in their to turn it on and off. I am not sure if the module is fried, I am hoping its ok since the fan in controlled by a relay. Basically what I am trying to say is, if you fuse the ground wire its not going to do any good. Put the fuse in the power wire and put it close to the fan motor.

94 DropTop

Reaction score
ok im a complete dumbass when it comes to wiring. so do i want to cut the wire??? a pic of yours ry would be awsome. cuz i have now idea how you ground it. i just want to hook it to a gator clip

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
94 DropTop said:
i just want to hook it to a gator clip

thats exactly how mine is....I get out, pop the hood, hook up the gator clip to a bolt on the fender to turn on the fans. You do NOT cut the wire! Just tap into it.

OP
OP
R

ryclef331

Reaction score
94 DropTop said:
this is were im retarded. how do you tap into the wire.

Wow...ok.

Just got to the parts store or radio shack and get pack of these....

5601.gif

Just slide the wire you're tapping into into the side of the tap you can SEE through. Then slide the wire you're adding in the side thats closed on one half. Take a pair of pliers and push the "blade" down. This pierces the insulation on both wires but will not cut the wires inside. Voila. You've tapped it.

You can also just strip back some of the insulation off the wire with a razor or strippers...just becareful not break the wire. Twist some new wire onto it and then wrap it with electrical tape....this is the half assed way to do it though

94 DropTop

Reaction score
ive always wondered what those were at work. thanks for the help. and sorry for being brain dead.

cntchds

Reaction score
Just because I'm likely more retarded than ^ you don't need a switch, just a wire to ground, then you can switch it on and off by grounding(on)/ not grounding(off) the wire?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online