How to remove rust??

bottlefed97

Reaction score
Anyone know how to remove spots of rust off of chrome? Pic:

DSCF5585.jpg

Handz, maybe you've had experience with this?

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score
Re: Hot to remove rust??

Maybe I need to apply more elbow grease with this Billet polish then lol

daves94vert

Reaction score

Hows about trying some 2 or 3000 grit sand paper then some metal polish with a powerball. Try it out on a small spot to get the feel then go from there.

JerZeyStangz

Reaction score

I would wetsand the pipe with a very light grit like "dave94vert" said, then use a metal polish of some sort. I would recommend collinite metal wax, or go with adam's metal polish. There are so many out there, but I read that collinite takes rust off and protects the metal at the same time.

http://www.autogeek.net/collinite-metal-wax.html

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score

daves94vert said:
Hows about trying some 2 or 3000 grit sand paper then some metal polish with a powerball. Try it out on a small spot to get the feel then go from there.

Thanks, i'm gonna stop by Ace Hardware and pick up some sandpaper. I don't have a powerball tho :/

JerZeyStangz said:
I would wetsand the pipe with a very light grit like "dave94vert" said, then use a metal polish of some sort. I would recommend collinite metal wax, or go with adam's metal polish. There are so many out there, but I read that collinite takes rust off and protects the metal at the same time.

So you don't think the Billet polish will be good enough if I use some real fine sandpaper? Thanks a bunch for all the input

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

bottlefed97 said:
daves94vert said:

Thanks, i'm gonna stop by Ace Hardware and pick up some sandpaper. I don't have a powerball tho :/

JerZeyStangz said:

So you don't think the Billet polish will be good enough if I use some real fine sandpaper? Thanks a bunch for all the input

i have a power ball you could use. i still need to finish my tips too

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score

atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
daves94vert said:

JerZeyStangz said:

Sweet! We'll figure out a day this week and you can come over and we can use your powerball and my polish and do both our tips

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
daves94vert said:

JerZeyStangz said:

Sweet! We'll figure out a day this week and you can come over and we can use your powerball and my polish and do both our tips

yeah sure.

im pretty sure Ace Hardware doesnt have any sandpaper over 1500 grit. because thats where i got mine and i had to settle for 1500, i wanted at least 2000

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score

atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
daves94vert said:

JerZeyStangz said:

yeah sure.

im pretty sure Ace Hardware doesnt have any sandpaper over 1500 grit. because thats where i got mine and i had to settle for 1500, i wanted at least 2000

Damn, I wonder where I could find some. Maybe home depot?

I'm thinking i'll get some 300,500,800,1500, and 2000? To start off rough and finish smooth. Or would that be too rough, should I just stick with 200 or 1500 becuase the pipes are chrome?

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
daves94vert said:

JerZeyStangz said:

yeah sure.

Damn, I wonder where I could find some. Maybe home depot?

I'm thinking i'll get some 300,500,800,1500, and 2000? To start off rough and finish smooth. Or would that be too rough, should I just stick with 200 or 1500 becuase the pipes are chrome?

i tried home depot too, no luck. i think advanced auto had some, but they were expensive.

i used
then 1500

but i didnt polish chrome, just stainless steel

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score

Do you know if using that low of a grit sandpaper will damage the chrome? I'm thinking of just trying out the higher grit first to be safe

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

bottlefed97 said:
Do you know if using that low of a grit sandpaper will damage the chrome? I'm thinking of just trying out the higher grit first to be safe

i would start higher, i didnt use the low grit sandpaper on my tips, just the tailpipe parts.

i dont think i would even use 1500 on it

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score

atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

i would start higher, i didnt use the low grit sandpaper on my tips, just the tailpipe parts.

Alright i'll pick up some 2000 sandpaper. Can you bring maybe a bit of your lower grit paper to use on the actual pipe behind my tips? Are you busy tonight like after 7? Tomorrow i'll be at the Magic game lol

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

Alright i'll pick up some 2000 sandpaper. Can you bring maybe a bit of your lower grit paper to use on the actual pipe behind my tips? Are you busy tonight like after 7? Tomorrow i'll be at the Magic game lol

im available anytime. i'd like to try that Billet polish. i have the Aluminum and Mag polish, but i didnt see any better results.

i might go back to Ace and get some more low grit paper and Advance to get some 2000 or above. i didnt even polish the tips at all because i thought they would scratch

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score

atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

im available anytime. i'd like to try that Billet polish. i have the Aluminum and Mag polish, but i didnt see any better results.

i might go back to Ace and get some more low grit paper and Advance to get some 2000 or above. i didnt even polish the tips at all because i thought they would scratch

You're more than welcome to use the Billet polish and anything else, especially if you're letting me use your power ball, sandpaper, and polish! I'll call you after I get off

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

You're more than welcome to use the Billet polish and anything else, especially if you're letting me use your power ball, sandpaper, and polish! I'll call you after I get off

alright, you still have my number?

i'll bring the can of bumper paint too. i pretty sure i wont need it anytime soon

OP
OP
bottlefed97

bottlefed97

Reaction score

atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

i'll bring the can of bumper paint too. i pretty sure i wont need it anytime soon

I just checked and I don't, I could have sworn it was in my phone lol.

Thanks a lot man!

atlanticblue98

Reaction score

bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:
atlanticblue98 said:
bottlefed97 said:

I just checked and I don't, I could have sworn it was in my phone lol.

Thanks a lot man!

i just sent you a PM

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online