Huge rear end problem

Goldmember

Reaction score
Went to perform a drain/fill on my rear axle. All went well until time to refill. Tried a siphon-no. Bought a hand pump at Advance-no. How do I fill this thing?! Car is on ramps and I'm screwed. Helppppp

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Went to perform a drain/fill on my rear axle. All went well until time to refill. Tried a siphon-no. Bought a hand pump at Advance-no. How do I fill this thing?! Car is on ramps and I'm screwed. Helppppp

Chillll doggg.... Did you use the fill screw on the front side by the flange area? If yes and you need a pump do what I did.. Take a hose that fits on a spray bottle top and use it like a pump. Stick the sprayer hose into the fluid and stick the hose you added on the end of it and stick it in the diff... You may leak a little but not much. That's what I did. Works like a damn charm dude

Sent from my SCH-I605 using Tapatalk

joekd

Reaction score
I did mine with a hand pump that screwed onto the top of a quart bottle, was like $5 if I remember right

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Chillll doggg.... Did you use the fill screw on the front side by the flange area? If yes and you need a pump do what I did.. Take a hose that fits on a spray bottle top and use it like a pump. Stick the sprayer hose into the fluid and stick the hose you added on the end of it and stick it in the diff... You may leak a little but not much. That's what I did. Works like a damn charm dude

Joe that's what I used. Must have blown the seal in it, comes out around the knob now.

Killnthrill if I'm seeing it right- kind of like a spray bottle with a hose clamped on the end? That could work, I have an empty one of them. Yes went thru plug.

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Have am empty one from Auto Zone to do that. Only downfall is pumping 75-140 on a 35 degree day. Will try and report back. The job was easy til that step. Dinner coffee and my wife mellowing me out now.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Have am empty one from Auto Zone to do that. Only downfall is pumping 75-140 on a 35 degree day. Will try and report back. The job was easy til that step. Dinner coffee and my wife mellowing me out now.

Ouch lol yeah that may be a little harder but it's exactly what I did and worked like a charm. I, like you, wondered how the flock I was gonna get the fluid in. Then my creativity kicked in lol

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Gonna give it a shot tomorrow before it starts to rain. Figure, if the bottles sit in a bucket filled partway with hot water, for a while, I might have a shot at it.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Yep I'd have to agree. I'd also keep the fluid in the house overnight to keep them warmer too. Goodluck man, should be a lot easier tho

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
There's another way I did too if it's too cold for the mini pump method. It's just a bit more of a PITA. Pull the driver wheel off and get a funnel and clamp a hose to the end of it long enough to get the funnel into the wheel well (I suppose you could leave the wheel on and get a longer hose, but it might make more of a mess) and dump the fluid in that way. It works, but I find it makes more of a mess. Either way, you'll get it done tomorrow man

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
On the bottle of gear oil should be a cap that you can cut the tip off of and use it to fill with.
Attach a 2'-3' piece of CLEAR hose to the exposed tip of the cap.
Now just put that small hose in the fill hole of the diff and squeeze.
Don't forget to secure the hose to the cap with some kind of clamp. (I used a piece of safety wire but any small wire should work.)
Once you have the cap rigged up don't throw it away because it will fit on a quart bottle of ATF. for filling the tranny

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Success. Ended up going back to the hand pump I bought similar to what joekd described. I pumped the oil by pushing the pump against the floorboard, much easier. Went until I had a slow trickle coming out of the fill hole and closed it up. Putting Mobil 1 ATF in it tomorrow but that's the easy one.

joekd

Reaction score
Tranny is easy, pull the shifter, pour in, done

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
It's the TR3650. Tremec recommends M1 ATF for this box although Mercon V is Ford spec. This is apparently called the "secret sauce" and is said to smooth things out, the 3650 is a notchy box. In thru the shifter is right, going to get that done tomorrow. Just glad I beat the rain and got the rear back together.

joekd

Reaction score
Actually on the mach1 registry they had a secret sauce recipe which works fantastic, mobil one ATF with .75 qt of lucas tranny oil

Guys swear by it, says it helps the "no go" into 3rd and R gears, I did it on my t45's and it was great, quiet smooth operation

OP
OP
Goldmember

Goldmember

Reaction score
Actually on the mach1 registry they had a secret sauce recipe which works fantastic, mobil one ATF with .75 qt of lucas tranny oil

Guys swear by it, says it helps the "no go" into 3rd and R gears, I did it on my t45's and it was great, quiet smooth operation

That tranny oil is pretty thick though, no? I mean, worth a shot, but in cold northeast climates that might make for harder shifting.

But- 2.5 qts M1 + .75 qt Lucas = 3.25 qts, just a little over what Tremec recommends, hell I think I'll give it a try.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
In thru the shifter is right, going to get that done tomorrow. Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk - now Free

There's a fill plug on the side of the tranny. Use it.
Going through the shifter is a PITA unless the tranny has already been out and the shifter is already out. Besides how are you going to know when it's full? or over full.
Pour in some fluid then climb under the car to see if it running out of the fill hole. Nope. repeat
Pour in some more fluid then climb under the car to see if it running out of the fill hole. Nope. repeat
Pour in some more fluid then climb under the car to see if it running out of the fill hole. Nope. repeat

Clean the pump you used to fill the rear end and use that for the tranny fluid.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jarthur1995

Members online