I’m looking for a 98-2000 Mach 460 head unit!!

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
Hi all! I am looking for a 98-2000 Mach 460 head unit radio with working cassette deck. My deck has failed and I want to be able to play old mix cassette my dad made years ago (it’s sentimental to me) I also want the original look in my 98 mustang. Any help would be appreciated!! Thanks!! Chris

Attachments

• 8BCB9F7F-F8C0-4D66-9AAA-340589F6DDA1.jpeg
    8BCB9F7F-F8C0-4D66-9AAA-340589F6DDA1.jpeg
    281 KB · Views: 20

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Cassette tapes aren’t designed to last forever. Any tape older than 20 years that’s still playable is a gift. You can’t assume sentimental Guardians of the Galaxy type mix tapes can function forever, same goes for the players. Clearly the movie is fictional. I HIGHLY recommend backing up that tape into a digital back up, then uploading it to the cloud. That way if something ever happens to that tape, you will still have it. The same equipment that could then transfer the tape can be used to copy it back into a brand new tape (assuming they still make those)

As for the player, if yours is broken, there’s a good chance others may be as well. Usually if it’s in continued use, the rubber band belt used to drive the wheels will remain pliable. Anyone who has one to give/sell most likely haven’t used theirs in a long time, and it’s doomed to fail soon too.

Instead, I suggest refurbishing your current tape deck. Make sure when the cover is off to remove any tape that may have been eaten, which causes strain on the motors. You never know who else might’ve had a precious mix tape in there. Check for that rubber band. If broken, measure the length, and buy a replacement.

If you are adventurous, I suggest viewing this thread, and seeing if it can be applied to the Ford deck:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/...INPUT-quot-in-OE-Bimmer-Radio-with-no-pinouts

Essentially, when a tape is played, it will play whatever is on that tape, and the AUX. Nothing plugged in, then just the tape. Want to play an iPod? You can play a blank tape, or a phono tape adapter that has the cable removed (cable used in the mod project). Basically the goal is to pop in a tape a pretend that’s the audio, a tape that basically has any song imaginable.

Of course, that write up was during the days before a massive push for Bluetooth. If I had a classic factory tape deck, Id probably just go that route instead.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Cassette tapes aren’t designed to last forever. Any tape older than 20 years that’s still playable is a gift. You can’t assume sentimental Guardians of the Galaxy type mix tapes can function forever, same goes for the players. Clearly the movie is fictional. I HIGHLY recommend backing up that tape into a digital back up, then uploading it to the cloud. That way if something ever happens to that tape, you will still have it. The same equipment that could then transfer the tape can be used to copy it back into a brand new tape (assuming they still make those)

As for the player, if yours is broken, there’s a good chance others may be as well. Usually if it’s in continued use, the rubber band belt used to drive the wheels will remain pliable. Anyone who has one to give/sell most likely haven’t used theirs in a long time, and it’s doomed to fail soon too.

Instead, I suggest refurbishing your current tape deck. Make sure when the cover is off to remove any tape that may have been eaten, which causes strain on the motors. You never know who else might’ve had a precious mix tape in there. Check for that rubber band. If broken, measure the length, and buy a replacement.

If you are adventurous, I suggest viewing this thread, and seeing if it can be applied to the Ford deck:
https://www.bimmerforums.com/forum/...INPUT-quot-in-OE-Bimmer-Radio-with-no-pinouts

Essentially, when a tape is played, it will play whatever is on that tape, and the AUX. Nothing plugged in, then just the tape. Want to play an iPod? You can play a blank tape, or a phono tape adapter that has the cable removed (cable used in the mod project). Basically the goal is to pop in a tape a pretend that’s the audio, a tape that basically has any song imaginable.

Of course, that write up was during the days before a massive push for Bluetooth. If I had a classic factory tape deck, Id probably just go that route instead.

Man, your responses are always like essays. Was English your favorite subject in school?? [emoji38]

I like the backing up idea. I’d say copy it to a cd though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
1998MustangVert

1998MustangVert

Reaction score

Hi! I use a couple of cassettes, but mostly I use a Bluetooth adapter... that’s the main reason I want to find another unit. I am also in the process of finding a new belt for the mech online. Thanks for the help! I will definitely check out the link!

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
Man, your responses are always like essays. Was English your favorite subject in school?? [emoji38]

Honestly hated it the most. Fs and Cs (My school didn’t have Ds). I even had to take it in summer school. Although, when I retook it, I aced it to the point where I got to be exempted from the final. The teacher didn’t understand why I was there and wanted to know who I had previously. I told her, as she was also teaching the same subject in summer school. I wondered what they both talked about.

What I did not understand was why, when I was failing in English, my parents would punish me by taking away my internet privileges. This was the late 90s. The only reading and writing I did was in chat rooms. It actually helped me. It was the equivalent of taking away books from someone who struggles in reading. Made no sense whatsoever.

Last edited:

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
english was always almost kind of my most favorite thing on my most hated list. I bet you didn't know that HUH!

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
English and math. Easiest subjects that bored me the most.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
math, physics, calc I can do. There are rules to these and by rules I mean RULES!!! You never divide by zero, EVER.... follow the rules and its easy enough. Now english there is a rule, 128 exceptions and then 43 slang terms that work better and no one cares anyway

I also kicked ass at recess and gym....

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
math, physics, calc I can do. There are rules to these and by rules I mean RULES!!! You never divide by zero, EVER.... follow the rules and its easy enough. Now english there is a rule, 128 exceptions and then 43 slang terms that work better and no one cares anyway

That’s why I tell my daughter that they are “guidelines,” not “rules.” Easier for kids to understand that guidelines have exceptions, because rules are never meant to be broken, “EVER!”

I think what helped me the most (in getting that one A and future Cs) was taking German; not Spanish, German. It was only one class, but being in Texas, Spanish made the most sense, and I was pressured by my parents and school not to take it, and even later took 2 more classes of Spanish that I would struggle in, instead of the German I was acing. Even taking it in college as well because I couldn’t test out if it. The German teacher was surprised that year to have so many students. ...well, yeah. Every adult is telling us not to take it!

Anyway, so English is a Germanic language. If you learn how they conjugate stuff, and the sentence structure, at some point you realize, both Yoda and Shakespeare are German! People act like Shakespeare is the god of literature, but you start asking yourself, “is this just how they talked back then?” Language is constantly evolving, so I truly believe that’s how EVERYONE talked like back then. Once I started seeing myself as a foreigner/time traveler, rather than a native English speaker, it became a lot easier to understand.

I also kicked ass at recess and gym....

Problem is after 5th grade, you never have recess. So by age 11, no fun for you. When I was 9, I briefly went to an elementary school originally designed to be a middle school. No playground. They kicked you outside and were expected to play. ...with what?!? What’s worse was this hell hole had snow by October. So they kicked you out in the snow. And they were just as evil in the mornings. You weren’t allowed inside the building until the bell rang. So you had to wait outside in the freezing snow, rather than sit in a cafeteria or gym. Our family fled back to our native homeland without telling anyone over Thanksgiving break. That place can go to hell!

As for gym, just a bunch of running. I remember one year how bad it was because I would get so many cramps. I did not know what caused them, but they decided that it was due to the fact that we all had the first lunch period. So they changed it to the last. So now I was stuck running without eating any food till 1:30, so now I had cramps AND hunger pains. I hated indoor running, because those assholes thought it would be a treat to let us listen to music while we ran. Except it was 1994, so nonstop Achy Breaky Heart it was! Most of the class conveniently had asthma, so they just sat and watched me run. High school PE was a little different, and more forgiving. At least, I don’t remember running.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
And back on subject we go...................

tvsn95

Reaction score
I DO have an 94 mach 460 head the has bad buttons.. these faceplates are still to be found but they wanted $40 for it. I replaced w/ an Alpine head, I am happy.
IF YOU WANT MY UNIT I will send for shipping cost plus $40. but it sounds like you may be looking for something else.

Daryl

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I have one but it’s from my ‘95 Cobra. Will that fit/work? I also have the CD player/ lower unit.

I’m going to a double din.

OP
OP
1998MustangVert

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
I DO have an 94 mach 460 head the has bad buttons.. these faceplates are still to be found but they wanted $40 for it. I replaced w/ an Alpine head, I am happy.
IF YOU WANT MY UNIT I will send for shipping cost plus $40. but it sounds like you may be looking for something else.[/QUOTE

OP
OP
1998MustangVert

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
I have one but it’s from my ‘95 Cobra. Will that fit/work? I also have the CD player/ lower unit.

I’m going to a double din.
How much would you want for it? And it looks like the one in my pic, correct? I know there were two different head units offered at the time...

OP
OP
1998MustangVert

1998MustangVert

Reaction score
This sounds dumb, but I’m new to the forums... how do I do that? I tried going to your profile but it says that you have limited certain people to see it

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lndabrkes01

Members online