I cannot find a *correct* spark plug wire.

WoefulProblems

Reaction score
New here and I figured I would ask people that actively drive the vehicle that I'm trying to work on. I've got a 2000 V6 Mustang which as great as it is, the problems make me cry. I need a new spark plug wire for the #3 cylinder and cannot find hard information from any auto part store that will tell me if the wire listed will work. I'm on my second wire and both "universal" wires have had the problem that the end which goes on the coil pack is simply the wrong connector and does not attach, yet are listed as working with the car. What do?

Anyone here got a part number for a replacement spark plug wire that will work? :(

Many thanks for any and all help!

OP
OP
W

WoefulProblems

Reaction score
did you take the bad one it to make sure the ends match?
Yes, I put the two together to make sure they were different. I even made sure I wasn't using the wrong end by putting a spark plug in the wire. The new spark plug wire I have has a connector that is physically larger by several millimeters.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I know last year when I got a kit that allowed me to make my own length wires by cutting them and crimping on the correct and for the dist and there were 2 ends in the kit but only one would work. As for the specific names of the end I am no good there.

OP
OP
W

WoefulProblems

Reaction score
I know last year when I got a kit that allowed me to make my own length wires by cutting them and crimping on the correct and for the dist and there were 2 ends in the kit but only one would work. As for the specific names of the end I am no good there.
I'd be making my own wire if I could, trying to stick with the low buck options at the moment.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
No I was just saying that as its the only experience I have with spark plug wires but the only expense to it is the crimpers. The wires are not any more(or not muct more) then the finished sets but you would need to order then as I am not aware of any stores that carry the DIY cables. With that being said if you ask around to your car buddies one of them might already have the crimpers or their dads if they are car guys as I found a lot of the old timers hot rods like the custom lengths and why not its amazingly cleaner then the over the counter kits.

I just dug through my orange mustang bibles electrical and main section. I was able to find parts #'s for the dielectric grease to put in the boots, the factory spark plug wire seperators(WTF? never seen them before stock) and even the plastic cover that went over the dist. The only mention I see of the spark plug wires they are only labeled, and I Quote, "ignition wires(8 needed)" ..... Even looked through the harness end pics and no dice. Sorry I tried.

OP
OP
W

WoefulProblems

Reaction score
No I was just saying that as its the only experience I have with spark plug wires but the only expense to it is the crimpers. The wires are not any more(or not muct more) then the finished sets but you would need to order then as I am not aware of any stores that carry the DIY cables. With that being said if you ask around to your car buddies one of them might already have the crimpers or their dads if they are car guys as I found a lot of the old timers hot rods like the custom lengths and why not its amazingly cleaner then the over the counter kits.

I just dug through my orange mustang bibles electrical and main section. I was able to find parts #'s for the dielectric grease to put in the boots, the factory spark plug wire seperators(WTF? never seen them before stock) and even the plastic cover that went over the dist. The only mention I see of the spark plug wires they are only labeled, and I Quote, "ignition wires(8 needed)" ..... Even looked through the harness end pics and no dice. Sorry I tried.
It's alright, you tried at least. :) Those wire separators though are the bane of my existence, broke two of them trying to get the original wire out, gave up and ripped the old boot off and now I'm slowly pulling it through. They're impossible to get apart, or I'm dumb.

cameron57

Reaction score
Go to summit racing and enter your application see what it comes up with or call a ford dealer and just order a fomoco one

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
It's alright, you tried at least. :) Those wire separators though are the bane of my existence, broke two of them trying to get the original wire out, gave up and ripped the old boot off and now I'm slowly pulling it through. They're impossible to get apart, or I'm dumb.
I can get you the replacement number for the separators :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online