identifying 1996-1998 cobras

BlackMachDown

Reaction score
Hey guys im in the market for a 96-98 cobra, and while i know the 94-95 have a "D" in the vin to signify cobra, do the 96-98's have something similar?

snoball

Reaction score
Uh would the front and rear bumper, trunk emblem, gauge cluster, brakes, 4v, hood, FORWARD facing fender emblems be enough?? I know theres tons of clones but ive yet to seen one clone have everything needed to be the exact same. And to be honest theres so many 96-98 cobras they arent exactly a rare car. If you have reason to believe a car isnt a cobra, theres probably more underlying problems to it too.

OP
OP
B

BlackMachDown

Reaction score
Snoball said:
Uh would the front and rear bumper, trunk emblem, gauge cluster, brakes, 4v, hood, FORWARD facing fender emblems be enough?? I know theres tons of clones but ive yet to seen one clone have everything needed to be the exact same. And to be honest theres so many 96-98 cobras they arent exactly a rare car. If you have reason to believe a car isnt a cobra, theres probably more underlying problems to it too.
trust me , ive seen more than enough clones that are that thorough in the 94-95 cobra variety, the vin is always the dead give away

BigTang

Reaction score
since its not a "rare collectible"(not trying to say it isn't desirable) i'd be more inclined to find the car I want, even if its a swapped 4v, as long as its done properly it could be a better ride than a stocker.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
Air bags!!

Most of the clones always fail to have the Cobra Air Bags.

Javi

Post Whore
Reaction score
No one really wants to spend $800 + on bags.there are a few exceptions i know of.

OP
OP
B

BlackMachDown

Reaction score
LOL, i understand what to check for :)

do they have a unique vin number is the question!

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
1FALP(47)V6VF000001

The 47 is Cobra coup.

1FALP(46)V6VF000001

The 46 is Cobra convertable

http://www.muscularmustangs.com/database2/1997.php

They may not be super rare but they are a limited production car. Out of a total of 108344 total units built in 1997 only 10049 were Cobra coups or convertables, that is 10% of cars built. A very low percentage.

95SC

Reaction score
I guess if I put Cobra fender badges on mine only way to tell it's a GT would be to read a VIN #

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
otherwise someone who knows sn-95 cobras pretty well can make a damn good guess whats a cobra or cloned one just by looking at it even if things are the same..

possability of being wrong.. but whatever lol

Slow95Cobra

Reaction score
other than the air bag, other things ive seen "fakes" fail to swap over is the rear brakes. the cobra had vented rotors, not soild blanks..

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Slow95Cobra said:
other than the air bag, other things ive seen "fakes" fail to swap over is the rear brakes. the cobra had vented rotors, not soild blanks..

good call, never even thought to check for that.

bigjohnson4.6gt

Reaction score
usually if there is the word "COBRA" over the Mustang indentation on the rear bumper, then its a fake cobra. Along with cobra badges either directly above or below the GT emblem, then its a fake cobra. Other indications of fake cobras consist of COBRA on the windshield with regular mustang GT or V6 badging, stickers of cobras on the rear quarters behind the tires all while having v6/gt emblems.
These are the leading cases of fake cobras around my area

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
Slow95Cobra said:

what u talkin about willis? what cobra u talkin about? what cobras came with vented rotors? 96-98 did not..

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
Shifty Powers said:
Slow95Cobra said:

what u talkin about willis? what cobra u talkin about? what cobras came with vented rotors? 96-98 did not..

what? They have to, I thought all 94-04 Cobras had the same brakes... mine has vented rotors all around :headbang:

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
OnyxCobra said:
Shifty Powers said:
Slow95Cobra said:

you sir had aftermarket brakes when u bought yours.. no cobra has vented rotors from the factory( not even the new KR).. by vented u mean slotted correct?

what? They have to, I thought all 94-04 Cobras had the same brakes... mine has vented rotors all around :headbang: