ignition timing problems need help

Wayne

Reaction score
:'( ok i just bought this 94 3.8 mustang and it has a problem with the timing its hard to crank over because the base timing is at 30 deg or so if I pull the spout it makes no difference it runs ok I guess but I'm sure its not what it should be since its timing is not moving up like it should. any one seen this before or have any Ideas whats wrong. I'm leaning toward the ignition control box on the fender but why would it default to 30 deg instead of 10 like the book says ??? I really need help I am pretty good with cars and have a good electrical background but this is a bit different then my 95 gt. oh I had the battery loose cleaning cables so i guess i erased any obd 2 codes because after I did that and changed the starter I checked the timing and found this problem I thought the timing gear on the crank had been moved but it only has 4 bolts and that would be a 90 degree turn not 20 that i"m now over my base of 10. thanks for any help
Wayne in SC

Slow95Cobra

Reaction score
you cant change the timing on v6's... it has a cam. pos. sensor on top of a tiny sycronizer. if you move it or take it out, it has to be reset on one position only, or you will have major driveability concerns.

OP
OP
Wayne

Wayne

Reaction score
your right it does have a cam position sensor and mine was 180 degs out. I got it lined up with the help of a 30 dollar plastic alinement tool but that only lets the computer know where the came is for the purpose of firing the injectors but it will run fairly well at 180 out "speaking from the fact it just happened to me with this 94 I just bought". but I still have this problem with the ignition timing that is triggered from the sensor on the crank. :help2: It could be the crank sensor or the ignition control module. Both cost a little green so I would like to know how to test them. thanks for any help :help2:

OP
OP
Wayne

Wayne

Reaction score
Ok I'm a Idiot I pulled the wrong connector the one at the fire wall must be the Octane adjustment plug I found the spout connector hidden under the MAF sensor wire between the fender and the MAF. When I pulled it and checked the timing it was dead on 10 deg BTDC. They both look just alike though. Anyway took the battery in for a load test and the guy said it only had about 160 cranking amps. The voltage was good just not enough amps to do the job of cranking. So new battery in place and cam pos. sensor in right and the little 6 now screeches the rear tire when you hammer it from a dead stop and cranks like a champ. thanks for your help I was getting frustrated over what I thought was wrong and couldn't figure out how the engine could be out of time. anyway thanks. :banana:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jeanfltns01

Members online