I'll be joining you chaps soon

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a set of half-finished port and polished heads off a 97 cobra from guy for $250!! I feel it was a steal. complete valvetrain and all. I just need to call him and get the timing chain and cover from him.

Anything else I will need besides IRMC plates? Timing cover? 96-98 Cobra Intake? New water pump/idler pulley etc....?

I also plan on getting my valve covers powdercoated red! :icon_rr:

oemracing

Reaction score
no freaking clue. its IMRC (intake manifold runner control) Delete them... fast.

Marvin97

Reaction score
You will also need the intake and throttle body, maf meter, 96-98 cobra plug wires, and what kinda block, internals will you be installing this on? I believe the cobra's have a different dish than the gt's, but im not sure. You will also need all the radiator hoses and the thermostat housing, as they are completely different. You will also need cobra fuel rails and a throttle cable, probably 2 of the hardest parts to find. Thats probably not all you'll need, but its all that comes to mind right now. Good luck sir!

oemracing

Reaction score
you can always go the cheap route and run mark viii intake items, or continental items. these intakes are 10% what a 96-98 intake is. normally 35-50 bucks.
There is a guy on the corral that makes and sells 4v swap harness's. Look around 2k for the swap.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know what the IRMC's are... and I hear they are better to have around until you get into pretty high horsepower... or boosted applications.

I already planned on a rebuild of the motor before the install of the heads. Sounds like a bearing might be letting go in the 149,000 mile motor. The rebuild kit i found on summit or jegs was like $600 with all gaskets, bearings, etc and also came with flat top pistons. I figure that would get my compression a little higher than a cobra's 9.5:1 maybe?

I'm using my stock GT block.

Stock internals... boost will come later along with forged internals. I only have a part time job right now.

Radiator hoses, thermo housing, plug wires and such can be found at Auto Zone or Parks auto... I'm not terribly worried about that... maybe the guy i got the heads from has all that stuff anyway... he said he had bought the whole block for the teskid block and thats how he had come about the heads.

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Radiator hoses and plug wires you can get locally. Thermostat housing probably not, but it is worth a try.

Marvin97

Reaction score
Hope you can find them locally, but no auto parts store around me could even get the radiator hoses or the thermostat housing for a dohc, and they had to order my plug wires. I had to go to the Ford Stealership and buy all the radiator hoses and the thermostat housing. Was a little over $300.

OP
OP
JeremyAlan

JeremyAlan

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
97whitevert said:
Hope you can find them locally, but no auto parts store around me could even get the radiator hoses or the thermostat housing for a dohc, and they had to order my plug wires. I had to go to the Ford Stealership and buy all the radiator hoses and the thermostat housing. Was a little over $300.

jesus. We'll see.

I'm just gonna slowly gather parts. lol then pull the motor and rebuild and install everything.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
peasant99

Members online

No members online now.