IMRC Cleaning Questions

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Guys my 96 Mystic through CEL the other week with couple codes P0118 ECT High Temp, P1270 Speed Limiter Reached, and P1519 IMRC stuck closed. I decided with 83,000 miles the IMRC's probably were gunked so I pulled everything apart. They were definitely nasty! Couple questions. While it is apart I've read not to clean the stock throttle body, is that correct? It was fairly nasty on the back side of the butterflys. Also how do I test or know if the IMRC control module is even working. For cost savings, I would rather just clean and put everything back and not delete the IMRC's but this control box module has me confused. Don't want to toss everything back in if it isn't good...Any help is certainly appreciated!

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Try wiring a 9v battery to the terminal. Not 100% sure if it will work, but I am 100% sure it requires dc voltage. 9v battery is lite duty and shouldnt damage, I would think. Just an idea.

If throttle body/carb cleaner has you worried, clean the throttle body with hot water, soap, and scrub brush.

OP
OP
R

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Thanks! someone on another forum sent me a link to a wiring setup they made to test the control module so I guess I will try that.

I do have throttle body/carb cleaner spray and have used it before on my Chevy truck but I saw the warning on the Cobra throttle body stating to not clean so I wasn't sure.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I thinks throttle body cleaner wont hurt the throttle body itself, but the gaskets it may. Like tb gaskets, intake gaskets, and other gasket on its way through

Mustang Mark

Reaction score
They say not to clean the TB due to the Teflon coating that is supposed to prevent sludge build up. It obviously doesn't work so spray it with whatever you'd like. Ford doesn't even coat their throttle bodies anymore.

OP
OP
R

Rick98Z

Reaction score
Thanks for the replies! I did end up cleaning it with throttle body cleaner. Skipped testing the control box for imrc's though...hope they work or I'll be pulling it all back off lol. Still don't have her running though, as I was changing spark plugs and wires I found oil in one spark plug tube due to ripped tube gasket. $50 later with new valve cover gasket kit I decided to sand and paint my severely oxidized valve covers. One day I might have it all back together and running lol :)

On side note, broke handle off oil dipstick taking valve cover off...I can't win!!! UGH!!!

robb15033

Reaction score
Don't remove the IMRC plates until it's using boost! Unless your racing it or whatever. Your choice..
You can tell if they work as soon as you hit 3500 RPM's. It feels like you down shifted (kinda). You definitely feel something that is noticeable.
-I wish I could see exactly where any build up occurs and how thick, what it looks like, ect..
Snapped off my oil stick too one day replacing clutch cable. Shite Happens!
CHEERS! Smoke-'Em If U Got-'EM!!:insane:

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online