intake swap

2tonegt

Reaction score
I have a 97 gt with a stock long block and I was wondering if I have to modify anything for the PI intake swap. I have heard something about messing with the fuel rails because every gt after 97 has a returnless fuel system and I would like to know if anyone has done an intake swap yet and what it involves. thanks

96sohc

Reaction score
From your poll I'm assuming you're getting the Livernois Kit?
I didn't have to change anything with the fuel rails on my 96, it all went back on like it was stock.
The Livernois Kit has EVERYTHING you'll need, with instructions and pictures.

Adam

Reaction score
98's also have return-style system (same as 97) You don't need adaptor plates to make a PI intake go on NPI heads. There are about a million articles on how to make this work on the web with rtv sealant.

Adam

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My cuz wants to do it on his 98

Got any links Adam?

Dont you need the heater coolant tube, and some gaskets ect.
How bout the coolent tem sensor?

Has anyone on here done it?.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Dalamar said:
My cuz wants to do it on his 98

Got any links Adam?

Dont you need the heater coolant tube, and some gaskets ect.
How bout the coolent tem sensor?

Has anyone on here done it?.

If your not buying a complete kit like the Livernois kit you will need what you said plus alt bracket/PI coolant hose nipple(maybe) some 98's have PI nipple. And you just drill and tap the crossover on the new intake for the 2nd temp sensor. Go over to Stangnet in the 4.6 tech area and search for this and there are threads with pics etc.

Adam

Reaction score
I'm sorry I don't have any links. I know it can be done though. Also for your drivers side coolant sensor, splice the main harness open and extend it down the drivers side of the block. Take the block plug out, and guess what? The sensor fits right in there..no tapping..no drilling.... 8)

Adam

ALITL8

Reaction score
Adam said:
I'm sorry I don't have any links. I know it can be done though. Also for your drivers side coolant sensor, splice the main harness open and extend it down the drivers side of the block. Take the block plug out, and guess what? The sensor fits right in there..no tapping..no drilling.... 8)

Adam

hey Adam... i wouldnt say a million articles on this subject but there are a few. you just have to look REAL hard through a lot of archives. ive only seen about three that have any useful information though. i saved one to my HD (thank God) and now the site is either down or gone :dunno: the other two i dumbassed and didnt bookmark :-\

BTW, if you've already got the upgraded POS intake with the aluminum crossover (like me) you dont have to do any drilling or tapping for the temp sensor... just swap the crossovers ;D

coolantcrossover.jpg

here's a couple of pics i dug up of the RTV method and the PI gasket... looks like it could work ???

barehead.jpg

pigasketonhead.jpg

rtvonhead.jpg

rtvsquished.jpg

97vertstang

Reaction score
thats all the rtv u have to put???what about the heater coolant tube??u have to get one from a pi engine??thats it??or u have to modify it??

ALITL8

Reaction score
im not sure about the coolant tube. im still in the researching process of this upgrade also. i'll try to search up the tech articles i found and post them later this evening :thumb:

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Looks like fun Alitle8 - good luck with the mod.
Are you going to do any porting?

I mentioned above, my cuz has a 98 with a vortec SQ blower on it.
He's pushing 8# of boost, all stock motor with long tubes. and wants more power.
So I did some research for him.
He decided to do the whole PI swap, but here's what I found about the intake swap.

1a- PI intake swap without adaptor kit - gains 18 rwhp NA. (naturally asperated)

To do this, you will need the following parts:
XW7Z-9439-AA intake gskt $6.08 ea
F8AZ-10153-EA alt brkt $10.53
XR3Z-18B402-AA coolant tube $19.67
F1VY-8255-A thermstat housing o-ring $3.83
F1VY-8507-A water pump o-ring $2.43
XR3Z-9L437-BA upper plenum o-ring $3.05
F75Z-8555-AA coolant tube nipple $5.73

1b- PI intake swap with adaptor kit - couldnt find dyno results but I'm sure it's a little more power because there's no
step inside the runner where it meets the head - resistance.

Livernois has a kit for just an intake, or their swap kit with the adaptors, and all the parts.

Heres a good link on the process: http://www.redpulsar.us/~coldfusion/intakeswap.html

Good luck.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Alida81

Members online