Interior dye?

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
doesnt match right btw...tried it, its wayyy to light. Some research on SVTP told me to use the bumper paint from duplicolor in charcoal grey and its much closer...

robb15033

Reaction score
doesnt match right btw...tried it, its wayyy to light. Some research on SVTP told me to use the bumper paint from duplicolor in charcoal grey and its much closer...
Funny that you mentioned that. Strange. I purchased that same trim paint yesterday and painted (after endless water sanding) my taillight bezels. It does apply very smoothly and yes its quality stuff. I would use multiple light coats. I nicked it it one place really easily.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
What did you wetsand it with? It has to be something fairly course or else its not enough to stick to.

robb15033

Reaction score
It's in my car right now and the girlfriend has it. I think it was like 3500 grit. It looked whiteish, soft, kinda like foam, had alot of groves sliced through it, it was thick & tough, did not disintegrate or wear down.. You keep dipping it in water and I used it back and forth same direction. The package says it's the last stage on paint/clear coat for polishing before paint. Got it from Autozone.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
in order for paint to stick you should use 320 or 400 grit atleast, wet or dry if you choose, 3500 is not gonna make anything stick.

robb15033

Reaction score
in order for paint to stick you should use 320 or 400 grit at least, wet or dry if you choose, 3500 is not gonna make anything stick.
I'm sorry for the confusion- The 3500 grit is what I used on the red lenses of the taillight before polishing it to a shine and 500 last on the previously painted bezel. I don't know if that's the best way or not but I did it, and after wiping it down with alcohol, the paint stuck and looked smooth.
Listen here- I am learning and really shouldn't give advice i guess.

BruhBrahBrad

Reaction score
ohhhh ok. well yeah 500 should be cool.. i've worked in some shops doing this type of stuff,figured i could help!

MyLittlePony

Reaction score
I just recently bought dye from them to freshen up my 18yo red interior. The only prepwork I did was put dish soap on a tooth brush and sprayed water on the pieces, scrubbing in circles until I no longer could pick up brown nastiness on my paper towels. I mostly was trying to get ride of all the years of armor all I've put on it. Didn't realize how dirty it actually was.

I currently have 0-1 miles on the interior, so I can't say anything. But it looks great. And since I didn't go for a complete color change, should I experience wear issues, it shouldn't show up as much.

hotheaded96

Reaction score
I just bought a center console out of an '02, gonna get SEM black dye. I'll post how it goes! This is Liz btw, it's been so long idk what my password is or what email I used...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
alleghenyamerican