JDMac's Autocross

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Nice job! That was a really tough course design for a car with limited torque and 3.27 rear gears. The fast elements lead into really slow elements, which makes it hard to attack without falling into a trap. Balancing a tight line and keeping the revs up is always tough in my V6. You did a good job of finding speed on a tight course. You might have been able to be a bit more aggressive on the throttle exiting the tight turns. A slightly sharper throttle input at the right moment (not sending you sideways) would have shaved some time.

Which front sway bar was on the car at this event?

OP
OP
JDMac34

JDMac34

Reaction score
Nice job! That was a really tough course design for a car with limited torque and 3.27 rear gears. The fast elements lead into really slow elements, which makes it hard to attack without falling into a trap. Balancing a tight line and keeping the revs up is always tough in my V6. You did a good job of finding speed on a tight course. You might have been able to be a bit more aggressive on the throttle exiting the tight turns. A slightly sharper throttle input at the right moment (not sending you sideways) would have shaved some time.

Which front sway bar was on the car at this event?
Still the 35mm bar.

I think I’m going to switch back to the 29mm. The car feel great but the only way I’ve lost traction has been from the front end pushing. Before I’d have both, which is making me think that the big bar is pushing my limit of traction back

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
Still the 35mm bar.

I think I’m going to switch back to the 29mm. The car feel great but the only way I’ve lost traction has been from the front end pushing. Before I’d have both, which is making me think that the big bar is pushing my limit of traction back
It's hard to say without actually driving your car, but I think a stiffer rear sway bar (25mm) and maybe a rear shock & tire pressure adjustment (both softer) will move the overall limit of traction further out. Keep that 35mm front bar on hand; you might need it if you make other mods in the future.

OP
OP
JDMac34

JDMac34

Reaction score
Well, this may be the end of me racing my 2002 V6. I have been thinking about upgrading for a while now. The car handles great, but I've been wanting more power. I agree that power is a small factor in how well a car can be at autocross and that the driver's line is by far the largest. I have ridden with other drivers that have cars much more powerful than mine that have terrible lines but they are able to cover up their mistakes by putting their right foot down and get similar or better times than me.

I felt like my car was at a point where throwing more money at it would either give me minuscule improvements or I'd be completely redesigning/rebuilding my car. Like I said earlier, I liked how the car handles very much. It's predictable and can be adjusted to fit different conditions. I truly felt like power was the limiting factor for my car. In my mind, this left me with 3 options. Out of those options, buying another car made the most sense.

*I had a lot here explaining the thoughts behind my decision but decided to delete it since I was rambling. Let me know if you want me to explain.*

Anyways, as all good stories begin, I was scrolling through Facebook Marketplace and this car caught my eye. After thinking about it for a couple of days and messaging the guy, I decided to take a 4-hour drive to go look at it. Everything looked good so I got it!

Introducing my new [to me] 2011 Mustang GT!
IMG_6157.jpg

I am very excited about this car. It has 90% of the suspension modifications that I'd want, all the previous work has been done by a reputable shop, and it looks and sounds badass IMO, and all parts are from reputable companies! One of my favorite things about this car is that the whole driveline has been rebuilt recently. The engine has 30k miles on it, the rear end has 1k miles, and the transmission and clutch have 200 miles on them. All the parts that I'd likely beat on by racing the car [should] have a ton of life left on them. Between that scaring others away and the fact that the previous owner didn't keep it very clean, I was able to get it for what I believe was a stupid good deal.

I'm impressed with how it handles now, but it should be an animal once I get camber/caster plates, a square setup with 200tw tires, and transfer my Corbeau seats over.

Fun fact: My daily is a gray F-150 with the Black Package. Every single person that I sent pictures of this car to said "It matches your truck!"
IMG_6158.jpg

Tomorrow is my first event with the new car. I'm nervous that I'll have to relearn how to drive fast. Luckily this event isn't with a group I usually race with, so I won't have to worry about getting points and can focus on learning the car.

I'll probably make a thread on either Track Mustangs or S197 Forums to continue documenting my autocross journey. I just wanted to make this post so that people didn't get confused if I stopped posting on here.

A big "thank you" to everybody who has helped me on this forum. My previous experiences on forums have not been great and this seems like a community of people who want to help by sharing useful information.

A special shoutout goes to @Warhorse Racing who inspired me with his YouTube videos to get an SN95 when I decided to start autocrossing. He was correct about all the points he made in that video. Even though I chose to get out of the V6 SN95 game after a year, I would recommend one to anybody who is interested in getting into autocross. If you go into it with reasonable expectations (no, you probably won't be beating Porsches or heavily modified Miatas) you will learn how to become a good driver and have one hell of a time doing it.

Also, my car will be for sale soon. Message me if you or somebody you know would be interested. #ShamelessPlug

Warhorse Racing

Reaction score
While I'm sorry to hear that you're no longer going to be autocrossing the SN95 V6, I'm glad to hear you'll be autocrossing your new car. The s197 is also a very capable autocross platform. I was up against them for many years in CAM-C, I've been able to drive a lot of them for students at autocross events, and some of the fastest drivers I know are big fans of those cars. You're going to love throwing that car around on course!

I really appreciate the shoutout. I'm glad I was able to help. It was great seeing another SN95 V6 being used for autocross! You've done an awesome job of getting faster out on course; I know you're going to keep sharpening your skills in the new car.

OP
OP
JDMac34

JDMac34

Reaction score
Hopefully I don't make this post too many more times, but I missed my New Edge yesterday! I still have it, but I took the S197 to an autocross that ended up having an open layout with a lot of big sweepers. The Nitto NT555 G2s that came on my car are great on the street but not on an autocross course. Between that and the mystery alignment, I was struggling for traction and couldn't stop thinking about how much better my other car would have been.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Vallybell

Members online

No members online now.