Just couldn't stay away from Mustangs

86svo9l

Reaction score
Well I sold both my old projects almost 2 years ago. Got bored with them and super sick of keeping up on appearance related items. The thought of driving either of them and parking in a parking lot anywhere made me queasy so off they went to new homes, not much fun when you have so much money into them you just don't want to drive them anymore, lol.

So as a knee jerk reaction I used the money I got from one of the cars to build another project. One that feared nothing. So I picked up an 87 RX7 for cheap and proceeded to do an LS/T56 swap on it. Crazy fun car, only have been able to drive it a couple times since completion. Buttoned most of it up just a few days before snow flew here and put it into storage for the rest of the winter.

Here's the under hood :D

Its future ;)

Now onto the stuff people here care about. Ever since I sold the old Convertible my wife has been extremely upset with me. It was the car we had our first date in and we used to do family cruises all the time. Nothing like tossing the car seat in and cruising in a Supercharged Convertible.

So I have slowly been browsing for something to appease her and our son, but it could not be as nice as my last one. Just one I could be
happy with stock that will allow us to do family cruises again. RX7 being a 2 seat car kind of ruined any chance of that happening.

Well browsing craigslist a few days ago I stumbled across a deal I could not pass up. Car is in need of a lot of TLC, but should keep me busy over the rest of winter getting ready for nice weekend cruises. It has been sorely neglected for what I guess is several years. As I scrub through the scum I am finding a lot of promise however.

I will be putting a thread up in the build section once I get going. Should be interesting to see where I end up with it in comparison to where it is now...

Anyways, just thought I would stop in and say Hi! :wave:

Oh yea heres a quick pic I snapped of the scum bucket, lol.

KillNThrill24

Legend
Reaction score
Welcome back man. Looks like a couple of crazy ass rides your working with now. Definitely digging the turbo build even tho I'm far from an rx7 fan lol

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Welcome back man. Looks like a couple of crazy ass rides your working with now. Definitely digging the turbo build even tho I'm far from an rx7 fan lol

Can't say I am the biggest fan of RX7's either. But since the Rotary is such a big POS you can find them all day in the ~1000 dollar range. Hard to beat factory IRS, 4 piston calipers and neutral weight balance. Swap in an LS and that cures the cars major letdown. Now I can drive to the Autox or Drag strip, beat it all day and then drive home. That was what I mainly found appealing. Some of the Rotary guys get really upset over swaps like this, but honestly all I did was save another one from the junk yard.

TanTop94

Reaction score
oh my goodness! Thats my car! Well not my car...but at one point they looked alike! Check out my build thread for any ideas:eek: Im diggin that rx7!

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
oh my goodness! Thats my car! Well not my car...but at one point they looked alike! Check out my build thread for any ideas:eek: Im diggin that rx7!

I will definitely have to check it out. Looking forward to seeing what works well with the Dark Forest Green and tan. My last one was Black so it was easy to coordinate and make look good.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Oops! I thought it was black lol! Well either way, my little brother 95green I believe his name is has the exact same car as you so you can check his out as well. But I remember who you are now, I loved your car, that KB is nasty.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Oops! I thought it was black lol! Well either way, my little brother 95green I believe his name is has the exact same car as you so you can check his out as well. But I remember who you are now, I loved your car, that KB is nasty.

Thanks!

Yea, the picture I took is not the greatest. Also the paint needs buffed and waxed terribly bad. Thing has some bumper stickers on it and I just went out to take them off with a heat gun and discovered they were hiding holes in the bumper :slowclap:

Its a good thing my wife is supportive, lol. Already sold her on some new body parts!

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Heres a few pictures I just snapped to put things into a bit more perspective with the grime and neglect. The interior has been chain smoked in too, so that all will be coming out for a nice deep clean.

Bumper sticker covering hole...

Really hate dirty engine bays...

Burninriverdiver

Reaction score
Should be a great project, looking forward to seeing the progress. The RX-7 looks insane, that thing has to be a beast

Musturd

Post Whore
Reaction score
That rx7 is bad ass man welcome back and looks like you gotta good start with the Stang

Win

Legend
Reaction score
DropTopPony - has IMO what a green vert GT should look like
Win - another awesome green 'vert
JonBeast - his green 'vert was tits

Just wait till I install all those goodies ;)

So far I have seen Win's build thread and it looks real good. I will have to check out the other two as well!

i started one but of course life gets in the way and I haven't made any large purchases lately. Actually might be going another direction with the motor.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Maybe I can convince my wife that a nice HCI package would help the car's driving characteristics. A Mustang just is not a Mustang without a nice cam lope...

[video]http://s741.photobucket.com/user/86svo9l/media/Mustang%20Convertible/StartupidleMustang.mp4.html[/video]

StartupidleMustang.mp4.html

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Stage 1 of removing the scum complete!

Found some interesting things. Removed all of the stickers from it. Only ones I could not take off were from the back bumper. I believe they may be super glued on, especially considering they are covering damage. They just will not come off. Worked a lot of the trouble paint areas with some Meguiers cleaner wax. Top was disgusting, may need a couple more cleaning passes before it looks nice again.

The seats had a lot of what I hope were tobacco leaves embedded in there. A nice pile accumulated after I was working the crevices on the bottom cushions. Got a lot of nasty buildup off the interior, nothing worse than smoke scum. Cleaned and got the hydraulics operational for the top too.

Spent some time cleaning the engine bay up, nothing too crazy yet.

Next step is to move on to Stage 2! Stage 2 will be fixing/upgrading stuff to acceptable standards.

Sorry for the dark pictures. Lighting in my garage is a bit sub par at the moment...

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
Huge diff man coming along great

Thanks!

Still has that nasty smoke smell in it. I think once it is cleaned up and it gets wrapped up until spring I will unleash several boxes of baking soda inside of it and some dryer sheets.

TanTop94

Reaction score
Thanks!

Still has that nasty smoke smell in it. I think once it is cleaned up and it gets wrapped up until spring I will unleash several boxes of baking soda inside of it and some dryer sheets.

My brothers car was chain smoked in as well, he started to leave coffee beans in a cup in there for awhile, actually helped with the smell a lot.

OP
OP
86svo9l

86svo9l

Reaction score
My brothers car was chain smoked in as well, he started to leave coffee beans in a cup in there for awhile, actually helped with the smell a lot.

Ground or unground? My mom dumped a bunch of out of date by about 3 years coffee on me over Christmas for some reason. Be a perfect use of that stuff!

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online