keeping up with LS1

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Well there is a guy I know that at some point or another will want to run our Mustang with his camaro. He has a 1999 Z28, automatic. It will eventually have full exhaust.

What will it take to get our 94 5.0 convertible to keep up? we are going 3.73, full exhaust, and probably some more stuff.

Thanks!

ryclef331

Reaction score
is your car an auto as well? If so....you'll need a hope and a prayer....otherwise, I'd hide a 125 shot in the car and never tell him.

stang94X

Reaction score
Unfortunatly its not that easy, if you want an N/A motor than your going to have to have all the basic bolt-ons with heads, cam , and intake. LS1 cars are lighter than ours and the fact that you have a convertable just makes you even a lot heavier, so yank out all the weight you can. With the extra cubes and the higher 10.5 compression of the LS1 motor makes them torque monsters compared to our 5.0's, so the 3.73 gears you'll have is a must. Or you can throw on a supercharger or nitrous, thats a good way too.

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
is your car an auto as well? If so....you'll need a hope and a prayer....otherwise, I'd hide a 125 shot in the car and never tell him.

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: I was going to say a prayer ;D ;D ;D ;D

I would say every bolton and a good HCI setup :)

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Ours is a 5 speed. I was going to get rid of the air pump and pull out all the junk I can... what else can be gotten rid of?

As for blowers... what would a used basic vortech kit run me? How well can these 5.0s handle boost (compared to the 4.6) and in general?
I am all for the cheapness of nitrous, but I'd rather have something that once it is dyno tuned, it will always be there.

I hate this guy... he talks so much sh** about Mustangs, especially the ones like ours compared to his LS1. The thing is they are to different evolutions of engine and car.

And yes, I know how much complete dogs the mustangs like these are with automatic. I can totally tell how different the car is with a 5 speed.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
5 speed or not, that ls1 boasts over 300 horsepower and torque and not to mention they pull HARD on top end. You will need a good bit of motor work, or some sort of power adder to even keep up with that camaro.

95CALI-5.0

Reaction score
Good H/C/I and/or blower and call it a win :drunk:

The 5.0 and 4.6 work well with boost as long as you have a good TUNE. The 5.0 obviously will be cheaper to mod and work on.

95Grandtouring5.0

Reaction score
95CALI-5.0 said:
Good H/C/I and/or blower and call it a win :drunk:

The 5.0 and 4.6 work well with boost as long as you have a good TUNE. The 5.0 obviously will be cheaper to mod and work on.

just with a REALLY good set of heads cam and intake will take a STOCK ls1, with a blower then it will beat the camaro pretty easyily, as long as its stock. If not then a hope and a prayer would be handy.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Hmmm...... :naughty:

well... what can I expect to pay for the H/C/I setup... and/or the blower? How would the stock engine setup respond to boost? What are your guys' opinions on used parts... say a used h/c/i setup or a used blower kit?

hmmmmm

ripper

Reaction score
Fill his trunk with cinder blocks when he aint lookin ;) Without a blower he is a gonna eat ya for lunch.

ryclef331

Reaction score
I'm telling you....spray it with a 125 shot and you'll be FEEDING him tail lights.

NYC94GT

Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:
Well there is a guy I know that at some point or another will want to run our Mustang with his camaro. He has a 1999 Z28, automatic. It will eventually have full exhaust.

What will it take to get our 94 5.0 convertible to keep up? we are going 3.73, full exhaust, and probably some more stuff.

Thanks!
it's tough, but I would do a little weight savings, a 100shot, gears and some DR's. Who knows, driver error can come into play if he can't drive. He's sure he'll whip ur butthole so just staying with him or giving up a 1/2 a car to his will make him think... :-\

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
how SAFE is the 125 shot? How much $ to set it up?

honestly I'd rather just slap a blower on it and call it a day... what would that set me back?

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:
how SAFE is the 125 shot? How much $ to set it up?

honestly I'd rather just slap a blower on it and call it a day... what would that set me back?

About 3 grand. 4 if you want to pack a punch.

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Dang... is there any way to save money by going used on the blower kit? Unfortunately I don't think I will have 3-4 grand just layin around anytime soon.

Doesn't a nitrous kit cost a grand or less to setup? Or am I wrong?

oye.... why couldn't Ford just have given the 5.0 a heck of a lot more punch...... tsk tsk

OnyxCobra

Post Whore
Reaction score
My car weighs about 3250lbs, i'm 99% sure my friend's '99 Z28 is heavier. He has an auto also and the car ran a 13.6 stock. To beat him without nitrous you'll probably need heads/cam or a supercharger.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online