Little Red LED Looking Thing on Instrument Cluster Bezel?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
well stock meaning that ford dealerships could buy code at cost and have them installed if the customer wanted but there Was no led in the actual stock keyless/alarm

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Okay, so probably an aftermarket alarm at one point. I am not the first owner. And the wiring when I got the car was...no the best. It wouldn't surprise me if they ripped it out.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I honestly would be surprised if they did, except with the code alarm piece at least if they hooked up the starter kill. The starter kill on those was a normally open circuit so if the alarm went bad that meant your starter would not see power. Now the DEI alarms(blue led) used a normally closed starter kill so if you have a blue led I am willing to bet if you pull out the knee bolster/kick panel that you can find the old alarm module still installed.

If it was installed at a dealer, I fear what the alarm install would look like. Its funny but the worst installs I have ever seen both in security or autosound were done by mechanics and electricians. You would think they would know what too do but it really is a specialized area that takes a couple of year working regularly to be confident at it. Same as a mechanic. You don't want me overhauling you motor, you don't want your average mechanic/electrican friend to do your alarm/stereo install...

SVTstang96

Reaction score
I borrowed this pic from SVTstang96's thread:

1016280_476861355741452_1688565079_n.jpg

Notice the little red light looking thing on the right side of the bezel. Mine was on the left side, near where the rear defroster switch would be if I had one. It was just a red plastic dome, looked like it would have housed a light. Mine had nothing behind it, just that red dome. Maybe the one in the pic above is actually something different, but it sure looks like what I had. And I've seen other pics where that red dome thing was in the same place as mine was...

This was an aftermarket add on, the previous owner had an alarm installed and this was the theft light. This bezel is from a 01 so its the 01-04 style but will fit any 94-98 if you don't have rear defrost.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I guess that clears it up - it's from an alarm. You guys were right. It's amazing that the little led thing looks exactly the same - I guess from a popular brand of alarm :) Or they all used the same red dome thingie.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
back then they were all red but that style with the flat top was specific to code from what I remember. Later they switched too blue leds that everyone uses now.

chris91

Reaction score
Ah the old Code alarms. Reminds me of the Bulldog alarms that talked when you armed and disarmed. Viper had em too.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
did you ever do the really old codes with all black wires and they are labeled at the end? I only saw one never got to do one. the talkin alarms came and went really quick. We had one REALLY cheep one that was hilarious. IT would sound an alarm for a few seconds and then in a high-pitched Asian-anime voice would announce "I'VE BEEN TAMPERED WITH!" It was on a customers car and it was the funniest shit I have ever heard. If you could imagine what it would take to drop 3 veteran installers that had seen a lot of dumb shit from band-aids used as connectors(proud he used the nice cloth type too) to the floor literally crying and laughing for 10-15 mins. Hell we even called a couple of other shops we knew people at so they could hear it and I swear you could hear them hit the floor too.

Twista

Legend
Reaction score
Didn't have one on my 97gt but I have one on my 95gt. It does have a wiring leading to somewhere but it has never lit uP before
* Sent from tapatalk while sitting on the toilet at work*

Nightmare

Reaction score
depending on the alarm, we remove them as the older code alarms caused more problems than good. I have heard the asian alarm that ttocs talks about....pure comic gold...

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Mine is gone with the old bezel - still have it, it's just not in the car anymore. That's not a bad idea though...

copmagnet

Reaction score
I have this same thing in my car and have always wondered about it too. mine doesn't have an LED or anything in it, just a little plastic cap.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online

No members online now.