Little Red LED Looking Thing on Instrument Cluster Bezel?

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Hey guys, what is that little red LED looking thing on the instrument cluster bezel? My cluster had it, with nothing behind it, no actual LED or anything. It was just there. I figured the previous owner put it there for who knows what reason, but I've seen it on other cars as well. Anyone know?

Bub

Reaction score
Most likely an alarm. Mine has one as well.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Tapatalk 2

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
The only thing I can think of would be for the 'theft' light that blinks, which I don't think was used until 1996. Maybe the place is there for the LED, but they didn't actually start putting the LED in there until 96? ... just a guess. That's the only factory "LED" related thing I can think of that would be there.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I borrowed this pic from SVTstang96's thread:

1016280_476861355741452_1688565079_n.jpg

Notice the little red light looking thing on the right side of the bezel. Mine was on the left side, near where the rear defroster switch would be if I had one. It was just a red plastic dome, looked like it would have housed a light. Mine had nothing behind it, just that red dome. Maybe the one in the pic above is actually something different, but it sure looks like what I had. And I've seen other pics where that red dome thing was in the same place as mine was...

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
^ Ahh... that's definitely something that somebody added later on. It didn't come from the factory like that.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Well I think they moved it over to the right side (or maybe not, that cluster doesn't have the "dent" where the rear defroster cutout would be, like mine did). The other thing, is that the red dome thing looks *exactly* like the one that was in my car. Granted, I'm sure more than 1 of those dome things exists, so maybe it's just coincidence. I've just always wondered what it was :)

joekd

Reaction score
My 96 had a dealer installed alarm that had one just like that on the left side

DeepList

Administrator
Admin
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
that cluster doesn't have the "dent" where the rear defroster cutout would be, like mine did

That's because the bezel in the photo you posted above is from an 01+ style interior where the rear defroster button was moved to the area below the radio.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
Looks like you painted the dash so if you wanted to get rid of it its easy enough too fill/sand/paint in maybe 30 mins to let the puddy dry.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
That's because the bezel in the photo you posted above is from an 01+ style interior where the rear defroster button was moved to the area below the radio.

Ah that explains it. Thanks!

Looks like you painted the dash so if you wanted to get rid of it its easy enough too fill/sand/paint in maybe 30 mins to let the puddy dry.

The image isn't my bezel, just grabbed it from another source to show the red light thing I was talking about.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
I filled a similar hole on my dash years ago (7-8) and have not thought about it since. Go to vatozone and get an epoxy called plasticweld. Put a small dab in, sand/paint and your done.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I no longer have the stock bezel with the little red thing, I've got an Auto Meter bezel with Auto Meter gauges in it. But thanks for the advice, always good to know how to do these things!

FivepointSlow

Reaction score
My car was 100% stock outside of some stereo work and wheels when I got it. I had a red LED type thing in my cluster bezel aswell that had 2 5" or so long wires coming out of it that wheren't connected to anything. I popped it out, dremmeled the hole out a bit larger and put in the LED light for my after market alarm that I have yet to install... lol.,
Here's a picture.

lvthpYt.jpg

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Just an aftermarket alarm light. Most were installed on left side of dash for visibility to deter the thief coming up on driver door.

That was a standard issue 90's style light.

Better ones available now.

Orange 94

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
One of those LEDs would be handy for a meth light... I currently just have a bulb on the steering column.

OP
OP
mcglsr2

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Interesting. I'm pretty sure the car never had a anti-theft device on it (at least, no wires or anything left over in that area). I guess the dome thing must have been put in at the dealership or something, maybe as a "could have anti-theft device" or something.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
My car was 100% stock outside of some stereo work and wheels when I got it. I had a red LED type thing in my cluster bezel aswell that had 2 5" or so long wires coming out of it that wheren't connected to anything. I popped it out, dremmeled the hole out a bit larger and put in the LED light for my after market alarm that I have yet to install... lol.,
Here's a picture.

lvthpYt.jpg
The flat red one is an old code alarm led. the newer one is a DEI style that a bunch of brands use.

DropTopPony

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I doubt it was dealer installed. Unless you are the original owner there most likely was an aftermarket alarm installed.
Alarms were expensive in the 90's and not uncommon to be removed and installed in each new car you bought especially if it was a really nice one with pager etc.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Srchop16

Members online