Livewires vs. Ford Racing wires

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I'm looking to upgrade to a new set of plug wires soon as a birthday gift actually. Me and my dad were looking at them on LMR.com today and he brought up the question of what is so much better about them that makes them $110 while the Ford Racing 9mm wires were only $50. From what we could tell there's not much difference in the two. Any of you guys using either of these wires or have anything good or bad to say about either one?

95opal

Reaction score
Livewires are 10.4mm immrc Ive ran them since 07 and never had a problem. Don't know about 14hp on the dyno though

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
Livewires are 10.4mm immrc Ive ran them since 07 and never had a problem. Don't know about 14hp on the dyno though
I read somewhere that they were 8mm wires but with an added 2mm of insulation from the glass braid and silicone coating, not sure how valid that is though. There were only two reviews for livewires and a dozen+ for the FRPP wires so i just wanted a few more opinions on them.

toyman

Reaction score
The difference is most likely in what you can't see . Quality in the components and manufacture.

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
Ford Racing is fine. I have their 9mm ones. Only had an issue because my longtubes cooked two wires. I never ziptied them up from the headers. So it was my fault lol. I can't justify spending $110 on wires

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
in my own sarcastic way I am telling you that your not going to feel any difference in the two types, and even if you dyno them a-b your still not going to feel any difference except in your wallet. I am not saying there is not a difference as after a career installing audio/security I know there can be a difference in wires but when your comparing two well known brands the difference will be minimal outside of brand badging. Now with that being said if I showed you the signal cables I am using for my stereo and what I paid for it it would make this article point moot... So basically ask yourself do you like them 2x as much as the others, will you be happy with the cheaper ones.

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
in my own sarcastic way I am telling you that your not going to feel any difference in the two types, and even if you dyno them a-b your still not going to feel any difference except in your wallet. I am not saying there is not a difference as after a career installing audio/security I know there can be a difference in wires but when your comparing two well known brands the difference will be minimal outside of brand badging. Now with that being said if I showed you the signal cables I am using for my stereo and what I paid for it it would make this article point moot... So basically ask yourself do you like them 2x as much as the others, will you be happy with the cheaper ones.
Lol oh yea I knew you were being sarcastic. I should have posted links to the two sets for comparison. At this point either set will be better than the ones I have now which are bottom of the barrel cheap-o that I took the easy way out on so we could fire the car up on the initial rebuild. One of them burnt on a header a while back so I'm using a spare that came with them that is like a foot longer than needed. I like how both the ford and livewires are cut to length, I hate the spaghetti-fest under the hood right now. I just couldn't find enough satisfactory info online to explain why one set is twice as high as the other.

Dugzy33

Reaction score
The difference is most likely in what you can't see . Quality in the components and manufacture.

BINGO!

Just because you cant "feel" the difference does not mean they are not better.
Wires are a consumable like a spark plug.
The better the set at the beginning the longer and more reliable they will last.

With wires you want the lowest resistance in ohms.
You can measure that with a multi meter.
ford racing wires have a much higher resistance than the more expensive ones.

I bought some taylor thundervolts.
i think i paid like 60 bucks a set and they are far superior to ford racing in the resistance and the quality.
(I got 10,000 ohm resistance from my old ford wires, and the new taylors where 50 ohm)

Should perform better and longer.
Well worth the 20 extra bucks over 39.99 ford wires.

Here...

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/tay-84692/overview/make/ford/model/mustang

Also, I love LMR, but occasionally you can find the same or better options from a local parts store or
online from the manufacturer or another middle man.

As always, Just my 2 cents worth.
Do as you see fit.
Doug

OP
OP
ElrodKTPQ_89

ElrodKTPQ_89

Legend
Reaction score
I took the easy way out for the time being and went with the Ford Racing wires. I'm happy with them over the wires I had no doubt! A lot better quality wire and having them cut to the right lengths is so much more desirable over having nearly a foot of slack on some wires. Plus I got them in black so they look pretty good along with my intake and valve covers.

mcglsr2

SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
You'll be happy with them, just like thousands upon thousands of other people are. Meaning, they are good enough for most applications. Sure there are better wires out there, but in most applications of some bolt-on modifications it's more than good enough. If you are running some crazy-high compression engine or something with a lot of boost and have to upgrade the ignition system to get that spark on there, maybe the Ford Racing wires won't cut it. For a bolt on engine? Probably fine. The stock Ford ignition in these cars is actually pretty damn good. So, don't lose sleep over your decision to go the Ford wires route - unless of course you are one of those crazy high compression/high boost people :D

Besides, you've got like 8 wires, so if one or two are bad, it's okay, because you've still got like 6 others; not like a 4 cylinder engine, where if 1 or 2 is bad that's like 50% of your wires.

Just kidding ;)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Cwacaser

Members online