Looking at a 4v

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
Welp ive had my 5.0 since i was 15 and i wanna get a newer mustang. Has to be a Cobra or Mach though lol. Im stuck between two at the moment. An 01 blue cobra vert, really clean, about 85k on the clock and asking 10k. I think id hate myself if i gave up my vert and didnt get another lol. The other option is a red 97 cobra, clean as well about the same miles asking around 9 k. So im just asking for some opinions, info, advice, anything. I've never driven a 4v car so idk what to expect yet lol thanks guys

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
well, you're comparing apples and oranges a little bit.

the 97 has a teskid aluminum block and B heads.
the 01 has a WAP aluminum block and C heads.

the 97 has a solid rear axle.
the 01 has independant rear suspension.

what are your plans with the car? auto-x or drag? or strictly street drivin? if you jsut want a fun DD that hits the tracke very once in a while, id get the 01. The IRS will give a nice smooth ride that corners well, while maintaining your convertible top.

if you want a drag car taht you can drive on the street, get the 97. it looks better, has a better block, has SRA, and you wont have to live with "should have bought an 03/04" everytime you talk to someone about your car... lol.

OP
OP
R

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
Lol yea i know they're not the same at all, the only thing really the same about them is the name. It'll be my DD, maybe a few small mods, maybe see the track a few times but its in no way being built for that. I love both body styles =/ can you go a little more in depth about the blocks for me chris?

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
um. not really. the teskid is an aluminum block thats rated for 1,000+ HP. they came in 1996-1998 cobra mustangs and lincoln mark 8s (or something like that. the one i have in my garage came from a lincoln.)

they were made with the same aluminum that ferrari used in their engine blocks durring those same years. They are a high-quality product and are much more desirable over the WAP blocks.

The WAP came in the new edge mustang cobras and mach 1s. they arent as strong. thats about all i can tell you.

if you are looking for a fun car with less than 450 HP to drive to work everyday, get the 01.

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
looks like they may have used teskid blocks all the way up to 2001...

GDTrumbo said:
The Teksid Aluminum foundry you speak of is the Carmagnola plant in Turin, Italy. Teksid is owned by FIAT. They have, for many years, produced flawless castings for the likes of Ferarri, Lamborghini, Fiat, Ford, Chrysler, GM and Daewoo just to name a few. C'mon MustangChris! Get it together man!

GT - Former Teksid Alum. CAD Tech. - Dickson, TN plant. Yes, where your cyl. heads were cast & "cubed".

shoot that guy a PM. he'll answer any questions you got. ;-)

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
also, the 2001 will have a returnless fuel system, whereas the 1997 will have a return style.

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
I think you will be happy with whichever one you get! I love my 4v cobra 100 million times more than my 95 5.0L GT but I miss the affordable replacement parts my 95Gt offered...

OP
OP
R

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
Venomous96Cobra said:
I think you will be happy with whichever one you get! I love my 4v cobra 100 million times more than my 95 5.0L GT but I miss the affordable replacement parts my 95Gt offered...

I wanted to talk too someone who has owned both! haha what were some of the first differences youve noticed after getting the 4v?

MustangChris said:

GDTrumbo said:
The Teksid Aluminum foundry you speak of is the Carmagnola plant in Turin, Italy. Teksid is owned by FIAT. They have, for many years, produced flawless castings for the likes of Ferarri, Lamborghini, Fiat, Ford, Chrysler, GM and Daewoo just to name a few. C'mon MustangChris! Get it together man!

GT - Former Teksid Alum. CAD Tech. - Dickson, TN plant. Yes, where your cyl. heads were cast & "cubed".

sweet thanks man. is there anyway to tell the difference between the blocks right off the bat?

RockstarMentality

Reaction score
RideThePONYgt said:
I've never driven a 4v car so idk what to expect yet lol thanks guys
Jaw dropping awesomeness and an exhaust note that makes Ferarri owners jelous :tongue3:
What are you looking to get out of the car? Auto-x, drag, cruiser, or kickass street car?

OP
OP
R

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
Kickass street car, cruiser with some quarters!

I was considering machs too, but id kick my own ass if i bought one instead of a Cobra.

OP
OP
R

RideThePONYgt

Reaction score
Plus i think a new edge vert looks beter then an sn95 vert. but thats just from pics ive seen. anyone wanna see the cars? lol

dutch

Reaction score
for your plans, get the snake. IRS ftw

MustangChris

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
RideThePONYgt said:
Venomous96Cobra said:

I wanted to talk too someone who has owned both! haha what were some of the first differences youve noticed after getting the 4v?

MustangChris said:

GDTrumbo said:

sweet thanks man. is there anyway to tell the difference between the blocks right off the bat?

casting marks. Duffy knows how to tell the difference right off the bat.

RideThePONYgt said:
Plus i think a new edge vert looks beter then an sn95 vert. but thats just from pics ive seen. anyone wanna see the cars? lol

i agree.

atlanticblue98

Reaction score
i would do dirty, disgusting things for a True Blue 01 Cobra

13.jpg

9.jpg

2.jpg

1.jpg

2.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads