Looking at a 97 GT vert.

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Hi all,

like the post says, I am considering buying a 97 green with tan top GT 5 speed. The car has various dents and the hood paint is poor. 170k, runs and drives well, asking 2800. It has sun damage to the top on the rear section below the window, it will need a top soon. How does this sound, pricewise? The guy is pretty firm at 2800, even though the body is dented on several panels. How hard is it to replace the tops on the SN cars?

Thanks

GTamas

Reaction score
Hi,
I haven't done full top replacement yet, only the rear window panel. It is some hassle, but I think it's doable. If I had to replace the complete top, sure I would try it myself. The most difficult thing is probably the proper alignment and probably having to do and re-do it a couple of times until it fits perfect.
I have found this description, it looks useful to me:

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Thanks, I appreciate it! The rear panel is the part that has the most sun damage. You said you did that yourself? I didn't realize you could replace just the rear panel. Did it damage anything on the top when you worked on it?

GTamas

Reaction score
Yes, you can buy a rear panel separately and replace it without taking the rest of the top off. I did a small thread here. There is also a video linked there (not made by me).

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
I think now a days and decent appearing , running, driving car topples over $2000 and the fact youre looking at a potential classic v8 muscle car, i think $2800 is a great price.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Thanks, I think I will buy it, but the problem I have is that the seller isn't responding now. I have looked at it and heard it run, it seems pretty solid, if dented up some. I do not understand people who are selling stuff but won't answer.

Booboo

Reaction score
I have a 97 GT convertible. I did the top myself and it was easier than I expected. Look at a few youtube videos and plan onm a good day to get it done.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Thanks, I am not sure I will be able to buy it, the guy is not answering messages. I do not understand people who are trying to sell something but are not available for buyers to contact them.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Well the guy finally got back to me and I am supposed to go look at it in person tomorrow, I will keep ya'll posted if he actually comes through with the address. Is there anything that anyone recommends checking for potential issues?

ctandc

Reaction score
Strut tower rot. That's the first thing I'd check personally. Not just what you can see from up top in the engine compartment. I've seen them look okay up top, then once you stick your hand down in there, there are sections of metal simply missing from rot.

Me personally I'd also check out the front suspension. That many miles - if the ball joints, outer / inner tie rods / struts etc look factory, they are going to need to be replaced before long.

Mustang5L5

Reaction score
I paid $1K for a non-running 2000 GT convertible with 68K miles.

I eventually got it up and running fine. Had some electrical issues, but I also discovered the entire suspension pretty much needed to be redone. Bad bashings in the control arms, ball joint boots were torn and grease leaking out. All 4 struts were junk. So i had to drop a little money into the car to correct the suspension issues. Probably $1-1500 on new suspension parts.

Convertibles also have issues with leaks. The leak at the rear window, which drops down into the "basket" area behind the rear seat and pours water into the interior there. Also, it can leak around the well-trim area. Convertibles are designed for water to flow around the bottom of the rop and dump into a pocket under the rear quarter windows, where there are drains to the pavement. Often times these clog, so the water instead flows out into the floor under the rear carpet. So inspect the rear carpet area where passengers feet would go and see if it seems damp or smells moldy.

Then there's the usual mustang stuff like strut tower rot, as mentioned. If you see any, i would walk. Not worth it, even at a cheap price.

OP
OP
P

Paladin1001

Reaction score
Thanks all for the replys, but in the end, I have never gotten to see the car. The guy flaked out on me gain. I am moving on. The guy is bad enough that his wife texted me to apologize. It is a shame, it looks good in pictures and is a decent price. It has body damage and needs a fender but other than that it is probably a good car. But the owner? Different story.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Suprasuavy

Members online