looking at a 98' Cobra 'vert

super_dave

Reaction score
Hello All! I'm very new to this community, along with domestic cars in general! I have a good amount of knowledge with Hondas and Nissans in the tuning world, and think it's about time for me to go domestic!! My dad has a 1998 SVT convertible with 23k original miles on it that he's willing to seel to me for a super good deal. I've always loved the Mustang more than any other american car, but just got into the import tuning scene growing up. I was wondering the capabilities of the 4v DOHC motor? Especially staying n/a. Are the internals forged? Are they good with spray? etc, etc. I'd like the car to be running 12's in the 1/4 easy. Is this easily done as with LS1's and such? Any input is greatly appreciated!

Thanks!!! :headbang:

schacher94gt

Reaction score
12s should be pretty simple with this car. Gears, short throw, and other basic bolt ons would get ya there. 03-04 cobras are the only fully forged 32v but the motor will have a forged crank. But my best advice is skip the small bolt ons and run a SC at 8 psi and set of gears and sticky tires and youll be hurting ls1s all day.

greenscobie86

Reaction score
Welcome!

what is this guy asking for the car? We can tell you if its a good deal or not ;)

also, you'll be able to go 12's with the car but you'll have to mod it with the parts mentioned above.

the 32v 4.6 isn't a monster like the LSJuan, but ti can still pull its own weight.

OP
OP
S

super_dave

Reaction score
greenscobie86 said:
Welcome!

what is this guy asking for the car? We can tell you if its a good deal or not ;)

also, you'll be able to go 12's with the car but you'll have to mod it with the parts mentioned above.

the 32v 4.6 isn't a monster like the LSJuan, but ti can still pull its own weight.

I'll be buying the car from my father. we agreed on $8k.

Bummer about not being a beast like the ls1. What kind of numbers can you get out the 4v motor? a small list of good recommended bolt ons, with cams and a tuning system/reflash? what kind of whp/wtq is "average"?

96_SVT_Cobra

SN95 Supporting Member
Reaction score
how much do u want to spend on mods for it, but if u just want 12s id say u could get there with some 4.10 or 4.56 gears, a good ram air or cai, short throw shifter, long tube headers with o/r x and some straight through mufflers, a good dyno tune, then run some big and skinnies with slicks. should look into maybe some drag springs for the rear and some sub frame connecters just to tighten the chassis up.

schacher94gt

Reaction score
its not worth doing a cam swap if we have the third best cams in from factory. Do some 4.10 or 4.30s, DRs, o/r mid pipe, SFC, and a small shot and tune

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
4v cobra love some boost! I say get the car for 8k especially since you know the cars history since its family owned and the fact that the car has 23k on the clock! im sure your dad didnt beat the crapout of the car so you got a good platform to build off of!!!

greenscobie86

Reaction score
8k is a GREAT deal.

The mods, just do what everyone else mentioned and you'll get into the 12's. Since verts are kinda heavy, a spot of weight reduction wouldn't be a bad idea as well :)

OP
OP
S

super_dave

Reaction score
SAV SVT said:
Here is a dyno vid of my 98 Vert all motor 11:1 Mods list at bottom of vid just to give you an idea of what this motor can make n/a.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qW06fotTmhU

Wow! 350 whp seems very nice! I'll definitely be doing an n/a nuild, I just love all motors that produce big power! How much did you spend on that n/a build?

SAV SVT

Reaction score
I definitly spent some $$ on this build. With all the porting + stroker kit + Head work came to around 8k. Good luck bro if you need any advice shhot me a PM

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
Long tubes, o/r x pipe, IMRC delete, CAI, will get you right around 300hp to the ground. Gears, suspension, shifter, should put you in the 12's

jabird

Reaction score
Welcome Super_Dave, like your Cobra! Great deal on a sweet set of wheels! A couple of things you should think about if you are going to drag race that vert: sub-frame connectors and a roll bar. Really helps stiffen things up, and if you plan on hard launches, it will keep the car from twisting and your doors won't close. Good luck! :icon_salut:

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
I love how first of all people compare a cobra to a camaro, we have over a liter less of displacement. Next has anyone ever actually had a motor walk up to them and say, "i don't like boost"???? this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Obviously if you put a blower or any type of power adder on an engine with a respectable c/r then you will make good power. 4v's are good for the fact of valve area and how much air you can flow though them, and the ability to independently adjust the intake to the exhaust cams at will.

Good luck whit your purchase.

Venomous96Cobra

Reaction score
Duff Daddy said:
I love how first of all people compare a cobra to a camaro, we have over a liter less of displacement. Next has anyone ever actually had a motor walk up to them and say, "i don't like boost"???? this is the stupidest thing I've ever heard. Obviously if you put a blower or any type of power adder on an engine with a respectable c/r then you will make good power. 4v's are good for the fact of valve area and how much air you can flow though them, and the ability to independently adjust the intake to the exhaust cams at will.

so basically what you are saying is that 4v's love boost :angel4:

duff daddy

Legend
Reaction score
Venomous96Cobra said:
Duff Daddy said:

so basically what you are saying is that 4v's love boost :angel4:

any motor you put a blower on will respond well to above atmospheric air pressures being forced in to a combustion chamber

Shifty Powers

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
Long tubes, o/r x pipe, IMRC delete, CAI, will get you right around 300hp to the ground. Gears, suspension, shifter, should put you in the 12's

Dont forget a short runner intake to hit that #.. But you are also going to need a tune to hit those numbers..

Cams, Plenums, and throttle bodies are stuff that dont need to be changed in these cars..

Also you can get to 350rwhp by basically doing a heads/intake swap with a nice tune + the above listed mods as well though...

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Superman3872

Members online