Looking for a 5.8 cobra intake manifold

TT94SVT

Reaction score
I'm swapping to forged 351w based bottom end in my 94 cobra. I know the 5.8 cobra intake manifold exists but I cant find anywhere with one for sale. Maybe someone knows where I could find one.
3131325798_bb949cee10_z.jpg

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
never heard of it.... Surely never seen it.
It came in the 1995 cobra R. I know replica manifolds were made at one point as well. I'd love to get my hands on a replica

07GtS197

Reaction score
How about looking for a lightning intake? The only difference between that and the 5.0 cobra is the lower intake and intake plaque. If you can find a lower intake you could use a 5.0 upper.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
for the price you will pay for that I would look at the lightning intake myself.
Im willing to pay a lot just for the 5.8 cast on it. I dont believe there is any difference between it and the gt40 cobra intake and the cobra r intake other than the 5.8 vs the 5.0. It's not really a show car but I still like to pay attention the the little details just for me. But I guess having the 5.0 on the intake might make me a little more money on the streets.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Im willing to pay a lot just for the 5.8 cast on it. I dont believe there is any difference between it and the gt40 cobra intake and the cobra r intake other than the 5.8 vs the 5.0. It's not really a show car but I still like to pay attention the the little details just for me. But I guess having the 5.0 on the intake might make me a little more money on the streets.
Having the cobra r intake would also eliminate the adapter plates on the intake due to the wider lifter valley.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
what about the option of making a custom plate to go over the top of a regular cobra intake? I could make one on my cnc out of aluminum.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
I see lightning intakes for sale every now and then. Had thought about getting one for my build but decided I want better performance.

If you want performance just go aftermarket. If you truly want the look then search for the lightning intake.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
I see lightning intakes for sale every now and then. Had thought about getting one for my build but decided I want better performance.

If you want performance just go aftermarket. If you truly want the look then search for the lightning intake.

Do you think the intake will be a huge bottle neck on a s480 5.8 afr 205 heads cobra cam with around 20psi of boost?

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
what about the option of making a custom plate to go over the top of a regular cobra intake? I could make one on my cnc out of aluminum.
They do sell adapter plates for 302 intakes on 5.8 windsor blocks. It would probably be pretty easy to do with a cnc machine as well. Looks like I could my current cobra upper on a lightning lower intake which is like $80.

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Do you think the intake will be a huge bottle neck on a s480 5.8 afr 205 heads cobra cam with around 20psi of boost?

Intake would definitely be the bottleneck.

So goes back to my earlier question. Do you want performance or looks??

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
from what I read now after this its just a cobra intake with 5.8 on the top? IF that is teh case then its 70 mm wide at the throat and can be ported to 75 easily but I would have to think on a healthy 351 that it would be a bit of a pinch.

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Intake would definitely be the bottleneck.

So goes back to my earlier question. Do you want performance or looks??

It’s just a weekend car street use sometimes roll racing on the highway. IATs aren’t really an issue I have methanol water injection, air to air intercooler and e85. My thought was just to continue to use nitrous down low an run a ton of boost. Is there a neccearily power limit on these intakes In this situation?

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
It’s just a weekend car street use sometimes roll racing on the highway. IATs aren’t really an issue I have methanol water injection and e85. My thought was just to continue to use nitrous down low an run a ton of boost. Is there a neccearily power limit on these intakes In this situation?

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
from what I read now after this its just a cobra intake with 5.8 on the top? IF that is teh case then its 70 mm wide at the throat and can be ported to 75 easily but I would have to think on a healthy 351 that it would be a bit of a pinch.
Yes I’d like the 5.8 on the top kinda adds to theme of the build. And I’m kind of a cobra guy even though the only Cobra part left on the car is the steering wheel and the vin

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
It’s just a weekend car street use sometimes roll racing on the highway. IATs aren’t really an issue I have methanol water injection, air to air intercooler and e85. My thought was just to continue to use nitrous down low an run a ton of boost. Is there a neccearily power limit on these intakes In this situation?
My thought is that I would hit the limit on my bottom end first. It’s has a balanced scat crank, eagle rods, arp 2000 rod bolts, srp pistons. But maybe not I’m pretty new to the 351w stuff

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
My thought is that I would hit the limit on my bottom end first. It’s has a balanced scat crank, eagle rods, arp 2000 rod bolts, srp pistons. But maybe not I’m pretty new to the 351w stuff

Windsor tall decks have been known to hold 1,000hp if built and tuned correctly. Hell, roadkill did over 1500 on a stock bottom end before blowing it up.

Your intake will limit your bottom end first. [emoji38]

OP
OP
T

TT94SVT

Reaction score
Windsor tall decks have been known to hold 1,000hp if built and tuned correctly. Hell, roadkill did over 1500 on a stock bottom end before blowing it up.

Your intake will limit your bottom end first. [emoji38]

Well that answers my question. I reallly want 1000. What intake would you recommend?

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online