Looking for build suggestions 94-98 Cobra (Canyon Carver)

MrE

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a 94-98 cobra. What im looking to get out of the car is a comfortable GT car for 5 hour drives to Las Vegas. I also want some punch off the line and good passing power on the freeway. Still want to be pretty easy to drive in traffic. Kenne Bell supercharger is high on the list because it seems like the quietest. Quiet it very important to me. I don't know much about gearing and stock vs forged internals, heads, etc. Would like to see 410-450whp

I feel like this part might be the hardest. I want to take it on some canyon carving runs. There are some great roads near me but they are very tight, turn wise, and not much fun if your car does not corner fairly flat with direct steering. This may be at odds with the comfortable thing but our wants are what they are and I want it to handle as well or better than my 05 Nissan Z.

Anyone got suggestions on mods?
I appreciate it.

Cpotts13

Reaction score
Maybe you should look for something other than a mustang.... Not joking.. I used to drive my stock mach 1 (which is way more comfortable than those year cobras) 5 hours one way home. It was not a comfortable ride, nor a quiet one. One thing to consider is that you would probably pay a good bit making it "comfortable". Add in suspension suited for mild corner carving and you most definitely won't have a smooth quiet ride.

I mean I love mustangs, but thank god I have a DD...

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Thanks for your input Cpotts

In 1999 i bought a '95 Mustang v6 in lazer red with tan cloth interior. I drove it cross country three times. Slept in it a few times, it was comfy and the cloth on the 95 seats where really good, everyone who sat in it commented on them. I wasn't into canyon driving at the time so i dont recall how it handled specifically. At the time i also had nothing to compare it to either. That 'stang was my favorite car, still is. Sold it in 2008 to buy my dad a Lexus. Only thing i wish my old car had was a convertible and a cobra badge. Im back to right the wrongs lol.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Oh and when i say quiet i mean the blower. I dont mind loud exhaust as long as there is no drone. Dont really mind the wine of a TVS or Roots type but anything high pitched is intolerable to me. Centrifugal Superchargers tend to have a high pitch whistle even at idle. I cant do it. I put a cold air intake on my 95 v6 and it whistle at me constantly. Not even 1000watts of stereo would drown it out. Drove me nuts.

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you love the 94-98 body then I would look into a Termi swap motor. Then do the IRS from the cobra too.
Grab the MM cataloge and start upgrading the suspension

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Do you have some sort of budget?

Budget.. think i can pick up the car for around 10k. Likely another 5k to 10k in mods of course over time this could be more. 300$ here and there.
Things i know i want. Style Bar, Speedster cover, Lowered, short throw kit, side exhaust, modern radio.... over 400hp and reduced body roll,

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
If you love the 94-98 body then I would look into a Termi swap motor. Then do the IRS from the cobra too.
Grab the MM cataloge and start upgrading the suspension

I love the engine from the 03-04 cobra but seems like a lot of trouble to swap. I think the stock engine will be fine.
I did think about the IRS though.... I wonder if its worth it. How much do you think that would be? Can you just buy a complete kit?
Anyway to just make the stock suspension better?

I want to try and do a lot of this myself the keep the cost, and my wife's annoyance, down. Major surgery on just one part is less than ideal, how easy is the IRS swap?

CC'S95GT

Post Whore
Reaction score
IRS swap from a cobra is straight bolt in. Small amount of drilling. The whole set up is @ $800 depending on where you live.
Use the search feature on here for more info on each.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
IRS swap from a cobra is straight bolt in. Small amount of drilling. The whole set up is @ $800 depending on where you live.
Use the search feature on here for more info on each.

Thats exciting. For sure will look into that

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
While researching and shopping for a 94-98 Cobra ive come across the issue of horsepower.
Ive decided that i dont really save money by buying a 94-95 and the 96-98 make more power.
I know i want to supercharge with a TVS/Roots
However it seems that the Kenne Bell for 96-98 only delivers around 350rwhp
350 is a good amount for this car considering the stock HP but kind of weak in comparison to centrifugals
To get more im going to have to swap heads for 03-04 cobra units and that means paying someone to pull it apart (been a long time since i turned wrenches to that level)
Add to that the cost of wanting IRS from an 03-04
After all is said and done i could have had more HP and IRS stock if i just buy an 03-04 Cobra

ok so here is the issue for me. I like the 96-98 body better and have a connection to it from owning my 95
Is it better to buy a much much cheaper 96-98 Cobra and use the change for mods
or buy the more expensive car that, stock, out performs the older car but leaving no money for mods?

(typical car guy struggle)

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Install a 2v 5.4l! Torque!!!...and loads of it! No problems passing while in 5th gear loads of torque. None of the 5k to 6k rpm range crap (lol) just stupid loads of torque that is super fun. Makes driving a real pleasure!

Cpotts13

Reaction score
While researching and shopping for a 94-98 Cobra ive come across the issue of horsepower.
Ive decided that i dont really save money by buying a 94-95 and the 96-98 make more power.
I know i want to supercharge with a TVS/Roots
However it seems that the Kenne Bell for 96-98 only delivers around 350rwhp
350 is a good amount for this car considering the stock HP but kind of weak in comparison to centrifugals
To get more im going to have to swap heads for 03-04 cobra units and that means paying someone to pull it apart (been a long time since i turned wrenches to that level)
Add to that the cost of wanting IRS from an 03-04
After all is said and done i could have had more HP and IRS stock if i just buy an 03-04 Cobra

ok so here is the issue for me. I like the 96-98 body better and have a connection to it from owning my 95
Is it better to buy a much much cheaper 96-98 Cobra and use the change for mods
or buy the more expensive car that, stock, out performs the older car but leaving no money for mods?

(typical car guy struggle)

Buy the 03/04 cobra and don't look back..

cameron57

Reaction score
Buy 03 cobra you can get modded ones for 20k that have 450-600 rwhp if you shop around.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G920A using Tapatalk

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Im looking to buy a 94-98 cobra. What im looking to get out of the car is a comfortable GT car for 5 hour drives to Las Vegas. I also want some punch off the line and good passing power on the freeway. Still want to be pretty easy to drive in traffic. Kenne Bell supercharger is high on the list because it seems like the quietest. Quiet it very important to me. I don't know much about gearing and stock vs forged internals, heads, etc. Would like to see 410-450whp

I feel like this part might be the hardest. I want to take it on some canyon carving runs. There are some great roads near me but they are very tight, turn wise, and not much fun if your car does not corner fairly flat with direct steering. This may be at odds with the comfortable thing but our wants are what they are and I want it to handle as well or better than my 05 Nissan Z.

Anyone got suggestions on mods?
I appreciate it.

I have a similar path for my car. I look for roads like this to travel when i can.

4680736976_d97795cc7d_b.jpg

Averaging 5 hour trips just as you mentioned.

I couldnt be happier with the way this car takes turns. The build started purely on handling making the car corner as straight as an arrow as my first objective before moving forward with a full build. As it sits now, my only complaint is the solid rear. On a nice paved road it has 0 body roll and turns flawlessly. But, if your turning and thrown a big/bad dip it will moderately un settle the car in the rear-end at higher speeds. This winter its getting IRS. It is def a must for your goals.

the 96-98 cobra can take MAX:450W without major modifications so your goals are well within reach.

I also have a 1997 that is stock and can compare the stock suspension to my 98 on the same roads. It is quiet obvious why some would feel that these cars cannot turn. In stock form it has lots of body roll and lacks precision but do not be fooled out there guys. An sn95 CAN be built to take turns.

Heres another pic from another day of travel. Arrow in background shows the road cutting into the mountain side. My Pics Thread has more info.

IMG_20150816_145947348_HDR_zps04rtwqjl.jpg

K-Member is a must!

Good luck man!

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Buy 03 cobra you can get modded ones for 20k that have 450-600 rwhp if you shop around.

I considered this before buying and building mine, i decided it would be more logical to put new goodies into a 96-98. Rebuilt&forged motor, new Built trans, Full new suspension, boost Etc. Id rather have a fresh build over an old build anyday.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
I have a similar path for my car. I look for roads like this to travel when i can.

4680736976_d97795cc7d_b.jpg

Averaging 5 hour trips just as you mentioned.

IMG_20150816_145947348_HDR_zps04rtwqjl.jpg

K-Member is a must!

Good luck man!

Damn thats one hell of a road and one hell of a car. Love it. :thumbsup:. My roads aren't half as nice. Here in LA, Angeles Crest and Mullholland have to suffice. The surface gets pretty rough in some sections. My Z needs an alignment after my last run in the Glendale Mountains.

You mind running down a list of your suspension mods?
IRS is so tempting. I looked around a lil and saw them running for about 1400. My fear is buying used parts then not actually having all the parts i need... while laying out a ton of cash for the privilege. Only bonus is im pretty sure i could install it myself. is it true the 99-02 have IRS as well as 03-04. There is some confusion about that in the threads. If so does it matter what year you use?

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score

I considered this before buying and building mine, i decided it would be more logical to put new goodies into a 96-98. Rebuilt&forged motor, new Built trans, Full new suspension, boost Etc. Id rather have a fresh build over an old build anyday.

To me there really is just no fun in buying someone elses modded car. Id rather build what i want from a stock car. I would take it if had just been lowered had a style bar and speedster cover for a vert and some rims. But everything else should be blank canvas for you to mess with.

OP
OP
M

MrE

Reaction score
Buy the 03/04 cobra and don't look back..

You know i think if i were reading a stat sheet id take the 03/04
But i just like the 90's car i grew up with.
Being able to afford the mods is a big plus also. Parts are relatively cheap.

1998cobrasvt

Reaction score
Damn thats one hell of a road and one hell of a car. Love it. :thumbsup:. My roads aren't half as nice. Here in LA, Angeles Crest and Mullholland have to suffice. The surface gets pretty rough in some sections. My Z needs an alignment after my last run in the Glendale Mountains.

You mind running down a list of your suspension mods?
IRS is so tempting. I looked around a lil and saw them running for about 1400. My fear is buying used parts then not actually having all the parts i need... while laying out a ton of cash for the privilege. Only bonus is im pretty sure i could install it myself. is it true the 99-02 have IRS as well as 03-04. There is some confusion about that in the threads. If so does it matter what year you use?

Thanks for the kind words man!:cheers: I sure you can find some nicer area to drive up north or more toward Vegas. I have heard good things about the drive in Northern Cali. One area that comes to mind is the area around Neptunes on Pacific Cost Hwy in Malibu (the place Paul Walker stopped off at in F/F 1.)

As for your irs question, yes, 99-04 is all IRS. Stay away from 99 as it was still in the early stages. 01 02 is good, but the 03 04 cobra irs is considered the most desirable of them all.

At your budget you should have no problem. LMR.com has all the parts to upgrade/renew The IRS if needed.

Summary of Suspension List:

Ford Motorcraft HD Motor Mounts (LH & RH)

UPR Chrome-Moly K-Member Kit With Coil Overs & VikingSprings

UPR Steel 4-Bolt HD Caster Camber Plates

New Steering Rack (Rack & Pinion)

Tie Rod Ends

Koni "ORANGE" Sport Strut & Shock Kit

UPR Rear Coil Over Kit With Viking Springs

Some of the other misc stuff thats on their helps like stage 2 clutch, Alum. flywheel, Short throw shift, 4.10 gears subframes etc. Full write up in the link below in my sig if your interested.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online