Loss in power after installing headers... suggestions??

thorco3

Reaction score
First of all the car is basically stock. There is a K&N drop in filter, bassani o/r x, and bassani catback on the car. I just installed a set of equal lenght bassani headers a couple days ago and I seem to have actually lost some low end. I used to have plenty of power right off the line and the car really seems to be lacking. I don't seem to have near the power in 2nd gear either.

Do I just have too little restriction, not enough back pressure or what? and what do you guys suggest to get me back into the power and preferrebly more power? I know a full H/C/I swap would be great but can't quite afford that right now. Would just a new upper/lower intake help me out. Like trickflow, cobra, gt-40 intakes... or am I going to need more extensive mods??

I don't want to go back to the stock headers, and I'm sure there is nothing wrong with the bassani stuff. So what gives???

Suspect

Reaction score
:dunno: i didnt think u would lose any power by swapping headers?! :dunno:

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
Suspect said:
:dunno: i didnt think u would lose any power by swapping headers?! :dunno:

Well I was expecting more power not less... but the car feels sluggish, I dunno :-[

quickstang_1994

Reaction score
Go to the track and test it. Check your mph to see if horsepower went up.You may have lost low end torque but gain top-end horsepower.

ryclef331

Reaction score
quickstang_1994 said:
Go to the track and test it. Check your mph to see if horsepower went up.You may have lost low end torque but gain top-end horsepower.

ditto

Anrev

Reaction score
Put a cold air intake filter on. So it can breath better. And then get a throttle body.

drifts14x

Reaction score
Have you thought about changing heads, I know it's stupid, but whatever the restriction point, any restriction will screw you up. The car is breathing out probably better than ever, but it can't suck any air in, and what good is that. Also, do you have any exhaust leaks? Those never make for great grunt.

97vertstang

Reaction score
u lose some low end torque with headers, but u get more top end horsepower. i felt the same when i went to the o/r prochamber and bbk headers.

OP
OP
thorco3

thorco3

Reaction score
yeah after driving it some more, I feel like it just dropped off a little down low but seems to be pulling pretty harder in the upper rpm range.

upper and lower intakes are probably next on the to-do list. Before I even think about more mods I need to get another vehicle though. It is just impossible to take care of the car like I would like to and still drive it on a daily basis.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
TreeScholar

Staff online