Mac screen removable

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
Hi all my mates just brought a new CAI for his 2003 GT new edge but the instructions are saying to remove the maf screen, I always believed this to be a bad thing to do,
So should he remove it or not and why
Cheers all

Benni614

Reaction score
Hi all my mates just brought a new CAI for his 2003 GT new edge but the instructions are saying to remove the maf screen, I always believed this to be a bad thing to do,
So should he remove it or not and why
Cheers all
I have never removed the maf screen. I would advise not to

Sent from my SM-N975U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I’ve told him the same thing, we are just wondering why the kit tells you to remove it?

Last edited:

apsmith49921

Reaction score
When did they start adding MAF screens? Neither maf I have for my cobra has them

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

OP
OP
Adam Vinnicombe

Adam Vinnicombe

Reaction score
I’m guessing all the new edge GT’s have them. I always thought they were there to smooth out the air flow so that the sensor can read the amount of air coming in better. Also I thought that if you ecu has been set using a screen then you just remove the screen with out letting the ecu know about this the engine will not run to well. But if I’m wrong please let me know, always have an open mind

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
people think that a screen like that does not effect the airflow and at one time I did also. I witnessed an interesting experiment on an RC airplane field that changed my mind. The place I flew at was in Az and we had a decomposed granite runway that had been no problem since the early days of gas motors. In the early 2000s the ducted fans(electric jet basically) became more popular but the problem with our field was the landing gear would kick up some of the rocks and they would get sucked into the fan and it would only take a couple of small chips on the blades before it was out of balance and it would eat itself. Some of the guys started playing with the idea of putting mesh on the front to stop them and one of the guys had an old left over screen material he put on the front of the duct. It was surprising to find out that unless there were holes over 1/2" big or bigger it would cut down on the airflow enough that they could not take off. Now slower air in the intake probably is not a bad thing as it was designed that way and it might need it slowed down to get the reading for the maf.

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
When did they start adding MAF screens? Neither maf I have for my cobra has them

My 95 mustang has it
My 98 mustang has it
My 03 mach has it checked
My 97 cobra has it
My 97 4x4 f 150 has it
I haven't checked
my 07 supercrew or the rager

Last edited:

apsmith49921

Reaction score
That's super strange. I wonder why some dont. Neither of mine appear to be modified at all

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
I’m guessing all the new edge GT’s have them. I always thought they were there to smooth out the air flow so that the sensor can read the amount of air coming in better. Also I thought that if you ecu has been set using a screen then you just remove the screen with out letting the ecu know about this the engine will not run to well. But if I’m wrong please let me know, always have an open mind
Also keeps trash out , not all filters are perfect

apsmith49921

Reaction score
did you own the car originally or buy used
Someone could have been in the system one time or another and removed it
I bought it used. But neither MAF has any indication of having a screen. No cut screens no glue nothing

RAU03MACH

Legend
Reaction score
It has a rubber seal around screen and can pop out if the system was apart at one time

apsmith49921

Reaction score
Had a k and n on it when I got it. Most likely got ditched

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online