Mach 460 question

L

LR98Snake

I was considering doing some light stereo work on my car. I really can't afford to change the head unit and even if I did, I would have to bypass the amps in the car. I don't want to do that. Upon some research I have found that the amps in the car equal 460w. Does anyone know if putting a bigger amp in place of the two rear ones and bridging it to a, lets say 10" sub possible? I'm trying to put a little more bass in my car with out having to sacrifice so much money on a hole know set up.

jst854

Reaction score
If you change your head unit you do not have to bypass the factory amps, I just did this myself, It sounds so much better that the stock head unit. The stock amps in the mach systems like having a higher input level such as a speaker input level rather than a rca level input. It will work with a rca level input but will not be as loud and will distort at higher volumes. I would suggest if just getting a cheap head unit and put it in. For a wiring harness you need this http://www.cardomain.com/item/SCOFDK2B . I got mine from crutchfield before i found this one. You can get one from crutchfield but it is $40. With this harness you will not use the wires to bypass the amps, you do not need to. Just the power and speaker harness, The two with the wires on one side. Hope this helps you

95-stang

Reaction score
Slightly off topic, how much power can the standard 460 system take, ie what are the speakers rated at?

916_5.0

Reaction score
The 460 system is a pain in the ass to deal with i had my local shop i get all my stuff from just pull all the amps and wiring out and run all new wires so i wouldnt have to deal with any of that pypassing crap. If you run a new head unit you will need to bypass the stock amps because your head unit will be putting out more whats than those amps for one and also to run a new deck to those speakers you have to pull the wiring because its got really stupid wiring.

95-stang

Reaction score
Yeh i did all that, put in a cheap and cheerful Pioneer unit, but its no where near powerful enough for the Mach speakers, so i'm thinking of getting an amp, but i dont want to burst the mach speakers by going to high power wise. ;)

kspilly

Reaction score
You can get decent sound with an aftermarket head unit, stock Mach amps and speakers, but just add a sub amp and sub. That's how my Cobra was set up when I got it. It had the correct wiring harness for the headunit that sent the speaker level inputs to the Mach amps, but it had the RCA outputs for the subs ran to an aftermarket amp powering a sub. It actually didn't sound too bad. Compared to most factory stereos, not bad at all.

Now, since I'm a huge audio fan, my Cobra was recently de-Mached. I removed all the factory speakers, and the huge contraption from under the rear deck with the amps, speakers, etc. hanging from it. Then ran all new speaker wiring and the front/rear RCAs to the new amp. I made a set of 6x9s fit in the rear deck cause I had an extra set, then made a plate and put 6 1/2 woofers in the doors, with the seperate tweeters up where the Machs were by the mirrors. Even mounted the crossover for the components in the little opening in the door since they look nice. Not too hard of a do it yourself project, and relatively cheap to do...just time consuming it you want to do it right. O0

95-stang

Reaction score
Too right, i wouldnt mind giving the guy who invented the original system a good kicking, you should'nt have to totally re-wire a car in this way.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online