Mach 460 Tweeter pods

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Ordered a set of the Mach pods off eBay, they should be here next week. Not that I'll be able to do anything with them, but at least I'll have them.

Pallgor

Reaction score
I have a Mach door tweeter speaker that goes in and out once in a while. I’m not sure if it the speaker or a bad channel from the radio. Radio is a kenwood. It came with the car. I’m thinking of replacing it with a Mach. Does anyone think it’s the speaker or the unit? Ty

badass98svt

Reaction score
I have a Mach door tweeter speaker that goes in and out once in a while. I’m not sure if it the speaker or a bad channel from the radio. Radio is a kenwood. It came with the car. I’m thinking of replacing it with a Mach. Does anyone think it’s the speaker or the unit? Ty

Are you sure it's just the 1 speaker that cuts out?
The upper or lower?

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
it could be the speaker or one of the many connections that is made from behind the radio till it gets to the door that is bad. Replacing the speaker will tell you if it is one or the other, but you might still have the same problem when your done.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Added a set to our non Mach car. It wasn't too bad, they do come apart in three pieces - a grille, outer shell (where the speaker attaches), and inner shell (that secures to the door metal):

View attachment 16729

There is a nice bit of room between the grille and outer shell to add aftermarket speakers or tweeters:

View attachment 16730

The hole is there to secure them already in the sheet metal, but you do need to thread the bolt or screw before trying to attach the pod:

View attachment 16731

And this is the part of the panel that requires trimming in order for the pods to fit properly:

View attachment 16732

View attachment 16733

My panels were junk is the reason I didn't peel back the vinyl as suggested by lwarrior1016 before cutting. The other panels I bought (two tone grey and black from a 95), definitely plan on pulling the vinyl back on those before trimming to get a really nice finished look.

I just bought a 1995 Mustang GT convertible.

It has an aftermarket head unit (Sony MEX-N3500BT). It has Mach 460 tweeter pods. So I assumed the vehicle came with the Mach 460 system.

But my pods appear to have been cut off shorter than yours on the bottom. Nothing protrudes into/through the door panel. I don't have the little tab on the bottom like yours do.

Could my pods have been "hacked" to fit a non-mach car?

IMG_7602.JPG

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
There is a good chance that they were added. Mach door panels were slightly different to allow for that lower area so if it just ends right at the panel they were added.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Those do look like they were cut down.

maillemaker

Reaction score
Yeah I'm pretty sure they were cut down. I found a YouTube video where a guy does this with a Dremel tool to add them to a non-Mach car.

I'm a little sad that the car didn't really come with the Mach 460 sound system, but the guy has an aftermarket head unit and the stereo sounds great so there's that.

OP
OP
joemomma

joemomma

Reaction score
Be glad it DIDN'T come with the Mach system. Nothing but trouble at this point. The amps are known to have component failure over time, resulting in a pretty decent drain on the battery. And, the system isn't all that to begin with compared to what you can do relatively inexpensively now with aftermarket stuff. The pods are nice though for component tweeter mounts!