MAF question

samseed101

Reaction score
I know the the SN95 MAFs had a flange on the intake side where it bolted up to whatever happened to be on the other side (CAI, filter, S/C, etc.) I also know that the older ones did not have this. They simply connected through a rubber sleeve or connected directly to a filter.

I have seen adapters that allow you to convert a 94/95 MAF to a 93 and older one. It was basically a small piece that bolted to the flange and allowed you to simply slide a sleeve over the otehr side just as if it were an older MAF. So here's my question:

Do they sell an adaptor that does the opposite? Basically, I'm having a hard ass time finding a larger MAF for my SN95. It absolutely has to have the flange to bolt up because I have a supercharger and not just a straight filter or CAI.

Here's what I was thinking. If I get a flangeless MAF and buy an adapter... can I turn the adapter around and connect to to the older style MAF via a rubber sleeve? Then the bolts would be facing outward and I could bolt them to my S/C piping. or would this cause some sort of issue like turbilant air, restricting airflow, swirling air, etc...

If that isn't going to work, does anyone know where I can get a larger MAF that has the flange? I looked at C&L but all their stuff is designed for N/A cars and they are flangeless, even for the 94/95 models.

Or am I going about this all wrong? I just had another idea. What if I cut the flange off the supercharger side? Would I then be able to simply slip a sleeve over the older style MAF and over the newly cut piping to make it work? If I were to do that, would it cause any turbulance issues?

I want to minimize turbulance as much as possible. Is there a certain length I should make the connecting tube or will it not mater and will it screw it up anyway? here's a pic of the flange and how the MAF connects in case you were wondering.

CIMG2399.jpg

ryclef331

Reaction score
If I were in your shoes, A) I'd avoid C&L all together and B) I'd cut the flange off the blower output like you said above. It will open you up to MANY more options for MAFs. I'd look at Professional Mass Air Systems (formally Pro-M) and Granetelli (Formally partnered with the former Pro-M). Both are great MAFs. Make sure when you talk to whoever, you tell them your setup and that its a blow through to make SURE you get the right part!

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
Yeah, the more I read about C&L, the more I am convinced to stay away. You mentioned one problem I am running into though. I have only found one MAF that would seem to fit my application. I have only found the Pro-Tube. All of the others I have looked at seem to be draw through and I don't think that's gonna work. I can't seem to find a good blowthrough for an SN95.

ryclef331

Reaction score
RUN A FOX BODY MAF! I've got a Pro-M 80mm straight of a 93 on my car. It runs LIGHT YEARS better than it ever did with a C&L. Fox calibrations are the same! Just besure to specify if you've got a GT or a Cobra and what size injectors you're running!

OP
OP
S

samseed101

Reaction score
ryclef331 said:
RUN A FOX BODY MAF! I've got a Pro-M 80mm straight of a 93 on my car. It runs LIGHT YEARS better than it ever did with a C&L. Fox calibrations are the same! Just besure to specify if you've got a GT or a Cobra and what size injectors you're running!

Cool. It's VERY helpful to know that fox calibrations are the same. That's what I wasn't sure about so that was worrying me. As far as injector size and getting the right MAF, that wouldn't be an issue anyway. I have a Tweecer RT. So I just enter the MAF transfer table from the MAF flowsheet. Then I adjust teh scalars for the High Slope, Low Slope, and Breakpoint. And then I have a MAF that is now calibrated to my injectors. And it's done the "proper" way so it's not just tricking the computer ;)

Now that I don't have to worry about the flange and now that I am not limited to 94/95 MAFs, this opens up a MUCH wider selection of MAFs. That's what I was hoping for.

jbeez

Reaction score
samseed101 said:
ryclef331 said:

Cool. It's VERY helpful to know that fox calibrations are the same. That's what I wasn't sure about so that was worrying me. As far as injector size and getting the right MAF, that wouldn't be an issue anyway. I have a Tweecer RT. So I just enter the MAF transfer table from the MAF flowsheet. Then I adjust teh scalars for the High Slope, Low Slope, and Breakpoint. And then I have a MAF that is now calibrated to my injectors. And it's done the "proper" way so it's not just tricking the computer ;)

Now that I don't have to worry about the flange and now that I am not limited to 94/95 MAFs, this opens up a MUCH wider selection of MAFs. That's what I was hoping for.

since you can enter the transfer table from the maf flow sheet I highly recommend you go with a high quality oem style maf that is repeatable, thats the important part. As long as the maf will give you the same readings under the same circumstances this week as it will next week its a good maf. Some nice MAF meters out there are the lightning 90mm, and the SCT BA-2800 and BA-2400 meters. I think some of the newer style pmas meters use this oem style setup as well, so they should also be good. I actually just ordered a pmas velocity 95mm calibrated for 85# injectors, since I don't have a chip or tweecer and just an anderson PMS I'm better off w/ something that was "calibrated" for my size injectors, but if I had a chip or tweecer I'd probably get the SCT meter.

hth
-J

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bwiz760

Members online