Might have screwed up my engine...

AzzLyp

Reaction score
My electronic fan relay went out the other day, not the ccrm, but an electronic fan thermostat that I was using because the fan circuit in the ccrm was overheating. So the engine started to overheat in a drive thru and by the time I got home - I was only a mile or so from my house - the temp gauge was starting to spike. I thought it would cool down enough with the air going through the radiator with the drive home but apparently, I lost a bunch of coolant as it was overheating and there wasn't enough to actually cool the engine. I replaced the electronic thermostat, replaced the lost coolant, started her up and she seems to run fine. But when I drive her, there's an off idle miss/stumble that goes away at about 3k rpm but is noticeable below that or when I go into 2nd gear when pulling into a turn. It's a 98 4.6 2v - are these engines really susceptible to engine damage when they overheat? I know some engines can handle it really well, but this is my first 2v engine. It almost feels like I melted a spark plug. I will be pulling them to check them, but I won't have the weather for it for a couple days as we are expecting a big rainstorm for the next couple days here in SoCal.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
Overheat you mean water boiling out? And you say the engine has developed a new pattern? My guess...headbolt failure. But this is worse case scenario. It may be just over heated plug wires that finally gave up. Dig in and look around.

B.mad

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
i overheated my car going up the canyon. The only thing that came out of that is the water pump going out and the radiator cracked :p

but i have a pushrod.

OP
OP
A

AzzLyp

Reaction score
Overheat you mean water boiling out? And you say the engine has developed a new pattern? My guess...headbolt failure. But this is worse case scenario. It may be just over heated plug wires that finally gave up. Dig in and look around.
Yessir, when it overheated, pretty much took 2 gallons to fill it back up. I did notice that it ran smoother when I moved the ignition coil end plugs around, that's what's making me think it's ignition related.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
bs.austin.tx

Members online