motor/trans rear-end whats wrong? PLS Help!

wolvee123

Reaction score
I went to Harcore Motorsports open house today and while I was leaving I noticed that I don't have as much giddy-up as I start to go... It seems like Im taking off in second when Im in first; When Im on the highway @ 70mph im doing about 2k and something new today, while in 5th I press the gas down to 3/4 and the RPM's go all the way up to 3300 and then while my foot is still in the same place the rpm's go back down to about a normal rpm range... it seems that all the gears do this. Some stats that may help are 96GT 5speed all stock with 315's in the back and I just cracked the intake coolant passage also... Doesnt leak much but is still in need of a change.... My car has 119k miles on it which most are freeway. I have a suspition the either its the rear-end or the trans, but since this is my first car of the this type I have no idea...... :cussing:
thanks
Mike
96gtVertSXYNERD

OP
OP
W

wolvee123

Reaction score
I thought the gears had to grind if it was the clutch? THis is my first manual so my knowledge is very limited! thanks for teh reply...
Mike

OP
OP
W

wolvee123

Reaction score
Ive heard from a few people now that it could be the clutch, Now the great question... What's a good clutch for the money... I will never want to make more than 350hp and I only occationally slam it down.... ok maybe a little more than occationaly but not that often... Right now my 96npi motor is all stock minus a CAI, pullies, TB and Exhaust. In a few days Ill be putting a PI intake (only) on. I dont anticipate anything more until the motor goes south and I can do a full PI motor exchange...
:) thanks in advance
Mike
96GTvertSXYNERD

Matt94GT

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Yeah must be the clutch id say. I would get a clutch and a aftermarket adjustable cable and quadrent as well so add that too the list its not much mabye like $80 more. Anyways SPEC Clutches I have heard are nice. Artsperformanceparts.com sells them.

ALITL8

Reaction score
just do a google search for "performance clutch, 96 Mustang GT". pick one that fits your needs. i dont remember the brand clutch we installed but it made out of kevlar and its been very dependable ;) btw, we bought it at Stangparts.com

Dalamar

Post Whore
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Stangparts has good prices.

good luck with the fix/upgrade.

94gtstang50

Reaction score
So with a quadrant installed, will I not have to let the pedal out to the point where my knee hits the steering wheel for the clutch to engage?

ALITL8

Reaction score
94GtStAnG5o said:
So with a quadrant installed, will I not have to let the pedal out to the point where my knee hits the steering wheel for the clutch to engage?

you shouldnt have to do that anyway ???

94gtstang50

Reaction score
The clutch is starting to go though. Will be in the market for a king cobra clutch this summer.

ALITL8

Reaction score
aha... well, there you go, replace the clutch and that problem should go away. i dont have the adjustable clutch quadrant and dont know that i really need it. maybe when/if i break the factory part i'll install one :dunno:

OP
OP
W

wolvee123

Reaction score
Ive decided to go with a kingCobra clutch... Does any one think this is a bad Idea? As of now I dont have any major HP but will be changing to a 99+PI motor in a few months.
Thanks
Mike :)

98stalkercobra

Reaction score
Its the clutch i promise you that one! i had they same problem in my 96GT and in my cobra, and if you are going to replace it and plan on heavily modding the car u might as well put a performance clutch and flywheels in it!

OP
OP
W

wolvee123

Reaction score
Found a clutch from a 99 that's life was cut short by a semi "RIP". Anyway it only has 34k miles and I already installed it... Now, I have to learn the clutch all over again. Thanks Everyone

wolvee123 :)

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
marktuck99

Members online