my hatchback project

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:
realitygt said:
that looks like a solid car to begin with. how much did you get it for? btw i love the rims :)

It does have some decent rust in areas... the floor pans, the roof, and that's about it. The frame is solid, the strut towers are solid, the K member is "surface rusty and dirty" but it's solid ( I think I can upgrade it though). There isn't much in there in terms of wiring, so anything I want I will have to either get a harness for, or study a diagram and make myself which in all seriousness wouldn't be that bad. No engine or tranny.

I'm going with a 331 stroker ( have a 302 long block I'm tearing down), edelbrock or AFR heads, edelbrock air gap intake, holly 650+ carb, and the cam is yet to be decided but you bet your a$$ it will be radical; world class T5(or TKO500) and 3.73s in an 8.8". I'm hopin for a solid 12 second car all said and done. You think I can make this car pull wheelies? I'm not talking wheel stands, but on the launch lift up both tires a little bit.

I paid $300... well, I paid $60 and somehow my mom handed me $240 to seal the deal. SHe said she wants to drive it when I'm done, which is no prob. My mom's first car she picked was a 65 (or so) Mustang.

yeah you could probably get that car to pull wheelies, foxes are great with weight transfer.

I'm hoping to get my camaro to be able to do a wheel stand by the end of my project too lol and it weighs 4306 lbs (I was stripping out more out the interior and I found a build sheet hidden inbetween the insulation of the backseats I was reading it and it's really interesting to read what all this car had on it from the factory lol)

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
realitygt said:
monkeydude3 said:
realitygt said:
that looks like a solid car to begin with. how much did you get it for? btw i love the rims :)

It does have some decent rust in areas... the floor pans, the roof, and that's about it. The frame is solid, the strut towers are solid, the K member is "surface rusty and dirty" but it's solid ( I think I can upgrade it though). There isn't much in there in terms of wiring, so anything I want I will have to either get a harness for, or study a diagram and make myself which in all seriousness wouldn't be that bad. No engine or tranny.

I'm going with a 331 stroker ( have a 302 long block I'm tearing down), edelbrock or AFR heads, edelbrock air gap intake, holly 650+ carb, and the cam is yet to be decided but you bet your a$$ it will be radical; world class T5(or TKO500) and 3.73s in an 8.8". I'm hopin for a solid 12 second car all said and done. You think I can make this car pull wheelies? I'm not talking wheel stands, but on the launch lift up both tires a little bit.

I paid $300... well, I paid $60 and somehow my mom handed me $240 to seal the deal. SHe said she wants to drive it when I'm done, which is no prob. My mom's first car she picked was a 65 (or so) Mustang.

yeah you could probably get that car to pull wheelies, foxes are great with weight transfer.

I'm hoping to get my camaro to be able to do a wheel stand by the end of my project too lol and it weighs 4306 lbs (I was stripping out more out the interior and I found a build sheet hidden inbetween the insulation of the backseats I was reading it and it's really interesting to read what all this car had on it from the factory lol)

Sweet deal. I figure it can pull better wheelies with no rust... and an engine, ha! I thought with a solid engine, 3.73s, a good posi and heavy duty axles with sticky tires, it should be possible. Especially since the car is gonna be as bare bones as I can. I have the car almost completely gutted... and was not lucky enough to find a build sheet. Either there wasn't one or it was snagged before I got the car.

We get our fire department checks tuesday, I think... so I will be ordering floor pans!

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
good luck on the project and post up more pics plz (the more the better)

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
I did a bunch of grinding spot welds on the roof last night guys, but the camera wouldn't take pictures worth a fart in the dark even with flash. SO after school today I will take some more and post them up for ya!

I got plenty to do and I plan to take tons of pictures of everything. Roof skin, floor pans, a bunch of little random rust spots here and there... doin a K member R&R, rear end full 331 engine build... plenty, and I hope to do the best picture-writeup that I can.

Thanks everyone for following this!

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Just took some pix today. Again sorry for some of the quality on them, the camera seems to be moody. I may have my sister take her $600 camera out to the garage with me and take some high-qual pix for ya guys.

But I did some more grinding and here ya go

Corner ground down, both corners look the same

IMG_0128.jpg

Passenger side

IMG_0116.jpg

Driver's side

IMG_0122.jpg

Here is where I'm working for now

IMG_0120.jpg

Used this to melt the body solder away

IMG_0140.jpg

Used this to grind most of the spot welds down. I found that on the back of the roof where the hatch covers, I will NEED to use a spot weld cutter/drill bit there. So those will be ordered from Matco shortly... I get the "Votech" student price there! O0

IMG_0141.jpg

Here is the problems with the floor pans. Those are next on my 'hit list.' Those should be ordered up in a week or two.

IMG_0139.jpg

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Well given that last night went down the toilet, I stopped working on my car. So far I have the front and both sides of the roof skin completely ready to come off, but the back will have to wait for the special drill bits. Gonna call my Matco guy this week once I get paid.

My sister did have time to snap a shot of me by the car. ha

monday070.jpg

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
monkeydude3 said:
Some minor rot at the bottom left corner of where the windshield will go. This should be patchable once I get my welding skill from none to slight...ha
same here, I've never welded a thing in my life. My dad knows how to do the welding and body work so I'm gonnna be relying on him heavily for that. I know mainly how to do everything in the driveline. the only thing we both don't have is tools lol, like we have the basic's like a bench grinder and sockets and wrenches and some tubing cutter. that's where my grandpa comes in rofl, he's got everything and knows 10x more about engines than I will ever know, so If there's anything I can't figure out on my own I call him up and he's got the answer.

and same q to you, what's gonna be your goal on this car? color, drivetrain choice? is it gonna be a beast that lives in the garage or one that lives at the track?

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Well, my dad knows how to weld (how much in depth I have yet to discover). He used to work for the Schumacher company, and by that I mean he used to work directly with Tony Schumacher... who now drives the US Army Drag car. However many years back my dad amongst many people got laid off... ::sigh:: I did have the priviledge to sit in Tony's VERY FIRST tiny yellow drag car when I was like seven! I will dig up that picture for ya guys. I have registere to take a welding basics class come January, so hopefully by the time I start putting stuff back together I will have an understanding of what to do!

I'm an incredible gearhead and as long as there is no huge time crunch I'm willing to dive into most anything and learn how to do it. I've done almost all mechanical work in my time and this is my first bout with body work. So I will learn as I go. I have countless neighbors with muscle cars and mechanical/body experience, so if I need it help or advice is only footsteps away.

What do I want to do with the car? A lot is still to be decided. I want the car to be completely race inspired. I will have an 8 point cage in it, fully built suspension, drag radials out back, etc. The thing about the interior, is most of it was gone when I got it, so it will all be custom and probably won't have many 'factory' Mustang parts in it, which is okay, because it will be a way I can give a shot at my artisticness.

The color... I'm thinking I will stay with black, but give her a completely fresh coat and fix all the imperfections I can. Drive train.... well I have a 302 out of an 89 I bought. I am going to rebuild it into a 331 stroker, put edelbrock, trick flow, or AFR heads on it, with an Edelbrock air gap intake, and a 650-750 Holley carb. Cam will be custom ground to match my setup best. Probably going to go with a world class T5 transmission because I'm not looking for rediculously insane horsepower numbers.

It will not be a daily driver, so it won't see use frequently. However, it will see track time and street time, and it will be driven like it was meant to be driven.

[/quote]

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
Hey guys. Small update. Got almost all of the welds out of the outside of the roof, but I have a strip of them to do at the rear which will require the special drill bits because I can't fit my dremel in that angle.

Also, I BELIEVE there are some more welds underneath the skin on the inside that I will have to take care of.

So tomorrow I will call my Matco guy we deal with through school and order up a set.

In the mean time I started removing the front parts of the car... the two fenders and the bumper. So far I have the right fender off, and the left partially un bolted and the front will still remain.

I'm a the point where I have decided the next shopping trip I make, I'm getting zip loc bags and I'm going to try and label where all my hardware came from.

Here's a pic of the fender off...

IMG_0142.jpg

Reaction score
Hey just seen this. I know you were kinda updating me on progress but didn't know you had a thread about it. Did you take the door off with a Hurst tool? LOL

realitygt

Legend
Reaction score
instad of using plastic bags I got some blue tape and laid the screws on it and wrote what it came from on there, only cause it was laying around :/ I need some plastic bags :(

OP
OP
M

monkeydude3

Reaction score
some sad news... found some hidden frame rot on the front in the engine compartment... so I'm parting out the car and I'm gonna start over at a later date.

argh

zhouchaojie

Reaction score
Unless you've been hiding within a dungeon somewhere restoration the Their society Cup is in such a summer. Millions of football fans put on their cheap nfl jerseys china to watch live football games in stadium.