My IRS swap

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Today, I brought the rear differential mount bracket to work and swapped the bushing.

75BA3023-FDE8-4D90-8411-73D788EE96FA_zps5e77yc7x.jpg

223A888D-0A76-4A61-BF71-0477467EFBBA_zpsotqs3vdd.jpg

The oem rubber bushing wasn't in terrible shape but was relatively easy to compress by hand.

8191ABED-8894-4696-9F80-1D4013DF13AD_zpsbfixoghr.jpg

Well, I didnt get get any pictures using the press but here's the end result:

C63FB1BC-8433-4622-9C34-0BFDB0C51945_zpsmh7qtexs.jpg

OP
OP
white95

white95

Apex Junky
Admin
Reaction score
Hell, I do that daily!! I have decided to finish this up this year or sell it all.

rz5.0

Legend
Reaction score
Noooooo.... i actually wanted a watts link.. it took a lil to long to come out and i already had the irs from the 95..

DavidBoren

Reaction score
Man, out of all the mainstream Flintstones stick axle upgrades out there for the mustang, none of them address just how truly terrible the OEM suspension really is. Even the relocation brackets that put the upper control arms at a better angle do not address the fact that there are too many upper control arms. Even the adjustable lower control arm brackets don't address the fact that the lower links are too short. A watts link and/or torque arm will not solve the fact that the rear suspension lacks adequate articulation to provide optimal traction... And it will continue to lack articulation for as long as it has the OEM number of links, and links of OEM lengths.

The ONLY saving grace of the rear suspension, is how piss poor the front suspension is. With such a crappy front suspension providing such minimal traction up front, it's easy to get the rear to match/ balance even if the rear suspension can't articulate worth a damn.

What mustangs have from the factory is an overwhelming abundance of NON-traction.

Putting a short/ long arm suspension (the cobra IRS) in the rear of a car that has an inferior MacPherson strut front suspension almost doesn't make sense, because it allows superior traction in the rear, which is wrong. You can only go as fast as your FRONT tires can grip. So you really want more traction up front, then just balance the rear.

But no matter what, the irs will still be superior to the stick axle in terms of potential traction. And, if you really want your car to handle well, you can rob a bank and buy the Griggs racing SLA front suspension. Then you would have a short/ long arm suspension front and rear. And, with only $10,000 sunk into fancy bent tubes and some springs, you will have successfully brought your mustang into this millennium. Congratulations.

Put the solid axle in a truck where it belongs... along with the factory 4x4 mustang springs.

Pete@FTR

Preferred Vendor
Reaction score
I'll preface this post by saying, I respect your opinion. You raise some good points and your grammar and punctuation are better than 99% of the population.

none of them address just how truly terrible the OEM suspension really is.

The OEM suspension is not terrible - for a street car. Ford engineers aren't idiots. The geometry is actually pretty good for a street car. However, once the car is lowered, the geometry is FUBAR'ed and thousands of dollars worth of parts are required to correct it. Most of the "advanced" suspension components out there are built to correct the geometry.

I spend hours every day researching, designing, and testing components to address the shortcomings of the stock suspension.

Even the relocation brackets that put the upper control arms at a better angle do not address the fact that there are too many upper control arms.

If you are trying to make a mustang handle properly, you are going to 86 the UCAs immediately because they are terrible for a race car. So this is a non-issue.

Even the adjustable lower control arm brackets don't address the fact that the lower links are too short.
They aren't terribly short. Generally longer is better when it comes to control arms, but there is a trade off when it comes to rigidity and unsprung weight.

A watts link and/or torque arm will not solve the fact that the rear suspension lacks adequate articulation to provide optimal traction... And it will continue to lack articulation for as long as it has the OEM number of links, and links of OEM lengths.

You are correct in saying they will not work with the OEM links. A watts link and torque arm should be installed at the same time, and subsequently the UCA's are deleted.

The ONLY saving grace of the rear suspension, is how piss poor the front suspension is. With such a crappy front suspension providing such minimal traction up front, it's easy to get the rear to match/ balance even if the rear suspension can't articulate worth a damn.

Very true. Its easier to get a mustang to understeer that it is to make it oversteer.

What mustangs have from the factory is an overwhelming abundance of NON-traction.
That's why people like myself are in business.

Putting a short/ long arm suspension (the cobra IRS) in the rear of a car that has an inferior MacPherson strut front suspension almost doesn't make sense, because it allows superior traction in the rear, which is wrong. You can only go as fast as your FRONT tires can grip. So you really want more traction up front, then just balance the rear.

An aftermarket K member and spindles add a lot to the front traction

But no matter what, the irs will still be superior to the stick axle in terms of potential traction.
The main unavoidable shortcoming of the SRA is unsprung weight. Other than that, 95% of factors can be accounted for.

And, if you really want your car to handle well, you can rob a bank and buy the Griggs racing SLA front suspension. Then you would have a short/ long arm suspension front and rear. And, with only $10,000 sunk into fancy bent tubes and some springs, you will have successfully brought your mustang into this millennium. Congratulations.

Put the solid axle in a truck where it belongs... along with the factory 4x4 mustang springs.

Lets not forget that Brett beat a Lotus last season in a SRA/MacPherson strut mustang. Even with that classic MacPherson inside tire positive camber :thumbsup:

11026041_798815170207836_4825512628893615467_o.jpg

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Slow_1996_2V

Members online