My spark plugs are white!

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
So I pulled out a spark plug to check the gap and I found that one side of the plug was all white and had chunks of stuff on it. This means there there's a lean mixture or too much heat, correct? I know that my motor isn't running hot, so it has to be lean..?

All I have is a midpipe, catback, and an fipk2. This wouldnt lean it out too much, would it?

My pinging situation has gotten worse too. It'll ping at around 1800 rpm if in a steep gear and some load is put on it. I havn't gotten to change out hte fuel filter yet so I'm hoping that's it.

Anything else that it could be?

EThorpe

Reaction score
Have you read this yet? http://www.sn95forums.com/forum/index.php?topic=72.0

A pic of the plug would be better, but it's sounds lean to me, there's a buttload of crap it could be. I hope this car has atleast been tuned up lately? and change the Fuel filter before you go digging around since you already have one.

1) Check the simple stuff first, vacuum leaks around the intake boot, lines ect...
2) Clean the Air flow sensor with Carb/electronic cleaner
3) Check to make sure the Idle-Air-Control valve isn't stuck wide open, Bad EGR can also cause a lean problem. Make sure these things aren't semi-crusty and clogging open/close.

After these few things are checked? it could get wild and $$$$! Low fuel pressure/Dying or clog fuel injectors/Failing fuel regulator/Fuel pump, MAP/TPS and O2 sensors dying, sometimes these things DO-NOT throw codes till they fail completely.

Dig around, check it out

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
EThorpe said:

A pic of the plug would be better, but it's sounds lean to me, there's a buttload of crap it could be. I hope this car has atleast been tuned up lately? and change the Fuel filter before you go digging around since you already have one.

1) Check the simple stuff first, vacuum leaks around the intake boot, lines ect...
3) Check to make sure the Idle-Air-Control valve isn't stuck wide open, Bad EGR can also cause a lean problem. Make sure these things aren't semi-crusty and clogging open/close.

After these few things are checked? it could get wild and $$$$! Low fuel pressure/Dying or clog fuel injectors/Failing fuel regulator/Fuel pump, MAP/TPS and O2 sensors dying, sometimes these things DO-NOT throw codes till they fail completely.

Dig around, check it out

Thanks. I'm going to replace the filter today. I replaced the fuel pump about a year ago and cleaned the maf about 2 weeks ago. The iac was cleaned about 3 months ago, but how do I check if it's stuck open all the time?

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
I replaced the fuel filter and took it for a spin. I'd say my pinging is 90% better because there's none at low rpm's, and only some that is detectable at about 4800-redline when under full load. I guess O'll bump it to 89oc instead of the 87oc I'm using right now.

I pulled out the other plugs and they are MUCH better than the first one I took out. They had a very faint trace of whiteness on them, but it was almost like it was dust because just touching it would cause it to come off.

I'm going to replace the first plug with a new one because what I find odd is that only one side of it is completely white while the other side is perfect. I'm thinking it's arcing wrong and going off to the side before going to the electrode or something..

Lightning Struck

Post Whore
Reaction score
EThorpe said:

good link there

Dig around, check it out

uncltrvlnmatt

Post Whore
Reaction score
If you are useing 87 octane gas that could definatly cause your pinging problem. Espacially if the car requires premium fuel. Also useing 87 octane gas could cause you to burn lean as well. Your plugs are probably burning to hot for 87 octane gas. Ford puts Premium fuel only on the fuel gauge for a reason. Fill it with premium and change your plugs, it should run allot better. I know it costs more but your car will be happier in the long run.

OP
OP
M

MAXX RS4

Reaction score
uncltrvlnmatt said:
If you are useing 87 octane gas that could definatly cause your pinging problem. Espacially if the car requires premium fuel. Also useing 87 octane gas could cause you to burn lean as well. Your plugs are probably burning to hot for 87 octane gas. Ford puts Premium fuel only on the fuel gauge for a reason. Fill it with premium and change your plugs, it should run allot better. I know it costs more but your car will be happier in the long run.

My car calls for 87 (I have a gt) and I use 89. I guess I gotta step up and pay the $3.15/g for premium and see if that helps..

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Diabolic2010