Need a little help with brakes on my irs swap

Reaction score
Alright im getting serious about the irs swap but first i need to spend a little money. First on the list is bushing kit which without question will come from full tilt. The part im unsure about is brakes. When i got my irs all the brakes were gone so when i buy brakes what all do i need and what parts will interchange? Are irs brakes irs specific? Or will pretty much any upgraded brakes from 94-04 work? I noticed thats how they usually sell as if they are all pretty much the same but its unclear on wetheror not they will fit a cobra or if i need to buy cobra specific brakes. Not trying to buy the best or anything, just want a good brakes setup for a good price. Im not scared of used parts either as long as its still usable lol. Thanks

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
You will need cobra spec brake rotors and pads. The rotors are bigger and they are vented, making the pads thinner. Your calipers and brakes and hardware is all the same and will swap over. The biggest issue you will have will be the brake lines. The rubber lines to the calipers need to be for the irs and that means you have to Tee the hard line from the body and run a hard line to the driver side.

OP
OP
Orgawesome_98coyote
Reaction score
You will need cobra spec brake rotors and pads. The rotors are bigger and they are vented, making the pads thinner. Your calipers and brakes and hardware is all the same and will swap over. The biggest issue you will have will be the brake lines. The rubber lines to the calipers need to be for the irs and that means you have to Tee the hard line from the body and run a hard line to the driver side.
Nice, im not sure where i will get my brakes.

OP
OP
Orgawesome_98coyote
Reaction score
Honestly i need to post some pics of what i have so maybe someone that has done this before and has seen all the components can tell me if im missing anything and what all i need. So yeah, ill post some pics this evening. The irs came out of a guy's car that i kinda know but haven't talked to in awhile. He was leaving the drag races one night in his cobra,gassed on it and it wheel hopped violently into the ditch where it then flipped (go figure right???) my brother and i had the privilege of fixing the car and thats where he decided to pull the irs and do a straight axle swap and he robbed all the brakes off of it in the process. So whatever one would likely rob off of one in the process is what i will likely need i just don't know what all that consist of. Also the rear does have a bent tie rod end that i will need to replace but thats all.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
Yeah man, post up some pictures. I had an irs swap for my car and sold it unfortunately, but I've got a solid list of what needs to happen. 

OP
OP
Orgawesome_98coyote
Reaction score
Pretty straight forward it seems. Calipers and rotors are the obvious of course. Just want to make sure im not missing any brackets or sensors. Want to make sure i have everything before i start this project.

Wichers123

Reaction score
On my 96 my brake lines are already seperate. So I just leave the calipers hanging swap in the irs and bolt them to the cobra brackets. I'm about to do all the bushings poly just ordered all the bushings for about 145 bucks total.

OP
OP
Orgawesome_98coyote
Reaction score
On my 96 my brake lines are already seperate. So I just leave the calipers hanging swap in the irs and bolt them to the cobra brackets. I'm about to do all the bushings poly just ordered all the bushings for about 145 bucks total.
Awesome, you just used the factory 96 brakes? I think im reading that right?

Wichers123

Reaction score
I believe that's how it works from what I read. I haven't done the swap yet hoping to start this weekend will know something in a few weeks for sure.

OP
OP
Orgawesome_98coyote
Reaction score
Cool, its good to know i can at least get it rolling without breaking the bank right off. Upgraded brakes is def something I want but its nice to know i can do it later.

lwarrior1016

Staff
Reaction score
I was getting ready for the swap in my 98 and from the master cylinder there is only one hard line coming down the passenger side to the rear of the car. Then the rubber line to the RR caliper has a tee built into it and that's where the hard line for the LR caliper comes from. The IRS rubber caliper lines are different than SRA rubber lines. The way I understood it, was you had to use the irs rubber lines when you do the swap because they route a little different. I have heard of people just rebending the stock lines to get them where they need to be. I will see if I can come up with some pictures I had for my swap and ill post them up.

Also, it looks to me like all you need to do is move your hardware to the spindle. Cobra rotors and pads, then your same calipers and brackets will bolt right up.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
senior001

Members online