Need Advice/ Exhaust Pipe Heat Tape~PLEASE

robb15033

Reaction score
LINK
http://www.sn95forums.com/showthread.php?70428-New-Exhaust-Heat-Reduction-In-Engine-Bay

101_2212_zpsrsorp6tp.jpg

101_2211_zps3m1yyxec.jpg

the5.ohh

Legend
Reaction score
The manifolds / aftermarket headers are what give off most of the heat. Wrap those instead

lwarrior1016

Mr. Secondary Timing Chain
Staff
Reaction score
We are in the 2v section so im going to guess that you have a 2v. What kind of headers are you running? The stock manifolds have been on and used for many years and not many have complained about heat. Plus the amount of work it would take to wrap those wouldn't be worth it at all. Now, if you have aftermarket headers you might be happy wrapping them. Either way it goes, doing this in the car would almost be an impossible task.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
are you just wanting to lower under hood temps or are you tired of the tranny hump being so hot that it keeps you warm? To keep the temps down on the hump when I had the motor pulled out I put a layer of heat resistant material on the hump. It was self adhesive but I used some rivits with washers on them to hold it up as well in case the adhesive fails later.
thb_5754221443193349-528a92fc55.jpg

now to help the under hood temps I sent off my headers to nitroplate and had them covered. I would recommend It to anyone/everyone as they were great to work with but it wasn't long after I just had them finish the parts I needed done(upper and lower intake and the throttle body) that they announced that they were not doing small orders anymore.

96blak54

Staff
Reaction score
^ HEY! Thermal reflective roof patch perfect application!

Driven by a tiny bore and more stroke than a 514cuin

evilcw311

Most Evil Member!
SN95 Supporter
Reaction score
Then you could eat from the bottom of your car..........

This message courtesy of crapatalk!

OP
OP
robb15033

robb15033

Reaction score
I added it to 2V because got no response from 4v. It's a Cobra, I"m just looking for a slight heat reduction anywhere in the engine area and anywhere i can, when I can.
I'm using stock manifolds, the downpipes and cats are all sealed with high temp coating and a rust prevention coating I've been using in the mechanical field for decades.
So, from what i gather, this wrap seems to be useless.
-Thanks for the responses.
I will take temp readings before and after I do the work just to see what happens.

ttocs

Post Whore
Reaction score
not sure why you would say its useless. Maybe on the x/h-pipe but there is a reason its used on so many other cars. It will be hard to wrap a stock header though and not sure how much it will help it just because most of the time when people wrap them its after upgrading them. I went with the ceramic coating mainly because I do not like the look of tape and the heat shielding I think is a good idea on almost any car.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chasingomas

Members online